In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Next Year's Grand Canyon Trip Progress

11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
edited May 2014 in General Discussion
Mrs. Viktor and I are slowly purchasing the gear we're going to use for our trek down the Bright Angel Trail at the Grand Canyon next year.

I found a really good deal on a pair of complete USGI shelter-halves ($20, plush shipping for the pair) in excellent condition that we are going to use for our tent. I figure that way, neither one of us has to carry the full weight of a tent, as each of us will have half of it, and there are multiple other potential uses for the components, such as a halfway decent splint using the tent poles and ropes. My plan for the shelter half fabric itself is to get some of that Rustoleum hydrophobic spray and treat both halves, just in case we get rained on while we're camped out at the Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the canyon.

This search of mine for backpacking gear is really highlighting for me just how good of gear the Army issues to soldiers. I can't find anything like the Army's general-issue sleep system, and anything even remotely similar (i.e., multi-layer sleeping bags) are either lacking the Gortex bivy cover that the Army's sleep system comes with, or they're outrageously expensive ($400 range).

Comments

• Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you have your reservations already?
  • Options
    jesnlsnjesnlsn Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    viktor,

I live 1 1/2 hours from there and have made the hike twice.

Once as an overnight pack trip and once as a straight through go light go fast trip.

What time of year are you planning to do your hike?

Unless you are in phenomenally good shape you want to keep your total pack weight at 30lb or less.

You have an extremely good chance to get hurt if you're in there carrying too much weight and aren't in good physical condition.

Think ultra lightweight. For example my military sleep system with gore tex bivy weighs 12lbs. If you are also taking a tent you don't need the gore tex bivy.

YOur chances of rain in there are pretty slim most times of year.

I would pack an ultra light tent and lightweight sleeping bags at a maximum.

to give you a reference frame I was 41 yrs old last time I did it, I hike and train at 7000 feet and am extremely active and in shape. I went in with about 37 lbs and came out with about 20 and it was tough.

in fact we did Mount Whitney the next year and I went with 42lbs on that trip and I really don't think the canyon trip was much easier. (unless you plan on taking 3 days to go through and only go 7 miles a day)

anyway. don't pack too much stuff, you'll end up leaving it in there.
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    backcountry.com and backcountryedge.com bothe have some great products and good pricing to match. Customer service is top notch too.

Why not get a 2 or 3 person backpacking tent? My kelty gunnison 3 only weighs 6 lbs and sets up in less then 5 minutes. We havent been rained on in it yet but with full rain fly it should be fine. They are a little heavy but check out the thermarest basecamp sleeping pads. my girlfriend had mine and i slept on a cheapo walmart foam pad. She slept like a baby and i was trying to avoid rocks and roots all night.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    plus 2 on the thermarest, that makes a nights sleep way easier in there.
  • Options
    turtles11756turtles11756 Member Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    been down that trail a few times with my old drinking buddy Rambo filled his canteen with rum not water. 110 degrees in the shade if you find any. go light. real light!!! reserve in advance for the beef stew dinner at the ranch.the only station coming in on an AM radio was the Navaho Indian reservation. looked for a desert bighorn down there for days and there he was 50 yards from the parking lot at the trail head what a place down there a the ranch
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jesnlsn
    viktor,

I live 1 1/2 hours from there and have made the hike twice.

Once as an overnight pack trip and once as a straight through go light go fast trip.

What time of year are you planning to do your hike?

Unless you are in phenomenally good shape you want to keep your total pack weight at 30lb or less.

You have an extremely good chance to get hurt if you're in there carrying too much weight and aren't in good physical condition.

Think ultra lightweight. For example my military sleep system with gore tex bivy weighs 12lbs. If you are also taking a tent you don't need the gore tex bivy.

YOur chances of rain in there are pretty slim most times of year.

I would pack an ultra light tent and lightweight sleeping bags at a maximum.

to give you a reference frame I was 41 yrs old last time I did it, I hike and train at 7000 feet and am extremely active and in shape. I went in with about 37 lbs and came out with about 20 and it was tough.

in fact we did Mount Whitney the next year and I went with 42lbs on that trip and I really don't think the canyon trip was much easier. (unless you plan on taking 3 days to go through and only go 7 miles a day)

anyway. don't pack too much stuff, you'll end up leaving it in there.

+10 ,,on that
  • Options
    m88.358winm88.358win Member Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    317wc317wc Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have heard the newer Thermarests have had quality problems, for what its worth my 3 are all over 12 years old and I've never had a problem. I am not sure where you are from or what kind of shape you'll be in by the time you go, but plus+++++ on as light a pack as possible. Shelter halves are not really that light compared to a ultralight backpacking tent. As said it would be unlikely to run into rain. You don't need a bivy sack if you are using a tent. Take enough water, I like wide-mouth Nalgene bottles because my filter screws right on. Some of the new stove sets can boil your water super fast, like under a few minutes. Some of the better dehydrated backpacking rations are not bad and they are light. Don't forget the sunscreen and wide-brimmed hats, and UV resistant clothes might be a good idea if you or your wife are sun-sensitive. Good luck.

EDIT: I wasn't trying to be insulting or condescending. I just know that a lot of people who think they are in shape, run into problems especially at altitude.

IDK if you have looked at Campmor, for example, this shelter, fits 2 people, and weighs under 2 pounds, and is $110, not including shipping. You use your own trekking poles, which you might want to consider. Shock absorbing poles will soak up some stress on your knees and thighs. Turn off the shocks for better uphill advantage. You might want to look at steepandcheap.com for some gear, I have picked up quite a few sleeping backs there for reletively cheap.

