In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning Safes....

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
edited April 2007 in General Discussion
As you may recall I've been stashing some cash aside to buy a Kimber.

I've decided it would be in my best interest to buy a NICE safe first.

Having a nice safe wasn't really a necessity before as most of my guns are old, run of the mill, not worth that much variety. Lately I've been picking up items that are, while not as expensive as some of those I've seen here, are worth considerably more than those I started with.

I can get a pretty decent deal on Browning safes. My question to you...

Do you think one of their large Yukon Gold safes, bolted to the floor, will provide pretty adequate protection against theft. Or should I go with a midsize Copper or Sterling series safe?

The Yukon's don't have the high gloss paint or look as pretty, but storage capacity and weight is greatly increased. Both are pretty important. As it is, I could probably fill on of the midsized safes, so I need some higher capacity.
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Opinions?
  • Options
    p64makp64mak Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like mine so much I just bought another.

Which proves that you should always buy a big safe the first time...
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Have two - get electric lock. Can't be beat[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll be getting the Platinum or Gold sometime after my first couple gun purchases. I plan on getting the largest available. Our house was built in 1900 so I'm not sure how big a safe I can get in the door.

It's 47 Cubic Feet
    72"x40"x28" for the Platinum, 60x48x28 for the Gold
    90min @ 1400degree Omega rating
    2 1/2" of Fire Insulation
    1445lbs
    22 Bolts
    3/16" steel for the Platinum, 10ga for the Gold
    Patented Uniforce locking system
    Omnibarrier lock protection

The Gold says it'll hold 55 Long guns, 43 for the Platinum.

Is it true that if I store tax, mortgage, or other personal information in the safe, that I can deduct it from my taxes?
  • Options
    texaswildmantexaswildman Member Posts: 2,215 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love my Browning. The finish is nice enough to have displayed. The wife doesn't mind it. When i buy another it will be a Browning. Get a firesafe and get a big one - They are needy things that require constant stocking....
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    Is it true that if I store tax, mortgage, or other personal information in the safe, that I can deduct it from my taxes

To be deductable you have to have a business purpose. Like for example you store your business back up computer tapes off premises at home in your gun safe, thats makes the safe deductable.

To store personal papers is not a deductable event. Must be business related.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just put yur taxes in it, then its deductable
    I have a gold. tops!
  • Options
    drsckdrsck Member Posts: 992
    edited November -1
    Some of the nice ones have what is called an "anti-tamper" device. What that means is if someone "tampers" with it, bumps it too hard, tips it over, etc., the lock mechanism will not open, even with the correct combination. Sold a big, pretty new one to a fellow a few years ago who decided he didn't want to pay the delivery charge, so he showed up with a pickup truck, a trailer, his son and half the football team. Everything was going fine, until they decided to lay it down on the trailer to tow it home. Once they laid it down, it wouldn't open again until we called in a lock-smith. Best of luck -- Steve
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Called re-lockers.[8D]
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great for *...I mean, locking up your guns so they don't get played with by little people...