In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Italeri 1:48 Scale Ju-87G-2 Build Progression

11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
edited May 2014 in General Discussion
This bird is already hanging in my living room. Because I wasn't doing regular updates on here during the build, I don't have as many pictures of the progress as you fine folks have become accustom to.

Needless to say, the paint on this one was actually significantly more difficult than any of the previous models I've done so far. Straight, definitive lines are a lot harder to achieve than a fade transition between colors.

This particular build is a replica of Oberst Hans-Ulrich Rudel's Stuka Kanonenvogel from 1944. Oberst Rudel was the most successful Stuka Ace in the Luftwaffe.

I'm actually quite pleased with how the instrument panel turned out. There are 5 individual pieces to it (counting the 2 decals). The base for the instrument panel is just a piece of molded plastic, to which the gauge faces for the first level of the instrument panel are attached. Over that is a photo etch part with the instrument panel face and gauge surrounds, and a blank section for the 7 gauges on the raised center section. The decal for those 7 gauges was applied to the blank area, and another photo etch part for that section of the instrument panel with the gauge surrounds was then attached on top of the 2nd decal. Up close, they look like real gauges, with the reflective nature of the decal making the eye think that there is glass over the gauge face.

SDC11583-1.jpg

SDC11592.jpg

SDC11594.jpg

SDC11595.jpg

SDC11596.jpg

SDC11597.jpg

SDC11599.jpg

SDC11600.jpg

SDC11602.jpg

SDC11604.jpg

SDC11605.jpg

SDC11606.jpg

SDC11607.jpg

SDC11636.jpg

SDC11638.jpg

SDC11640.jpg

SDC11644.jpg

SDC11646.jpg

SDC11653.jpg

SDC11655.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ju87B-over-Kannel.jpg

A different kind of model of the Ju87 a digital one you can fly!

I can't remember the guy's name who built this model of the Ju87 for me when I made a series of missions for The Battle of Britain for a CFS3 ad on but it was very cool to fly the Stuka in a sim. It would almost hang with the air brakes and with practice you really could pin point bomb with it (Emphasis on practice)

After the initial attacks in the "Kannel" where it enjoyed success against shipping it was fodder for the Spit and Canes and was withdrawn.
    Here I have made my turn down but have not applied the air brakes

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Stuka was a truly innovative design. It could actually pull itself out of a dive, even if the pilot was unconscious.

You can fly both types of Stuka (dive-bomber and kanonenvogel) in War Thunder. I actually have a G2 in War Thunder, but it takes a lot of luck and skill to actually survive a battle, not to mention help the team.
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    your attention to detail, and skill continually amazes me. Thanks for the pictures, great post!
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another good job, Jake.[;)]
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Viktor
    The Stuka was a truly innovative design. It could actually pull itself out of a dive, even if the pilot was unconscious.

You can fly both types of Stuka (dive-bomber and kanonenvogel) in War Thunder. I actually have a G2 in War Thunder, but it takes a lot of luck and skill to actually survive a battle, not to mention help the team.

Great job! Love the three "hanging" together! The Stuka was very innovative when put into service and very effective at the beginning of the war although they were slaughtered during the Battle of Britain by the RAF and had to be taken out of service over Endland....Spitfire bait! Like most German planes, it was kept in service much too long and really never effective replaced as a dive bomber. One of the first plane models I built was a JU-87 but nothing like this one you are doing as I was a kid and mine looked, well, like done by a 13yold. Left it at home in WV when I left home in the 60's and wish I had it back! Rudel was a great pilot who had over 500 Russian tanks to his credit plus the Russian battleship Marat! And an committed Nazi, through and through. Great job with the model!!
  • Options
    chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gary wray
    quote:Originally posted by Viktor

Great job! Love the three "hanging" together! The Stuka was very innovative when put into service and very effective at the beginning of the war although they were slaughtered during the Battle of Britain by the RAF and had to be taken out of service over Endland....Spitfire bait! Like most German planes, it was kept in service much too long and really never effective replaced as a dive bomber. One of the first plane models I built was a JU-87 but nothing like this one you are doing as I was a kid and mine looked, well, like done by a 13yold. Left it at home in WV when I left home in the 60's and wish I had it back! Rudel was a great pilot who had over 500 Russian tanks to his credit plus the Russian battleship Marat! And an committed Nazi, through and through. Great job with the model!!

Rudel's attack against the Marat makes for some interesting reading.

While the Marat was moored in the defense of Leningrad, the Germans made persistent attacks against her.
    Rudel made it through the heavy ant-aircraft fire and managed a pinpoint vertical dive to which he dropped a 2,000 lb bomb and blew Marat's bow off.
    He pulled out of the dive just at 900 feet, skimming the harbor's waves as he made his way out.
    I believe he did this in a JU-87D, but I'm not certain.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    According to the Wikipedia article on Rudel, Republic-Fairchild used some of his input in the design of the A-10.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good job as there is a lot of work there.
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    l just love the engine.. an inverted V12.. Turned that way so the pilot could have a better view...Theres one on display at the Smithsoniun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong
    l just love the engine.. an inverted V12.. Turned that way so the pilot could have a better view...Theres one on display at the Smithsoniun

Also, on the Bf-109 and Fw-190, it made room to mount a 30mm cannon through the propeller hub.

The one in the model is a Junkers Jumo 211.