In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Zulu7 and the other military current and former

calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I am sure that you know that most of us on GB appreciate what you do. I hope that you feel it elsewhere as well. I think it's sad that some people only give recognition on Veteran's Day. I say give blacks November 11th and give the military and veterans a whole month!

Just wanted to let you know that we really do think about you guys and I personally try not to take my freedoms for granted. Stay safe. And to those that are no longer serving, glad you made it back and sorry for the losses that you probably felt while you were serving.

A Grateful American

Comments

• dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks i only served 10 years could not afford to stay in longer. The pay sucks. I liked the work though. David
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Cameron. Do you know why November 11 is Veterans Day ??

Doug
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dav1965
    Thanks i only served 10 years could not afford to stay in longer. The pay sucks. I liked the work though. David

That is 10 years longer than the vast majority of the population. Even if it wasn't during war times, it's still a task that is dangerous and necessary.
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. Every day is Veterans Day.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson

Doug

I don't. I just know that I missed getting my birthday off every year by 3 days.
  • dongilldongill Member Posts: 2,640
    edited November -1
    I greatly appreciate the service of all of the active military. I mourn the loss of any that die while serving. If there is a military funeral in my city, I always attend the funeral.
  • ATHOMSONATHOMSON Member Posts: 3,399 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:could not afford to stay in longer. The pay sucks.

+1
    edited November -1

Doug

So are you going to keep me in suspense?
    edited November -1
    Vets day is Nov 11 because it's the same day that WWI ended.

11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7

And they don't teach that in school....because???

They are too busy teaching "I had a dream"
  • ATHOMSONATHOMSON Member Posts: 3,399 ✭✭
    edited November -1

What was the weather like that day Doug?[;)][:D]

AT
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Thank you...and thank you to everyone who has served.
    edited November -1
    How about some sort of icon that they can add to their screenname (if they choose) to signify past or present service? Of course, I say that like it's easy, but I realize that it probably requires a lot of programming.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by callcameron
    How about some sort of icon that they can add to their screenname (if they choose) to signify past or present service? Of course, I say that like it's easy, but I realize that it probably requires a lot of programming.

It's not needed...and I doubt most of us would use it...although I only speak for myself. I could be wrong.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spme put it in their Profile. Some in their sig line, but some like me ture the Sig line off. Can't even see My own.

Only Spent 20 years and they had to send me home Kicking and screaming(Medical).
  • Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You, and everyone else, are Most Welcome.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tech141
    You, and everyone else, are Most Welcome.

The sad part is that you probably feel that way even to the ones that are NOT grateful. They just don't get it. They wouldn't stand a chance if they had to fight for their own freedom of speech (the same one that they use to bash the military.)
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Doug

Because 10 NOVEMBER was already taken!
    edited November -1
    Zulu, on the same topic, is there anything that you would love to get over there but can't? I would be happy to send a package with some stuff from the good old U S of A.
    edited November -1
    Zulu, on the same topic, is there anything that you would love to get over there but can't? I would be happy to send a package with some stuff from the good old U S of A.

[8D]That's a mighty nice offer...
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

[8D]That's a mighty nice offer...

My wife and I have been very blessed financially right now. Seems the opposite of most in this economy. I like to pass it on to those that deserve it.
    edited November -1

2 words:

VENISON JERKY
    edited November -1

2 words:

VENISON JERKY

Sorry, I haven't been on my first hunt yet. Although I might be doing some pig hunting really soon. Not sure how well pig sausage would ship though. Anything else?
    edited November -1
    You're a good guy, Cameron.

Here's for you, from www.military.com :

The History of Veterans Day

Did you know that most Americans confuse Veterans Day with
    Memorial Day? Both holidays celebrate our veterans' service, but with one significant difference. Learn the history of Veterans Day.
    What Do You Know About Veterans Day?

Veterans Day gives Americans the opportunity to celebrate the bravery and sacrifice of all U.S. veterans. However, most Americans confuse this holiday with Memorial Day, reports the Department of Veterans Affairs. What's more, some Americans don't know why we commemorate our Veterans on Nov.11. It's imperative that all Americans know the history of Veterans Day so that we can honor our former servicemembers properly.
    A Brief History of Veterans Day

Veterans Day, formerly known as Armistice Day, was originally set as a U.S. legal holiday to honor the end of World War I, which officially took place on November 11, 1918. In legislation that was passed in 1938, November 11 was "dedicated to the cause of world peace and to be hereafter celebrated and known as 'Armistice Day.'" As such, this new legal holiday honored World War I veterans.

In 1954, after having been through both World War II and the Korean War, the 83rd U.S. Congress -- at the urging of the veterans service organizations -- amended the Act of 1938 by striking out the word "Armistice" and inserting the word "Veterans." With the approval of this legislation on June 1, 1954, Nov. 11 became a day to honor American veterans of all wars.

In 1968, the Uniforms Holiday Bill ensured three-day weekends for federal employees by celebrating four national holidays on Mondays: Washington's Birthday, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, and Columbus Day. Under this bill, Veterans Day was moved to the last Monday of October. Many states did not agree with this decision and continued to celebrate the holiday on its original date. The first Veterans Day under the new law was observed with much confusion on Oct. 25, 1971.

