In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What changed?

JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in General Discussion
Yesterday I was rounding the George Bush Tollway @ 73.5 mph. I am in the left lane, cruise control is set, not a car in sight. A few minutes later, this car peaks up behind me, still quite a ways back. I can only see headlights. In a matter of a minute, or two this guy is on my tail. He is so close to me, all I can see is the top of his car.

I don't change anything, being as I was there first, I am going 3.5 over the speed limit and minding my own business. This guy just will not goo around. He is stuck to my bumper like a booger.

Am I doing something wrong here? I mean this guy was going fast enough to catch me coming form no where, does he not have enough speed to go ahead and pass me?

When I was young, and single, I would have locked my brakes. It is not out of ordinary for me to do this. I sent a camaro to the ditch doing doughnuts one time doing this very same thing.

This goes on for several miles so I decide at this point it's time to get the Glock out and have it ready. Another couple of miles same crap, and then finally the guy gives his pos car all it's got to pass me and gives me the finger on his way around.

WTH is wrong with people? This guy would have to sat in jail 2 days to get the fine reduced enough he could afford to pay it. Why is it these people with pure slime cars suddenly think they are king of the road and it is my job to get out of their way?

There was 2 more lanes and we were the only 2 cars for almost 8 miles. What gives? What has changed in this world to make people want to endanger others in such a manner?

I picked up one of those tailgate cams today and installed it. I will be ready next time. If I can record this behavior and take it to the police will that do anything about it?

Comments

• Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are not supposed to cruise in the left lane. It is NOT the fast lane. It is the passing lane. You're lucky he wasn't a cop. You could have got a ticket.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not here, only parts of the Interstates are passing only. Like I10, I20, I45, I35. Oddly enough I30 does not have left pass only. Anyways, here in Tx it's a limited area that is pass only.
  • Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    george bush tollway[?]no one around for 8 miles[:0] Didn't happen
    i have never seen the GB tollway empty for 8 miles[;)]
  • Options
    scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stay out of the left lane, granny.[;)]
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just lick the window when they go by and make sure I don't run into them when they over correct their pass.
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    Most places around the country seem to have adopted the left lane for faster traffic even if not a dedicated passing lane. Since it , in my experience, seems to be the habit of many motorists to travel between 5 and 10 mph over the posted speed limit that places you at the low end of the speed range. Why where you parked in the left lane if you planned on dwadling along at 3.5 mph over? Why would you persist in hogging the lane,in your words, for several miles? Since after the first 500 yards you probably figured out the guy wanted past you, why not slide over a lane or two yourself? What were you trying to prove?

When I drive I pay attention to my rear and if someone is approaching at a higher speed I slide out of the way so they don't have to adjust speed or redo their cruise.

Does anyone know of an area in the US where slower traffic is supposed to stay left?
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    People need to slow the hell down.

Many, many drivers look at the car ahead of them as an obstacle, no matter what speed it is. They drive like a bat out of hell to catch them, tail gate them and get past them. It is a psychological thing in their heads. No matter who is in front, they must get past them, no matter the speed.

From 35 years of on road observations and millions of miles driven I know this is true.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...You had a moron behind you, playing "neener neener", not rocket surgery, apparantly he had similar thoughts about the guy in front that wouldnt get out of his way.

I dont care if its a designated "passing lane" or not, if you grew up in Texas, driven here for any length of time, you know that the left lane IS the so called "fast/passing" lane, designated or not, move over, that, or your playing "neener neener" too.

...You could have just changed lanes if you had plenty of room, if no one was around as you say, pretty simple unless it was neener neener time. That way, you wouldnt have been all scared for your life and all with him having tailgated you & could have left your Glock holstered.

It doesnt matter if you are going the speed limit, they wanted to go faster & were in the correct lane to do so, doesn't excuse tailgating, but really easy to just get out of their way.

