.

Any big game hunter out there?

djh860djh860 Member Posts: 4,056
edited December 2011 in General Discussion
This gun might be for you. I love it I wish I could find a reason to buy it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=262462286

Comments

  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Just a bit too fancy for my taste,seems like a fair price though..
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Just a bit too fancy for my taste,seems like a fair price though..


    I wouldn't mind owning a pre 64 model 70 in 375 h+h, but I don't care for elaborate engraving.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member, Moderator Posts: 16,635 ******
    edited November -1
    I was at the NRA headquarters today for a meeting and got to spend some time in the museum. They had some of the most beautiful double rifles in 600 Nitro Express that I have ever seen. I'm going to have to go back just so I can finish the rest of the museum.
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 48,548 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the aftermarket engraving and carving is unfortunate on a pre-64. It is not the best I have seen, and in my view de-values the rifle. I am glad I have no reason to shoot .375 H&H again, I hate the recoil.
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The way the stock is dinged he must be like me. If you want to shoot the danged thing do It!
  • The artist formerly known as DanoThe artist formerly known as Dano Member Posts: 29,215
    edited November -1
  • JustCJustC Member, Moderator Posts: 16,036 ******
    edited November -1
    what * would carry a rifle like that, into dangerous game territory[?] Someone with more money than brains.[V] a rem700 or win70 in a safari caliber would be more than enough. Guns like that are for rich folk to bring out of the safe, and brag about. They are like paintings,....nice to look at and hold, but stupid to take out of the house.
  • swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    what * would carry a rifle like that, into dangerous game territory[?] Someone with more money than brains.[V] a rem700 or win70 in a safari caliber would be more than enough. Guns like that are for rich folk to bring out of the safe, and brag about. They are like paintings,....nice to look at and hold, but stupid to take out of the house.


    Please explain.
    It is a Win model 70 chambered in a safari caliber. I am afraid I don't understand what you are complaining of.
  • JustCJustC Member, Moderator Posts: 16,036 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by swearengine
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    what * would carry a rifle like that, into dangerous game territory[?] Someone with more money than brains.[V] a rem700 or win70 in a safari caliber would be more than enough. Guns like that are for rich folk to bring out of the safe, and brag about. They are like paintings,....nice to look at and hold, but stupid to take out of the house.


    Please explain.
    It is a Win model 70 chambered in a safari caliber. I am afraid I don't understand what you are complaining of.


    anyone who takes an engraved, high dolar rifle, into the field, is someone who who has too much money. Rifles like that, are to be admired, NOT to be taken into dangerous game country. If you want to take a highly engraved, and very valuable rifle on a safari, then by all means, do it. BUT, whan you scratch or dent a stock, on such a peice of work, you have greatly devalued it. If you want to hunt, buy a hunting rifle, If you want to have something to admire, then it needs to stay at home. No way in this world would I take a rifle of that level, into the field. But then again, I have to work for my money.
  • swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When that rifle was made it was a hunting rifle with very few other choices and was then as now, way less expensive than a quality double rifle.

    A nice Dakota in a safari caliber is much more expensive than this Win. is worth. But then so is a Krieghoff and Blaser and countless other firearms.

    If it becomes dinged, scratched or otherwise damaged and devalued, it makes all remaining rifles in that chambering much more valuable but the present owner will be able to point to the dings and remember the fantastic hunt he used it on. And memories make everything worthwhile.

    That rifle is a tool that Win. produced a great number of. I have used all of my pre-64 Win. model 70's to hunt with and I too, have to work for my money.
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't the rifle nor the money. If I did, I'd do with it as I would. It'd be no one else's business if I did.

    Years ago I met a hunter in Alaska, with a rifle this one reminds me of. I inquired of the rifle and taking it "into the field" or hunting with it rough like that.

    He told me that you built rifles for many folks, and he engraved and carved rifles and shotguns for others.

    Said that he did what he did to his own firearms because he liked the craftsmanship and the artistry ... BUT he did not do that as an expensive easel or canvas ... rather to personalize the piece and have it in hand using it and remembering the times and vice versa.

    What he said then made sense then ... and even more so now.

    He was an interesting gentleman that stated when he was unable to go out, he'd be pulling out memories of the places and the hunts that he'd taken that rifle.

    Made sense then and makes even more sense now!
  • we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A perfect example of how to ruin a nice pre-64 [xx(]
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Just a bit too fancy for my taste,seems like a fair price though..


    I wouldn't mind owning a pre 64 model 70 in 375 h+h, but I don't care for elaborate engraving.


    I was interested in a 1948 Pre 64 .375 H&H at Cabelas that they were asking $1500 for. It had been refinished and looked like a near new rifle. Called the guy last Saturday after thinking about it and he said that some guy in NV was interested in it and it was going to be shipped to their store in Reno if the deal went through. If it does not then he would call me back.

    Check Cabelas Gun Library for item #1960606 to see the one I was looking at.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 36,481 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I normally don't care for engraved rifles that much but I like that one
  • djh860djh860 Member Posts: 4,056
    edited November -1
    I'd restock it if I had the $$$
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    I was at the NRA headquarters today for a meeting and got to spend some time in the museum. They had some of the most beautiful double rifles in 600 Nitro Express that I have ever seen. I'm going to have to go back just so I can finish the rest of the museum.

    Like these[:D]
    bece.jpg

    188b.jpg

    a837.jpg

    It was a pretty cool museum.
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    lets also keep in mind that when that rifle was made, it was a just a model 70.

    sure, it was still a nice rifle, but pre 64 winchesters only developed their special brand of cachet after 64.

    i dont put a model 70 on the same level as a blaser or other real high dollar guns, so the argument that this gun is too pretty to carry afield doesnt hold much water with me.

    i personally just dont dig on that much engraving. i also have no need for a safari caliber. when im richer than hell and need to reach far afield to find stuff i want to buy, i'll probably own many safari rifles just for grins. until then, i dont hunt and 375 wouldnt be much fun at the range.
  • roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 9,394 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OMG bolt action po#n.

    oh an its just a model 70...
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,806
    edited November -1
    I usually just borrow a rifle from the lodge once I get there. I am the Elephant.
Sign In or Register to comment.