In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Becoming a Part of this Community?

Bo0mBo0mBo0mBo0m Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited June 2008 in General Discussion
Hey,

I figured I'd ask you guys how to "get the ball rolling" in all aspects of this community.

Sorry if this is posted somewhere or if this is the wrong place to ask and all that, it just seems that this forum is reliable and won't shun me for asking (others have)...

What do i need to do in order to get myself a rifle, maintain/take care of it, what courses should i be taking and what precautions/important facts/etc do i need to know to get started?

ive been trying to look things up for a week or so and i keep getting vague results

I want to know how to "get started" and involved in this community.

Thanks for your help,

Bo0m

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    HELLO MY SUGGESTIONS .#1 go to your local gunshop not big box store and see if there are any GUN CLUBS in your area if so go visit them and apply for membership . Check with your states GAME commission and see if they offer a HUNTER safety course even if you never plan to hunt. IF you want to have and use guns safety is first and remember you will need a place to shoot.Many states have public land and gun clubs most time have ranges to shoot at. visit every Match you can go to and see what kind of shooting interest you Check out NRA and SASS to find place and time for matches. Good luck visit this site often.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I'll do that all in the morning.

any other suggestions?
  • Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    my one suggestion is... if you have never fired a rifle or handgun before, start small. a .22 lr is all you need. there, you can learn sight picture, breathing, trigger control, and most of all safe gun practices. just my 2 cents. and welcome aboard.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ive fired on occasion, not too much though...i know the basics on what to do on the range and all that jazz as well.

i just dont know where to start - i kinda want to get my hands on a mauser as my first rifle though, i plan on majoring in history and im fascinated by the second world war and have always wanted one :) - but maybe a .22 would be a better start...I have no idea

do i need a license to have a rifle? or to go on a range?
  • Options
    linthicumlinthicum Member Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want a Mauser, first do your home work on them. You do not want to get ripped off.
    Do you need a license? I do not know your state or local laws but in most you do not. Check with your local Gun Shop.
    May I suggest taking a firearm safety course. Where I live, we have a state run Hunting/Firearm Safety Course that cost $3. I took the course my first time in 1978 and have taken is five times since. The last time was with my son when he turned ten in 06. Now you only need to take it once but a refresher never hurts.
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bo0mBo0m
    im fascinated by the second world war
    Then you also need a M1 Garand to go along with your mauser-a good choice as well. May I also suggest a service grade from the CMP. You can attach a stick note to your order saying that you would like a WWII reciever and most likely you will get it. Be sure to read their ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS which are easy to meet. Welcome to the club!
    http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Safety''''''safety..... be aware at all times! Practice it until it becomes habit...good luck..nambu
  • Options
    elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum. Some good advice here can be found here...most of the time...

If you are willing to learn, are safe, and not an * then I bet you will find a competent mentor once you visit a local shop, take a basic class, and visit a range a few times. One of the most important responsibilities we have is to teach others to responsibly enjoy our 2nd amendment rights. I bet you will find an old codger who will take you under his wing.

Good luck. Good shooting...and keep asking quesitons.
  • Options
    kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
    edited November -1
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Welcome, and remember, as long as you agree with me we'll get along fine!
  • Options
    kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
    edited November -1
    I figured I'd ask you guys how to "get the ball rolling" in all aspects of this community.
    Post ALMOST naked pictures, you will become a pillar of the "community"

Sorry if this is posted somewhere or if this is the wrong place to ask and all that, it just seems that this forum is reliable and won't shun me for asking (others have)...
    We will get with SP on this it may need to be moved to politics.

What do i need to do in order to get myself a rifle, maintain/take care of it, what courses should i be taking and what precautions/important facts/etc do i need to know to get started?
    You will need money that will help you obtain your rifle, you will need basic motor skills and you must be cognitive to clean and maintain your rifle.

ive been trying to look things up for a week or so and i keep getting vague results
    Well that sucks, try to use google.com what are you trying to look up? What EXACTLY do you want to know?

I want to know how to "get started" and involved in this community.
    refer to rolling "the" ball
    Thanks for your help,

Bo0m

notta problem, you really need to be more specific do you want to hunt grizzly bears, squirrels, self defense?

I would suggest a BB gun as your first rifle and that is no sheet I have a couple of real boomsticks but I really enjoy shooting my cheap'ol powerline 901. A BB gun will help build accuracy, attitude, and hopefully aptitude as guns are not a toy. I have ricocheted a couple of BB's off of a few things and it will remind you guns are not a toy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by flyingtorpedo
    Then you also need a M1 Garand to go along with your mauser-a good choice as well. May I also suggest a service grade from the CMP. You can attach a stick note to your order saying that you would like a WWII reciever and most likely you will get it. Be sure to read their ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS which are easy to meet. Welcome to the club!

yeah, i plan on getting all that fun stuff

an 03, nagant, m1 carbine/garand, gwehr, etc - just need to get started :)

now - this is REALLY nooby, but i kinda kno wat a reciever is, but why would i just ask for a WWII reciever insteada the whole rifle? (dont fooey on me too much for that one :) )
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First off.. Welcome to the forum.

Second thing that needs to be addressed is your age.

Are you of a legal age to where you can legally purchase a gun in your area?

If so. Sign up and take a Safety Hunters Course through the DNR first. That will get you a neat little card and most places will even give you a neat patch from the state in which you live. It will teach you the basics of safe gun handling before you head off to a local gun range to start a beginners class on how to properly shoot and maintain a firearm.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    lmao plumber...

ill get rite on those almost-nudes

i had a bunch of airsoft guns and such back in the day...ricochets aren't much of a good time

well i just want to go to ranges and such - maybe self defense but i really don't have much to defend as of now and getting a handgun isn't gonna happen for a long time

and yeah, I'm of age - i just feel like im coming off as childish at the moment because i dont know much about this whole thing...

im gonna start looking around tomorrow and see what i can get myself into.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by flyingtorpedo

yeah, i plan on getting all that fun stuff

an 03, nagant, m1 carbine/garand, gwehr, etc - just need to get started :)

now - this is REALLY nooby, but i kinda kno wat a reciever is, but why would i just ask for a WWII reciever insteada the whole rifle? (dont fooey on me too much for that one :) )

It's the vernacular. Gun talk. When you get a Gov't surplus rifle, you can request a SerNo that falls into the WWII range..instead of one made after WWII. Garand SerNo's can be traced to the year and month it was manufactured. It grips your imagination as to just what beachhead the rifle may have assaulted. Can't do that with a gun that has a 1955 receiver, for instance. Best, Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    alrighty..

ive also never heard of this Harrington & Richardson M1 compared to a Springfield Arms M1...

any difference?
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    neh. get a .22. easier to get lots of beginning practice in, especially practicing being safe with your gun, because ammo is cheap. plus, if you make a mistake it might not be quite as bad as nailing something with a full power rifle cartridge.