When I see some poor bastage in a POS car, I dont think "Shmuck! Driving a POS car" I always think "but for the grace of God there go I"...karma can be a big * if you're not careful...[;)]
  • Options
    KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what really annoys me are the * who will tailgate you when you are already passing a string of semi-trucks...
    what do the people who want to go in excess of 90 expect you to do? pull into the 2 car-length gap between 2 trucks (semis/18 wheelers, mind you, not pickups) for their personal convenience??? (note that where I encounter this behavior, the semis are already doing the limit of faster...so I am going faster yet)
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you were stuck in the LEFT lane and did not move over..I would have flipped you off too. You pass on the left, You were the one in the wrong lane
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You were in the wrong. You do not determine what speed everyone else should drive! Even if you were traveling 110MPH, and someone came up behind you that wanted to do 150MPH, you are obligated to move to the right lane and allow that person to pass. There is no reason to be crusing in the left lane anyway!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NOAH

get on around 4:45 am from I-30 to Firewheel [:D]

Texas does not recognize a fast lane, if I am doing 70, I am following the law. If I am the only one up there, I can choose my lane. If I happen to be booking @$$, I go around other, I don't expect them to get out of my way. Why can't they do the same?

And another thing, I will assume this is a Dallas thing as well, you can be doing 75, and someone will come from no where and pull right up beside you and ride on your bumper or right up next to you. Why the hell would you drive fast enough to catch someoone and then slow to drive next to them?

The only time I expect anything form another driver is the speed limit, as long as they are going the limit, I will do what I need to. But I can hardly tolerate some * who is 10 under joy riding .

CS that is the most ignorant thing I have read today....
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CS8161
    You were in the wrong. You do not determine what speed everyone else should drive! Even if you were traveling 110MPH, and someone came up behind you that wanted to do 150MPH, you are obligated to move to the right lane and allow that person to pass. There is no reason to be crusing in the left lane anyway!

YEP.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Texas does not recognize a fast lane, if I am doing 70, I am following the law. If I am the only one up there, I can choose my lane. If I happen to be booking @$$, I go around other, I don't expect them to get out of my way. Why can't they do the same?

And another thing, I will assume this is a Dallas thing as well, you can be doing 75, and someone will come from no where and pull right up beside you and ride on your bumper or right up next to you. Why the hell would you drive fast enough to catch someoone and then slow to drive next to them?

The only time I expect anything form another driver is the speed limit, as long as they are going the limit, I will do what I need to. But I can hardly tolerate some * who is 10 under joy riding .

I detest every driving situation you just cited & the dummies that drive like that, but I dont expect everyone to drive like I want them to, no future in it for me, Ive lot better things to do...and I left neener neener in my rear view mirror decades ago.

You did however remove any doubt I had of rather or not you were playing the neener neener thing, "hell I aint moving over for this jerk, I'm doing the speed limit! He's wrong & I'm right...neener neener...[:D]
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by COLT
    neener neener...[:D]

Are you trying to circumvent the auto sensor? Don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don
    quote:Are you trying to circumvent the auto sensor? Don

Nah, Nunn broke me from that with all his editing/deleting my posts when I did...[;)]
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don
    quote:Are you trying to circumvent the auto sensor? Don

Nah, Nunn broke me from that with all his editing/deleting my posts when I did...[;)]

Well then, neener, neener! Don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don
    quote:Well then, neener, neener! Don

Very good Donald...[:D]
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    quote:Originally posted by CS8161

YEP.

For certain. Left lane is for the fastest travelers, regardless of where the faster car came from or how quickly he caught-up ... no matter. Most folks realize about the only way that anyone can catch-up ... is to be traveling faster, and the slower movers are supposed to yield the lane. Anything else is near unbelievable ignorance or just doing the neener neener BS.
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT!!!

Jeez...these signs are posted all over Texas. ..
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it is dangerous for a car to pass on the right...

the right lane is clear. get there...