Finally on September 20, 1975, President Gerald R. Ford signed a law which returned the annual observance of Veterans Day to its original date of Nov. 11, beginning in 1978. Since then, the Veterans Day holiday has been observed on Nov. 11.
    Celebrating the Veterans Day Holiday

If the Nov. 11 holiday falls on a non-workday ?_" Saturday or Sunday ?_" the holiday is observed by the federal government on Monday (if the holiday falls on Sunday) or Friday (if the holiday falls on Saturday). Federal government closings are established by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management ?_" a complete schedule can be found here. State and local government closings are determined locally, and non- government businesses can close or remain open as they see fit, regardless of federal, state or local government operation determinations.

United States Senate Resolution 143, which was passed on Aug. 4, 2001, designated the week of Nov.11 through Nov. 17, 2001, as "National Veterans Awareness Week." The resolution calls for educational efforts directed at elementary and secondary school students concerning the contributions and sacrifices of veterans.
    The difference between Veterans Day and Memorial Day

Memorial Day honors servicemembers who died in service to their country or as a result of injuries incurred during battle. Deceased veterans are also remembered on Veterans Day but the day is set aside to thank and honor living veterans who served honorably in the military - in wartime or peacetime.
    President Eisenhower?_Ts letter to Harvey V. Higley, Administrator of Veterans' Affairs, designating him Chairman, Veterans Day National Committee

The White House Office
    October 8, 1954

Dear Mr. Higley:

I have today signed a proclamation calling upon all of our citizens to observe Thursday, November 11, 1954 as Veterans Day. It is my earnest hope that all veterans, their organizations, and the entire citizenry will join hands to insure proper and widespread observance of this day. With the thought that it will be most helpful to coordinate the planning, I am suggesting the formation of a Veterans Day National Committee. In view of your great personal interest as well as your official responsibilities, I have designated you to serve as Chairman. You may include in the Committee membership such other persons as you desire to select and I am requesting the heads of all departments and agencies of the Executive branch to assist the Committee in its work in every way possible.

I have every confidence that our Nation will respond wholeheartedly in the appropriate observance of Veterans Day, 1954.

Sincerely,

DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER

There ya go.

Doug
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just wanted to add my thanks
  • Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
    edited November -1
    I take that day off every year and do nothing but relax and grill. People say I should work but they dont understand. it means more to me than christmas easter and new years.
  • Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by eboydell
    quote:I don't. I just know that I missed getting my birthday off every year by 3 days. Why are you upset about missing November 11th? You should be suicial about missing November 10th! The youth of this Country is going down the drain![V]

Why? because thats the day the Marine corp was founded in philly by samuel nicholas
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    callcameron...is that true that you aren`t taught anything about armastice day in school there??? if it is true it`s discusting!!! kids in grade 1 learn about it here!!
    edited November -1
    Dan - I've spoken with Cameron on the phone and he is a really good guy, trying to car for his family in the event of a disaster and also trying to learn about shooting, firearms and hunting at the same time.

He is very excited about his hobbies and a bright young Man of 29 (I think).

As far as American - or world - history being taught in our public school system - it isn't.

Lots of young folks think WWII was after Vietnam. The younger ones often asked me what king of fighting I did against the Koreans in France during the Vietnam war.

It is rally sad.

Thanks to the NEA.

Doug
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    [:(][V][V] well, thats just discusting doug!![V]

all those people died for nothing if their sacrifice isn`t remembered...at least once a year...armastice day is very big here...it always has been...this country had the biggest losses of all the british commonwealth countries in ww1 per capita...the worst deaths of any war,including ww2..it`s a shame it took the british staff officers so long to learn that flesh can`t stand up to cross fire from machine guns.[V]

i still remember ww1 vets..i remember growing up and listening to their stories of trench war..it`s a shame it never occured to me to record it all...it just seems that one day there were plenty of them left, and the next day they were all gone...my loss,i hope i don`t ever make the same mistake with the ww2 vets.
  • pipe7pipe7 Member Posts: 911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am sure that you know that most of us on GB appreciate what you do. I hope that you feel it elsewhere as well. I think it's sad that some people only give recognition on Veteran's Day. I say give blacks November 11th and give the military and veterans a whole month!

Just wanted to let you know that we really do think about you guys and I personally try not to take my freedoms for granted. Stay safe. And to those that are no longer serving, glad you made it back and sorry for the losses that you probably felt while you were serving.

A Grateful American

What????
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member Posts: 29,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cce1302

Doug

You're damned right it is! [^]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    quote:Originally posted by cce1302

Doug

You're damned right it is! [^]

This was in reference to Black History Month. I figured everybody would know what I was talking about.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dan kelly
    callcameron...is that true that you aren`t taught anything about armastice day in school there??? if it is true it`s discusting!!! kids in grade 1 learn about it here!!

I had never even heard of armastice day until this thread.

Zulu, there has to SOMETHING that you love to receive. (Sorry, I don't have any extra blondes or brunettes around either.)
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dan kelly

I had never even heard of armastice day until this thread.

Zulu, there has to SOMETHING that you love to receive. (Sorry, I don't have any extra blondes or brunettes around either.)

A new computer would be nice. Even have one picked out.