In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Idiot of the Year Trophy

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2014 in General Discussion
South Carolina dad, kids OK after 60-hour ordeal in the wilderness with no supplies

After 60 hours lost in the vast wilderness of Congaree National Park in South Carolina, J.R. Kimbler and his kids, ages 6 and 10, are not much worse for wear aside from slight dehydration and a few bug bites and scratches. 'I feel like the world's worst father. But I guess I did pretty good because I kept everybody alive for three days,' Kimbler said after they were released from a hospital.
BY MICHAEL WALSH NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 1:06 PM A A A

A South Carolina family can sleep soundly now that they've been found.

J.R. Kimbler, 43, spent 60 hours lost in the vast wilderness of Congaree National Park with his two young children.

"I feel like the world's worst father. But I guess I did pretty good because I kept everybody alive for three days," Kimbler told reporters after being released from the hospital Tuesday, the day they were rescued.

Kimbler did not take water, food, a trail map or his daughter's asthma medicine when he set off into the woods east of Columbia on Saturday afternoon.

It was only intended to be a short hike, but the trail signs confused Kimbler and the family vanished among the giant trees and swamps of the 27,000-acre park.

After sunset, Kimbler realized they were truly lost and texted an SOS to a friend just before his cellphone died.

Had he not sent that message, there would have been little hope for Kimbler, 6-year-old daughter Jade or 10-year-old son Dakota.

Kimbler had no survival or Boy Scout training.

"Closest I got to that was watching the 'Survivor' series on TV," he told reporters.

Kimbler had been out of the kids' lives for several years and just recently started visiting them on Saturdays. He thought a hike in the woods would be fun.

They drank dirty rainwater that collected in puddles after picking the insects and leaves out of them.

Kimbler also stole some eggs from a wild turkey thinking "we can eat these - crack them open and swallow them whole!"

But he quickly realized that wasn't the case.

"I cracked it open and the bird was too developed. It was gross," he said.

He started to loss hope Monday night but kept it together for his kids' sake. If he started to cry, he said, it would make it much tougher for them.

Eighty people from close to a dozen agencies joined in the search. The park was closed Monday afternoon for the effort.

Kimbler woke up Tuesday at 4:30 a.m. to the sound of a park ranger hollering their names.

Other rangers and ATVs reached the family by sunrise.

"I love every one of you," Kimbler told the rangers. "I want to hug every one of you right now."

Everyone was fine aside from slight dehydration and a few bug bites and scratches. They were released from a nearby hospital after six hours.

Doctors fear that they might have swallowed some parasites from drinking the dirty water and warned the family to watch out for symptoms.

The children live with their mother.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/sc-dad-kids-60-hour-ordeal-wilderness-article-1.1774145#ixzz30Od4j5c9

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We'd get tourists like that in Colorado. Somebody would find the remains next Elk season. State finally started charging people for rescue costs- but a hunting/ fishing license has a .50 fee for rescue fund- covers hunters/ fishers.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    its easier than you realize to get lost and lose your bearings, specially if your not used to it
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I don't see how he could qualify for the award when compared to the 30+ percent of Americans that think the Executive Branch is doing a good job.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs

The children live with their mother.

And that is how it should remain.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have said it many times.

Watching that idiot Les Sroud of Survivorman WILL GET YOU KILLED. Now I have saw where he has been dragging his son along with him for the show.
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    I have said it many times.

Watching that idiot Les Sroud of Survivorman WILL GET YOU KILLED. Now I have saw where he has been dragging his son along with him for the show.

According to the article, it wasn't "survivorman" that he watched, it was "survivor," the stupid "reality" game show where people get voted off the island.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    I'm not the best in the forest.

But know my area well enough to get out. If I head out in the cascades and get lost I know that if I head east or North and south I could be gone for a while. But West there are towns all over the place.
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    I'm not the best in the forest.

But know my area well enough to get out. If I head out in the cascades and get lost I know that if I head east or North and south I could be gone for a while. But West there are towns all over the place.

Yup. It's all about knowing where your nearest major man-made landmark is in relation to where you are planning on being. So if you get lost, but you know there's a highway x-number of miles to the South, just walk South until you're found, or until you reach the highway.

There are few places left in the continental US that you can become truly lost in if you have even the slightest clue on how to navigate in the wilderness.