In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I don't get it - some folks just can't ...........

rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
edited July 2014 in General Discussion
take yes for an answer.

this happened during the panic buy.

I called a local gunstore and got the manager on the line.
I asked him if they had any AK mags. he says no and doesn'know
when they'll get any. he tells me I'm the umpteenth person to
ask that.

The next day I go down there with 20 NEW AK mags and talk to the
guy and tell him I'll give him the mags to put on the shelf
for whatever he wants to sell them for as long as I get $20.
I told him that $30 for them right now is a fair price.
NO COST to him unless he sells them.

He says that he's skepticle (synthetic 40 round mags)and I tell him that IF
anyone brings one back give them a full refund with receipt and give em 90 days on that refund. I told him I'd deliver and if he wanted to yank them for any reason (no sales, too many returned, whatever),
just call me and I'd come get them. no hard feelings.

I sell a lot here and if I was offered a deal like that, no overhead, hand delivered, great warranty, make 33% profit on no outta pocket.......

I just don't get it - what am I missing?

did it sound too good to be true, thus apprehension? can't figure where the "catch" is. On a handshake, I leave you with the product and you haven't given me a dime. how can I screw you on that?

Comments

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How well do you know the guy?

Selling stolen merchandise is a big deal, and he has no way of knowing one way or the other. If that was crossing his mind, he is taking a big risk for a couple of hundred dollars.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He probably has a bunch in the backroom he is saving to really stick it to someone down the road when the panic sets in like 22 ammo.

EvilDr235
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

Selling stolen merchandise is a big deal, and he has no way of knowing one way or the other. If that was crossing his mind, he is taking a big risk for a couple of hundred dollars.

20 magazines with no serial #'s?, c'on man you are reaching.

anyway, I showed him on GunBroker where I was selling them for the same price ($30 with bids & sales)
  • Options
    cmancman Member Posts: 276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    honestly its not hard to understand at all - if you came into my retail store with a box of stuff you wanted me to put on my shelves and sell for you i'd say no. especially if i'm making less than $10 per sale on 20 pcs.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would imagine a retailer would want to know the source of their products, and not want to risk selling junk. Even if they give a refund that customer may be lost for the future for the hassle of having to come back to return the defective item. They also may just feel comfortable working with certain distributors and don't want to go outside their comfort zone.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Taking in demand consignments is a retailers dream, no overhead, no risk, just profit.
    He's just stupid.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    least you are honest cman - 30% ain't enough with no outta pocket expenses. so what is your usual markup on things purchased up front other than guns?

I run into people all time that have to double their money or they won't touch it. I try to double up here on gb but if it doesn't sell w/in a few months or so I will start dropping my prices.

now the guy making $10 per mag was going to make more per mag than me. I had about $13 in each mag.

maybe I set my sights too low but if I make 30-50% on everything I resell I'm a happy camper. hell, sometimes breaking even is a blessing.

anybody else want to give your profit % for resale?

what say ye, GOUGERS?[}:)][:D]

still not a really GOOD arguement to me IF you really did have customers asking for a product. if you weren't blowing smoke I would think anybody would take the 20 mags, sell them to those customers and put 200 in their pocket.?

a few years back I took some 30 round AK mags to a pawn shop "just to see" and he offered me $3 per when he had the same thing for $30.(mine were nicer looking too) if you GOTTA get 10 times your money you are a pecker.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    I would imagine a retailer would want to know the source of their products, and not want to risk selling junk. Even if they give a refund that customer may be lost for the future for the hassle of having to come back to return the defective item. They also may just feel comfortable working with certain distributors and don't want to go outside their comfort zone.

mag manufacturor was imprinted on it. "having" to go back to the gunstore? how painful. most of us would love the excuse, lol.

"honey I gotta go to the gunshop to return/exchange something" is one of my favorite white lies.[:D]

and I don't know about where you live but most of the smaller stores
    around here have an all sales final policy. or exchange only with receipt.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rambo rebel
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

20 magazines with no serial #'s?, c'on man you are reaching.

anyway, I showed him on GunBroker where I was selling them for the same price ($30 with bids & sales)

If someone I didn't know came into my shop with a generic product and made me the same offer, I would turn it down.

Sure there is no direct traceability, but the trivial amount of money is not worth the headache or the potential problems.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1
    since $200 is trivial, how about sending that to me - email me for the address.[:p]
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would jump on that offer!
    I have a few items in my shop that friends brought in to sell that I wont charge them a penny