In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Waiting Period,Background check,Whats next?

elvjeepelvjeep Member Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2007 in General Discussion
House OKs bill requiring waiting time, ultrasound before abortions

TALLAHASSEE - A woman seeking an abortion in Florida would have to wait 24 hours before going through with it under a bill passed Friday by the state House. The measure could also make it more likely that she would see an ultrasound image of the fetus before undergoing the procedure.
The House may be as far as that idea goes this year, however, with the waiting period and the effort to require more pre-abortion ultrasounds unlikely to be accepted by the Senate.

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Trey Traviesa, R-Orlando, would require abortion providers perform ultrasounds before almost all abortions, instead of just those in the second or third trimesters as required by current law.

Viewing the images would be optional, but women would have to sign waivers stating they declined the doctors' offers to do so.

The bill (HB 1497) passed 71-42, mostly along party lines with Republicans in favor.

The 24-hour waiting period and ultrasound sections of the bill were tacked onto what had started out as a less controversial measure that was meant to help judges make decisions in cases in which a minor is seeking to have an abortion without notifying her parents.

Florida's parental notice law allows a girl to have an abortion without telling her parents by getting a judge to approve it. But judges have said it's a difficult decision they sometimes aren't equipped to make. Originally, the bill had only sought to assign special guardians in those cases to help judges determine what was in the best interest of the girl seeking the abortion.

House Republicans who oppose abortion added the waiting period and ultrasound requirements, saying there was nothing wrong with trying to make women think seriously before undergoing such a serious procedure.

Several pointed out that government calls for waiting periods or allows time to back out of a decision on a number of things - from buying a gun to joining a health club to carrying out the death penalty. State law even allows people three days to back out of an encyclopedia purchase, one lawmaker noted.

"It doesn't do anything to take away women's right to choose,'' said Rep. Kevin Ambler, R-Lutz. "What it does do is put in place a thoughtful and deliberative process to think it through.''

The proposal drew the ire of abortion rights supporters. Rep. Kelly Skidmore said it was insulting that those pushing the bill thought women wouldn't deliberate the decision on their own. "It suggests that I would be so cavalier in coming to the decision to terminate a pregnancy that I should go back home and think it over, as if I were out shopping and walked by a clinic and decided to pop in for an abortion,'' said Skidmore, D-Boca Raton. "What an outrage.''

The Senate hasn't considered either the waiting period or the ultrasound idea, and even backers of the proposal have acknowledged the bill is unlikely to pass the Senate, which is a generally more moderate body.

The Senate could still pass the bill to put special guardians into the notification process, but the two versions of the bills would have to be worked out before anything becomes law.
tnDSC00012.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,703 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why on earth do they want to show fetus pictures to the woman getting an abortion....why leave the man out....why not throw a pile of money on the table and show the (would be) parents exactly how much it will cost to raise this unborn child....and show them a picture of what could be the future boyfriend/girlfriend of this unborn child...go out to their cars and shove pudding pops down into the upolstry of the car...break at least four pains of glass in the home (or car...whichever you choose) and then to top it all off go do all of the above to both sets of grandparents....because in the end we all KNOW who will be raising these children of people less prepared for houseplants than parenthood.

It ust KILLS me how "pro life" some people can be....when you know dang well they aren't going to do one silly thing to help these children if they were born. My guess is that these same people haven't delt with the young people of today at all....and have NO clue what it will be like in 30 yrs or so if abortion rights are gone.

I don't like the idea of "talking loosers into keeping babies" when we all know what it leads to. These are usually people who you wouldn't let house-sit your pets....but we want them to HAVE CHILDREN!!!!

I know there are hundreds of other cases where women who are not complete trash have these procedures....but these less-attractive subjects out number them 10 fold at least.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    For all those who think it should be OK for parents to murder their own children, here is a challenge:

If it is REALLY such a good thing, set the example and perform a retroactive abortion on yourself. You get to pick the method.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have seen so many "bad areas" and idiots who BARELY could take care of themselves lately.....if you were to tell me THAT was going to be my family and this was going to be my future....you could put one between my eyes gladly.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nunn, we agree on many points, but this isn't one of them. I'd rather see people who aren't ready for parenthood get abortions than be stuck with children they don't want who will probably end up as criminals, or at least low-life scum because they'll be able to tell from day one as a child that they weren't wanted to begin with.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    Your rights = Sacred, invaluable.

Rights of humans not yet able to speak for themselves = Not worthy of consideration.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,421 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    For all those who think it should be OK for parents to murder their own children, here is a challenge:

If it is REALLY such a good thing, set the example and perform a retroactive abortion on yourself. You get to pick the method.
    nunn hit the X-ring!
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,421 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    Nunn, we agree on many points, but this isn't one of them. I'd rather see people who aren't ready for parenthood get abortions than be stuck with children they don't want who will probably end up as criminals, or at least low-life scum because they'll be able to tell from day one as a child that they weren't wanted to begin with.
    Do you realize how long are the waiting lists of people who will adopt a baby?
  • Options
    PC800PC800 Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find it odd that people support abortion saying it is just fine to kill the baby before it is born, but then will scream and rant and rave when a person kills a baby after the baby has been born. Just don't see the difference. Murder is murder.
  • Options
    KimbercoltKimbercolt Member Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont think it should be so easy to end a life.
    that said, only when it endangers the life of the mother.
    it is a birth brought on by rape, that is when I think
    it should be O.K.
    look at the birth control options, why are they getting
    pregnant. to get more welfare checks? there are people that cant have kids, they adopt. there are more here than killing unwanted kids.
    yes that my .02
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There are MILLIONS of children waiting to be adopted....they are sitting there waiting...kidney problems, retardation, aids, learning problems.....not to mention the genes that have been passed onto these children that make you wonder IF they too will pass on the traits given to them by this wonderful circle of "life."

People just don't want THOSE children....they live in foster homes which we all know is just DREAMY.

My very own COMPLETE WAIST OF TIME sister gave up a child for adoption....I know what ailments that little baby girl had...AND I also know that the father was mentally ill. So...of all three children she HAS (by different fathers each) and the abortion she had...and the miscarrage....and the adoption I spoke of....there is NO good way to look at it. She shouldn't have kids...and won't stop...so she should just keep having them right....so we all get to deal with these things.....right.
  • Options
    KimbercoltKimbercolt Member Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    right you see the people
    they need a sign, cant be allowed to have kids.
    there are some fruitcakes, but if we start that
    remember the nazi, we cant stoop to that level.
    but there are steps that can be taken,
    birth control needs to happen.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if adoption really worked in this country no one would have to adopt from overseas...most pro-lifers have a stinking tizzy if schools would try any kind of realistic sex ed classes to prepare youth for puberty...i don't have the wisdom to draw a line, but one should be set for a society to function as a whole
  • Options
    Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1
    An antiseptic and clinical statement here. No malice or challenge intended to anyone or to anyone's beliefs and values.

As long as abortion is deemed to be a legal and viable alternative in our system and society, then it is the mother's right to decide if she wants one or not.

We cannot pick and choose WHAT individual right should be defended because we either believe in it or don't. If enough of us (society) are so opposed, then it is up to us (society) to pursue legal and lawful changes. We are each free to champion that.

The very one and the same U.S. Constitution that grants TRTKBA ALSO protects a woman's individual right to choose within the boundaries defined by subsequent laws. And it also protects our individual right to believe and worship as we see fit - or not - without interference from or involvement of the government.

Case closed, no matter what our respective moral compass and/or religious beliefs dictate. We simply cannot have it both ways. All of this is part and parcel of a free society enjoying a Bill of Rights that has stood the test of 230+ years.