In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Do MG's and SMG's only increase in value?

PieceofpaperPieceofpaper Member Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2006 in General Discussion
Do machine guns and sub-machine guns only increase in value? Im thinking of investing some money in a MG or SMG thats around $5000.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    unless the government starts obeying the constitution for some odd reason, yes they'll get more expensive. The reason is that no more MGs are to be sold on the civvie market except the ones that were registered in 1982 (I think 82)
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    to answer that question, some variables need to be considered:

supply: unless a drastic and most unlikely change is made to the legislature is made, no more legal and therefore trasnferrable mg's will be made. thus, the supply is finite.

demand: the demand for machine guns is, at this time, stable and large. could the gun owning population one day wake up and decide that they, as a collective group, no longer have an interest in them; im sure its possible but highly unlikely. more likey, the demand will increase as more gun owners enter the market. and at the very least, the demand will remain the same.

so if the supply remmain the same, and demand remanins the same or increases, prices will hold or rise from ther current level. if either supply or demand changes, the calculus of the equation changes, but in a predicatable manner.

mg's are, IMHO, a good investment. tough to justify to folks like the wife etc, but reasonable nonetheless.....
  • Options
    dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Long term?, of course. Short term?, that depends on the economy at that moment in time. Nothing is always going up all the time, they are all subject to market forces, and if the economy is going in the tank, non-essential items normally go into short term decline.
    Don't worry about it if it does, it will be back.[:)]
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • Options
    PieceofpaperPieceofpaper Member Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds like investing in gold. I'm going to wait until awhile before I make my final decision.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not the same as gold at all. There is more gold being mined all the time and it has real practical usage value, so the dynamics are different. The MG is a collectors items and a fun toy for some people, so it has a value that is directly influenced by the disposable cash level of individuals.

Gold, in point of fact, is a "fear" investment that people flock to when they are uncertain about economic conditions or the future. Items like MG's and other collectibles tend to rise more during periods of excess money and general optimism. That's not to say some people wouldn't buy one during a time of fear, but the total market tends to decline for collectible items.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prices will PLUMMET the day after I buy one
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx
    Prices will PLUMMET the day after I buy one

So what, just hang on to the thing and it will go up long term. You will only take a loss if you panic and sell. What durable good that is no longer available and is wanted by the general public is not worth many times what it was 20, 30, or 40 years ago? Your grandkids might be able to retire on it.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK I should have said that prices will PLUMMET, the laws will change and you will be able to buy them from the CMP soon after I buy one

My point being - I am the world's worst invester [xx(]