I would bet that it was a european

Besides it can result in a ticket to pass on the Right
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please dont say you almost got the &!@($(austrian poly) out...
    Use it if you have to.
    no brandishing.
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...You had a moron behind you, playing "neener neener", not rocket surgery, apparantly he had similar thoughts about the guy in front that wouldnt get out of his way.

I dont care if its a designated "passing lane" or not, if you grew up in Texas, driven here for any length of time, you know that the left lane IS the so called "fast/passing" lane, designated or not, move over, that, or your playing "neener neener" too.

...You could have just changed lanes if you had plenty of room, if no one was around as you say, pretty simple unless it was neener neener time. That way, you wouldnt have been all scared for your life and all with him having tailgated you & could have left your Glock holstered.

It doesnt matter if you are going the speed limit, they wanted to go faster & were in the correct lane to do so, doesn't excuse tailgating, but really easy to just get out of their way.

When I see some poor bastage in a POS car, I dont think "Shmuck! Driving a POS car" I always think "but for the grace of God there go I"...karma can be a big * if you're not careful...[;)]

+1

His own description of the event makes him sound like he's as bad as the guy he's complaining about. This notion that "I was here first and this piece of highway is mine." Both parties are participants in this lil road rage event. Situation was easily resolved if the slower vehicle moved to the right lane which is custom all over this Country. Or you can be the way you were, just don't complain about it. [:D]

Sounds to me that you made a decision that you were not going to move long before the car ever got to you. So you were already anticipating what ended up happening, and in fact sounds like you initiated it because you intentionally stayed in the fast lane when you could have moved over long before he ever go there.
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    after i left illinois to move to montana, my driving habits took some time to adjust. going from statewide 65 interstate speeds to 70local and 75 interstate i was amazed at all the friendly drivers here in montana. they honked and waved at me all the time. good friendly people here![8D]
  • Options
    SWAT 50SWAT 50 Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get out of the left lane .

I hope the family of 5 in the Camero are ok, .
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Slower traffic KEEP RIGHT

You are wrong and are a rude left lane bandit

CP
  • Options
    GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Michigan, most 2 lane freeways are drive in the right lane and pass in the left lane. Most 3 lane freeways are open season with trucks required to use the right lane (they have a lower speed limit) and faster traffic in the left 2 lanes, but common courtesy is left lane for the fastest traffic and move to the right if you see faster traffic approaching.

I think that both of you could have done something to diffuse the situation.

If I saw someone coming up on my rear end and the other 2 lanes were open, I would pull over a lane and let em by.

If I was coming up on a vehicle in the left lane (especially on a 3 lane highway), I would signal and go around them in the middle lane if they did not notice me or were stubborn and not wanting to move over.

When you have a couple of tons of metal going 60 or 70 miles per hour a couple of feet from your bumper, if something happens it's not going to do either of you any good.

"Why can't we all just get along?"
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT. To do otherwise makes one an impediment to traffic. Road rage is a situation that, usually, the object of is richly deserving since operating a vehicle on a public throughfare is one of the few instantences people can show off their incompetence to others.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Driving courtesy and sound decision-making seem to be fast disappearing.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anywhere I have ever driven in the United States has the "slower" traffic in the right lane.. If there was no one on the highway why were you not traveling in the right lane to begin with?
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JnRockwall
    quote:Originally posted by NOAH

get on around 4:45 am from I-30 to Firewheel [:D]

Texas does not recognize a fast lane, if I am doing 70, I am following the law. If I am the only one up there, I can choose my lane. If I happen to be booking @$$, I go around other, I don't expect them to get out of my way. Why can't they do the same?

CS that is the most ignorant thing I have read today....

I think that most people agree with me and are telling you that you are wrong...and I'm the ignorant one here?????[;)]
  • Options
    CDMeadCDMead Member Posts: 2,141 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only thing missing from this is a cell phone. In my experience if they are going the speed limit or slower in the left lane, they are on the cell phone.

