In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Armys handgun fails

JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2018 in General Discussion
Sig who beat out Glock, has failed.

Comments

• Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ouch and I thought Glock went to court trying to stop this screw up
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sig is being sued by the NJ State Police for their failures with the 229 and 229 legion.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any actual info or a report?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow. That's ironic. Isn't NJ one of the states that requires that all new pistols pass a "drop test"?

I'm guessing that SIG won't charge the US military extra when they add the "enhancement" to the pistols they have already sold them.

Neal
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This was one link on the NJSP suit. New Jersey troopers switch to Glocks when sig failed testing after contracts...

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2017/05/nj_state_police_sue_manufacturer_over_jammed_guns.html
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    Wow. That's ironic. Isn't NJ one of the states that requires that all new pistols pass a "drop test"?

I'm guessing that SIG won't charge the US military extra when they add the "enhancement" to the pistols they have already sold them.

Neal

NJSP didn't buy 320s, they bought 229s, then when those had FTF issues Sig sent them 229 legions, their top of the line and those has FTF problems. Ultimately NJSP went to Glocks.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lets buy american made ...i wonder if they don't keep changing standards so the senators buddy gets the money
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    lets buy american made ...i wonder if they don't keep changing standards so the senators buddy gets the money

Do you really have to wonder?[;)]
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ....I thought Sig was such a top notch pistol?...Why not an HK?
  • Options
    DirtyDawgDirtyDawg Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JimmyJack

Sig did NOT beat Glock. The bafoons at the Army didn't complete their testing, and instead pushed forward and selected Sig. Yet another government failure.

Taxpayers lose again. And soldiers die. But, heck, Sunday is the Super Bowl!! And the military will be in attendance with a fly over and politicians will sleep well that night after a performance at Colosseum.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,067 ******
    edited November -1
    [V][V][:(][:(],,dammit
  • Options
    auctionplugauctionplug Member Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always thought SIG was one of the best.
  • Options
    Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Funny,

My Sig 229 Legion hasn't had ONE hiccup in over 700 rds.

Waiting until I have 1500 rds through it before it replaces my S&W M&P 9C as my EDC.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The losers are still making noise. Sorry, not enough lemons and cheese to help them cope. The SIG won: End of story.

Some of you are old enough to remember the intense criticism Berretta received after it beat out all competition: Jams, frames crack, not made in USA, can fire when dropped, etc.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ha! That?s my brother in this pic! - We?ll I guess I?m wrong my brother said that guys missing a tab that he would have...
    http://www.businessinsider.com/the-armys-new-handgun-already-has-some-serious-problems-2018-1
    iW54uQcl.jpg
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    FWIW In my experience plastic guns seem to be more prone to limp wrist jams. Probably part of the problem. Another is the &@_&$ springs and short lips in the magazines. In some there is so much tension it only takes a slight gorward movement of the cartridge to pop it loose or out of position.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Warbirds
    Ha! That?s my brother in this pic!
    http://www.businessinsider.com/the-armys-new-handgun-already-has-some-serious-problems-2018-1
    iW54uQcl.jpg

Can you ask him for a review? I always like to hear things direct from the Soldier. Their opinion carries more weight than a talking head.
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The army chose the Sig over the Glock because of the price. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySw8JBMUfMU
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DirtyDawg

Sig did NOT beat Glock. The bafoons at the Army didn't complete their testing, and instead pushed forward and selected Sig. Yet another government failure.

Taxpayers lose again. And soldiers die. But, heck, Sunday is the Super Bowl!! And the military will be in attendance with a fly over and politicians will sleep well that night after a performance at Colosseum.

Did you bother to read the General Accountability Office decision of the Glock protest? Evidently not. I did out of curiosity since I am a retired Contracting Officer of the Army Contracting Command - Warren where the Request for Proposals was issued, proposals evaluated and the contract was awarded to Sig. Testing was done elsewhere and the results submitted to the Source Selection Team. The GAO sided with the Source Selection Authority (not a politician) that Sig had a slight technical advantage over Glock. Thus they were essentially almost equal but there was nothing in Glock's proposal or the evaluation that justified paying 37% more ($102M) to award the contract to Glock.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I read they failed that was enough for me! I know they beat out Glock for the contract, because that is what we wound up with. You can play with words any way you want to, but thats the bottom line.
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by victorj19
    quote:Originally posted by DirtyDawg

Did you bother to read the General Accountability Office decision of the Glock protest? Evidently not. I did out of curiosity since I am a retired Contracting Officer of the Army Contracting Command - Warren where the Request for Proposals was issued, proposals evaluated and the contract was awarded to Sig. Testing was done elsewhere and the results submitted to the Source Selection Team. The GAO sided with the Source Selection Authority (not a politician) that Sig had a slight technical advantage over Glock. Thus they were essentially almost equal but there was nothing in Glock's proposal or the evaluation that justified paying 37% more ($102M) to award the contract to Glock.

Was the drop test really only landing directly on bore on landing perfectly flat on side? Seems a rather odd way to do things.
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley at the Eisenhower Luncheon during the annual Association of the US Army conference at Walter E. Washington Convention Center in Washington, D.C., on Tuesday, October 13, 2015.

"We're not figuring out the next lunar landing. This is a pistol. Two years to test? At $17 million? You give me $17 million on a credit card, and I'll call Cabela's tonight, and I'll outfit every soldier, sailor, airman and Marine with a pistol for $17 million. And I'll get a discount on a bulk buy."

pretty sure he was talking about buying Glocks. [;)]