In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Neighbors/Rabbits

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I have a whole bunch of really good neighbors. The best ones are Ronnie and Renee. Really good, decent folks. This morning 8:30 I come home from physical therapy, Renee's car is parked in my driveway. She teaches school and is known as the lady who takes care of injured/orphan animals. One of the other teacher's had brought a baby wild bunny to her. 3 to 6 days old? Can I help? Out to my rabbitry we go. Sure enough, I find a doe with the right age litter, slip the wild bunny into the nest box. All the time thinking, if this wild bunny has got some kind of disease or whatever, it will take me 3 to 6 monthes to get it all cleared up. I recently bought some extreamly good, expensive, new breed to me breeding stock. I am endangering some extreme quality breeding/show stock in 3 breeds, over a baby wild bunny. Why? Stupidity comes to mind, but the reality is, Renee is such a good person, what was I to do? Tell I wouldn't help her? Sometimes being a nice/Christian person has its drawbacks. I should add that at 10:30PM, wild bunny was still alive. I ain't got the sense God gave a goose.

Comments

• machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    No, but you got the humanity He respects.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dreher
    I have a whole bunch of really good neighbors. The best ones are Ronnie and Renee. Really good, decent folks. This morning 8:30 I come home from physical therapy, Renee's car is parked in my driveway. She teaches school and is known as the lady who takes care of injured/orphan animals. One of the other teacher's had brought a baby wild bunny to her. 3 to 6 days old? Can I help? Out to my rabbitry we go. Sure enough, I find a doe with the right age litter, slip the wild bunny into the nest box. All the time thinking, if this wild bunny has got some kind of disease or whatever, it will take me 3 to 6 monthes to get it all cleared up. I recently bought some extreamly good, expensive, new breed to me breeding stock. I am endangering some extreme quality breeding/show stock in 3 breeds, over a baby wild bunny. Why? Stupidity comes to mind, but the reality is, Renee is such a good person, what was I to do? Tell I wouldn't help her? Sometimes being a nice/Christian person has its drawbacks. I should add that at 10:30PM, wild bunny was still alive. I ain't got the sense God gave a goose.

I bet there may be another reason....She looks good in a low cut dress maybe? I'm just saying.
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    She ain't bad, but my wife (Far better looking, as in screaming hot) was there, we want out to the rabbitry togeather. No problem. I have been around plenty of women that cheating on them just seems reasonable. ie: my first wife. Julia, ain't no way. Would never do anything to hurt her.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dreher
    She ain't bad, but my wife (Far better looking, as in screaming hot) was there, we want out to the rabbitry togeather. No problem. I have been around plenty of women that cheating on them just seems reasonable. ie: my first wife. Julia, ain't no way. Would never do anything to hurt her.

I'm just saying that a man will often do things they normally would not when beguiled by the charms of a good looking woman.

If that statement were not true, the insides of our homes would just all be painted grey...not "Lilac" or "Orange Peel".
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Just think how TASTY that cottontail is gonna be by about December.. MMMmmmm!![:p][:p]
    On that note:\; Do you ever raise any for food? I have heard that the "French Lopp" is a GREAT eating rabbit. Any truth to that?
    edited November -1
    I raise Dutch, Mini-Rex and Hollands. I have 1 Florida White. Except for the Florida White, no meat breeds, alto, any breed I can think of can be eatten.
    edited November -1
    The New Zealand is the breed most commonaly used for meat.
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dreher,
    I used to raise Dutch rabbits also. Great breed, showed them quite a few times. I won Best Opposite Sex once, against about 50 other Dutch at one of the smaller shows. That was the best I did showing them. Sold everything off when I went into the Air Force.

The baby rabbit SHOULD be ok, if it lived a few hours. My Grandpa did the same thing, but he had some New Zealand Whites he stuck it in with. The baby was fairly tame, but he ended up butchering it along with the others. No pets at his house! [:D]

Merc
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lived in Lancaster Calif as a Kid. Knew a guy who raised Jackrabbits. To this day Do not know why that breed.

Well some neighbor kid desided to let them go(Not me). He was kind of old and requested I help catch them so I did.

Did you know that if you grab a Jackrabbit like a normal rabbit they can still get you with them extra long legs. You have to get behind the head and the hind legs at the same time.

Almost needed a transfusion lost so much blood.[:o)]
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have lot's of wild rabbits in the hood. They use to raise in my backyard until the HOA made me mow it... I actually like having them around.

No sense in killing something for no reason.
  • SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by machine gun moran
    No, but you got the humanity He respects.

Yup. Being the bunny is so young, I would think that the milk from Momma and all the antibodies it has, there is a 98% chance he has no disease.
    Kinda like my hounds. Some folks are quick to worm and vaccinate, but it is useless because the Momma's milk cancels all that out. We don't worm or vaccinate till just before they come off Momma's teat.

You a good man.[8D]