Move over, gramps.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CDMead
    The only thing missing from this is a cell phone. In my experience if they are going the speed limit or slower in the left lane, they are on the cell phone.

Move over, gramps.
    I have been conducting an unofficial and on-going study for about 5 years.

Those who drive in the left lane at or near the posted limit and who won't move over, those who drive with their blinker on, those who seem oblivious while driving...the large majority of those who exhibit such driving behavior are seen to be DWSJ....Driving With Slack Jaw.

Yep, generally they have a blank look in their eyes and their mouth is hanging open.

Check it yourself. I am sure that it can be validated anywhere. For real.[:)]
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You were wrong admit it and move on and stay out of the left lane unless your passing.[V][xx(]
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Common courtesy, would be to move over to the right lane and let them pass.
  • Options
    cmancman Member Posts: 276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yep, drive right pass left
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,512 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JnRockwall
    Yesterday I was rounding the George Bush Tollway @ 73.5 mph. I am in the left lane, cruise control is set, not a car in sight. A few minutes later, this car peaks up behind me, still quite a ways back. I can only see headlights. In a matter of a minute, or two this guy is on my tail. He is so close to me, all I can see is the top of his car.

I don't change anything, being as I was there first, I am going 3.5 over the speed limit and minding my own business. This guy just will not goo around. He is stuck to my bumper like a booger.

Am I doing something wrong here? I mean this guy was going fast enough to catch me coming form no where, does he not have enough speed to go ahead and pass me?

When I was young, and single, I would have locked my brakes. It is not out of ordinary for me to do this. I sent a camaro to the ditch doing doughnuts one time doing this very same thing.

This goes on for several miles so I decide at this point it's time to get the Glock out and have it ready. Another couple of miles same crap, and then finally the guy gives his pos car all it's got to pass me and gives me the finger on his way around.

WTH is wrong with people? This guy would have to sat in jail 2 days to get the fine reduced enough he could afford to pay it. Why is it these people with pure slime cars suddenly think they are king of the road and it is my job to get out of their way?

There was 2 more lanes and we were the only 2 cars for almost 8 miles. What gives? What has changed in this world to make people want to endanger others in such a manner?

I picked up one of those tailgate cams today and installed it. I will be ready next time. If I can record this behavior and take it to the police will that do anything about it?

Of course you were doing something wrong. Whether it is posted or not, common practice and common courtesy puts slower traffic in the right lane and faster traffic in the left. You were slower.

A word of encouragement to you:

You do not become less of a man by being polite.

In fact, outgrowing the 'I was here first' mentality is a sign of maturity.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    glynglyn Member Posts: 5,949
    edited November -1
    Where I live it is the highay patrol and sheriffs dept who tail gate all the time.Even in the right hand lane.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry, but since you posted...

I agree that you were totally in the wrong. There is no need to be in the left lane when you're driving at the speed limit or nearly. ESPECIALLY if there is no one else on the road.

What you displayed was a childish "neener neener" behavior which speaks very poorly of you.

And your admission that you lock your brakes in response to tailgaters is even worse. You seem to have anger issues. Bragging that you did that to a Camaro is an admission of a criminal act. It's disgraceful, and I hope you didn't kill anyone.

I also agree that YOU are not the traffic police, and if someone wants to go faster than 3.5 mph over the limit, you should pull over and let them. The cops can catch them--it's not your job. You made a bad situation dangerous by your actions. This is not unlike the Zimmerman/Martin situation.

Your attitude of "I was there first" and "his POS car" shows you have very poor judgment and are making assumptions about other people. What if there was an emergency? He's in the fast lane for SOME reason (possibly a bad one, but it's not your call to make). Why won't you pull over? Because YOU think YOU are all that matters.

Taking pleasure in creating dangerous situations on the highway is disgraceful. The guy COULD have been some total a hole criminal--but that doesn't affect or excuse YOUR behavior. You should be ashamed.
  • Options
    PacManPacMan Member Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should be banned!!!!