FORGOT THE LINK

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___28976
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 317wc
    I have heard the newer Thermarests have had quality problems, for what its worth my 3 are all over 12 years old and I've never had a problem. I am not sure where you are from or what kind of shape you'll be in by the time you go, but plus+++++ on as light a pack as possible. Shelter halves are not really that light compared to a ultralight backpacking tent. As said it would be unlikely to run into rain. You don't need a bivy sack if you are using a tent. Take enough water, I like wide-mouth Nalgene bottles because my filter screws right on. Some of the new stove sets can boil your water super fast, like under a few minutes. Some of the better dehydrated backpacking rations are not bad and they are light. Don't forget the sunscreen and wide-brimmed hats, and UV resistant clothes might be a good idea if you or your wife are sun-sensitive. Good luck.

We're planning on using Camelbak backpacks, probably with 2 reservoirs per pack. That works out to 6L of water each. Yes, water is heavy, but it gets lighter as you use it.

We're planning on a mid-March trip. We're just going to get a backpack camping permit, so we won't have to try to reserve bunks in the cabins at the Phantom Ranch.

I'm trying to find a couple of ultra-light sleeping bags that are good to about 40 degrees or so, and pack up as small as possible.

We're planning on hiking down, staying 1 night, and hiking back up the next day, so there's no real rush, besides getting to the Phantom Ranch in time for supper.

I understand packing light. I was light infantry (11B) for 7.5 years, and I understand that if you pack it, you have to carry it the whole way. There's no option to leave stuff behind. There's no truck to throw your bag on if you're tired.
  • Options
    hunter86004hunter86004 Member Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you doing the entire trail? Coming in from the north rim or south?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hunter86004
    Are you doing the entire trail? Coming in from the north rim or south?

South rim start and end point.
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    shelter halfs are not really that light to be honest. Your better off finding one of those pop up back pack tents that you throw open. They are lighter and give you a bottom and a door that zips, would help keeping snakes and bugs out as well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nards444
    shelter halfs are not really that light to be honest. Your better off finding one of those pop up back pack tents that you throw open. They are lighter and give you a bottom and a door that zips, would help keeping snakes and bugs out as well.

I know they're heavy, but they were inexpensive. There are absolutely zero hiking/backpacking tents on the market for $30 delivered to my door, and like I said in my OP, components for a shelter half can also serve multiple purposes if need be.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a reason the Army doesn't use the shelter half anymore. Good luck with them.

I would go with a either light tent or just a rain fly. Light sleeping bags and a therma rest or a good piece of thinsulate to sleep on. If the weather is nice sleep under the stars.

I have never been on that trail but I looked at it on the web and it looks like its all down hill one way and up hill the other. There is water along the route and at the bottom so I would not be as concerned with water, 2-3qts would be fine especially in March when its not so hot.

It looks like there will be some fantastic scenery so a good camera would be on the top of my list too.
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    That's going to be a good hike. Last time my son and I did it was 20 years ago. Both of us were in good shape (so we thought) and were used to the altitude, but the climb out kicked our butts. Being August, the heat may have contributed. You shouldn't have that problem tho, but you'll find out how good your hoof gear is. Saw a lot of people with blister problems they got going down.
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you could get a Katadyne filter and cut way down on the water needed to carry.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hunter86004
    That's going to be a good hike. Last time my son and I did it was 20 years ago. Both of us were in good shape (so we thought) and were used to the altitude, but the climb out kicked our butts. Being August, the heat may have contributed. You shouldn't have that problem tho, but you'll find out how good your hoof gear is. Saw a lot of people with blister problems they got going down.

Good fitting, well broken-in boots, thick socks, and moleskin are a must for that type of walking. If you feel a hot-spot developing, stop, take your boots off, and put a piece of moleskin on the hot-spot right away. Hot spots turn into blisters.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Moleskin is a good idea. We actually saw people wearing loafers and carrying no water going down when we were headed out and that was late afternoon and about 2/3 of the way down. Always wondered how the rest of their day was. Bet they never did that again!
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Viktor
    quote:Originally posted by nards444

I know they're heavy, but they were inexpensive. There are absolutely zero hiking/backpacking tents on the market for $30 delivered to my door, and like I said in my OP, components for a shelter half can also serve multiple purposes if need be.

You also get what you pay for. I know theres budgets involved. Im sure as a 11 bang bang you have been under one of those. Might set it up in the yard and get your wife in there and see what she thinks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bright angel has water most of the way if the pipeline is not broken.

you can usually get by with a 2 if you are staying on that trail.

we ran out between Indian Gardens and Phantom Ranch our first trip ever, it was about 105 that day. it was only a mile or so without water but it seemed like way more.

one thing that will help you is going in and out on Bright Angel, going up the North Rim is quite a bit tougher as you end up 1,000 feet higher than the south rim.

you are going to miss what is in my humble opinion the best scenery of the canyon by not going out the north end.

the waterfalls in the north half are phenomenal.

but the north half is also way tougher, the last few miles is very very steep.

they have notices if the water line is not working, as long as it is working you can figure on only a few pounds of water per person.
  • Options
    scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To be quite candid...you'd better be more concerned with making the hike than with your gear at this point. It doesn't look like you've walked much further than from the sofa to the fridge since you got out of the Army.[;)] Hey...it happens to a lot of us.

I'd hate to see what an emergency helo evac would cost!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scrumpyjack
    To be quite candid...you'd better be more concerned with making the hike than with your gear at this point. It doesn't look like you've walked much further than from the sofa to the fridge since you got out of the Army.[;)] Hey...it happens to a lot of us.

I'd hate to see what an emergency helo evac would cost!

My physical fitness isn't very bad. I actually have quite a bit of cardiovascular endurance still. It took less than a month of regular exercise before my body remembered what it was capable of. I'm just trying to lose the weight. My goal is 190 by New Years. I was 183 when I got home from Iraq in 2010.