In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shaving ... What kind of razor do you use?

kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
edited August 2014 in General Discussion
For the last few years I've been using the Mach3 ... It does a decent job, but over the last 8 months I've been fighting a tumor in my colon and subsequent issues, anyway I just started back to work full time, so I have to shave every day again.

I've never been a fan of shaving and while I've been off I've been experimenting with different razors ... I've tried several multi-blades; the Fusion, the Hydro, the Quattro and a couple others ...

I've tried 2 different electric razors, neither was cheap (I won't say how much but both over $100) both gave me ingrown hairs in the first week and not particularly satisfied with the closeness or the skin irritation, however they are ok for a quick touch up ...

My most recent trial, is the single blade safety razor ... What got my interest was Rick Harrison (of Pawn Stars) hawking one on TV, I didn't get one of his, but last week I went to Mall of America with my wife and the first thing I see is a little store called "The Art of Shaving" and I end up buying a nice faux onyx handled safety razor, soap brush with a chrome stand & teak soap dish and some German made stainless steel platinum coated blades.

So with this, shaving has become more of a production with experimentation ... I'm getting better making the soap/lather, I'm not yet comfortable with the short handle ... You have to hold the razor at the correct angle or you just scrape off soap ... anyway, the evaluation is continuing.

So how do you shave?
If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.

Comments

• Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    A sharp one[:D]
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mach 3 was a hell of a razor. I would often get 2 or 3 months out of a blade, shaving 6 times a week. I'm now going back and forth between Pro-Glide and Shick's new vibrating job. Shick is nice, but it won't get right under my nose like the Pro-Glide will. Then again, Shick doesn't cut up my neck.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mall of America is about 5 miles from my house...as far as shaving goes...for me it is Bic disposables...12 razors for 3 bucks. Maybe I should check that store out[:D]
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tried a few different ones never like the electric razors . have not used a single blade razor for 40 years , like you still searcing for one I like

crocodiledundeeknife.jpg

g_12203.jpg
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Schick Xtreme3. Sam's Club had them in 24 packs and when I saw they were MADE IN USA, I bought several. Work fine for me, each one lasts me a couple weeks at least.
  • Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Venus Lady's razors. Smoother, sharper, and lasts longer than any of the others out there by far. You'll never go back to anything else! [:D]
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I've used a Gillette Fusion for 3 or 4 years now, it does a pretty good job.
    Best shave I ever had was with a straight razor in a barber shop in Miles City. A dollar a shave, I always stopped and got a shave when I was in town. Found out who's cows had the best gain, who was winning at the big poker game and which sporting house had new girls.
    W.D.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    Mall of America is about 5 miles from my house...as far as shaving goes...for me it is Bic disposables...12 razors for 3 bucks. Maybe I should check that store out[:D]

Yep I use the cheap ones as well for the price of some of these new ones on the market you could buy yourself a good electric one.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MACH 3 buttttt the prices for the blades are atrocious..
  • Options
    john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dollar General's three blade. Come three in a package for three something. Get about seven or eight shaves per razor.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought the micro touch shaver that Rick Harrison has been hawking. Works great. Best shave I have had in a long time. I hate the disposable razor's. They all suck. I have a really thick * hair.
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Currently doing mail order from dollar shave club.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dollar Tree has some for a 5 pack ,one dollar, kick the stubble out by hiting inside the sink and they are some of the best shaving I have had,,the others are vastly overrated and cut up my face,
    And they are Made In The USA-[:I]
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Currently using a pack of Schick 3-blade disposables. Almost any razor works fine for me. I shave roughly three times a week, being retired. A four-pack of razors will last me a year.

I also have tried electrics, both the three circular blade type as well as the rectangular screen type. Neither was as comfortable, effective, or quick as a blade and lather.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    I use my dads old Schick razor from the 1940's. It's a single blade injector razor . I don't like multiple blade contraptions. I have to buy my blades off of Ebay because stores don't stock them around here anymore.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bic razors, single blade use them for maybe a week and throw them away. I hate shaving but I don't like having a beard.
    RLTW

• Options
    kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    Mach 3. I have yet to find a better razor.
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Grasshopper
    Dollar Tree has some for a 5 pack ,one dollar, kick the stubble out by hiting inside the sink and they are some of the best shaving I have had,,the others are vastly overrated and cut up my face,
    And they are Made In The USA-[:I]

Yep!
    Persona > Every bit as good as Good News!

[^]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Still use the old TracII blades with a heavy brass handle.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [img][/img]SSPX0005_zps11d0bb3b.jpg
    [img][/img]SSPX0004_zpsf577fb62.jpg

Grand Pa's tools > both over 100 years old.

They still work !!!

[^][:D][8D]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dollar Shave Club
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag

Yep I use the cheap ones as well for the price of some of these new ones on the market you could buy yourself a good electric one.

Same here. I shave twice/week on average. I tried the fancy 3 and 4 blade razors and even a nice Norelco electric razor that I received as a Christmas present......I still have better longevity with just as good results with the BIC disposables. I can use one razor for a couple months.

Jon
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pitched my multiple blade razor as the price of blades is very high. Went to the Wilkenson Sword twin blade disposable from W-Mart that run about $2 for a package of 12. And the blades are made in the US. Took the money I saved from the over priced multiple blade have you by the jewels razor companies and bought a new Sig 9mm............
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gillette Sensor since 1991 when my Dad passed away. Mom gave it to me because I bought it for Dad several years earlier. I like the shave I get. I buy the blades online, because even at Wallyworld they are pretty expensive, and the wife uses the ladies version.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    I use the cheapest littlest Schick razors sold. Those things just glide right into the groves and you don't lose your shorts switching razors every two days.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    I use the Mach 3 and blades are expensive, and my face is worth it. I found that Edge shaving jell is the best for my face and allows the blades to last a good long time.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too vote for the Wilkinson Sword best "cheap " razor on the market
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mach III and Barbasol.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Real men use a straight razor. [:D]
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gillette Trac 11 ....With a Badger Brush and cup soap....The secrete is keeping it clean,wash your razor and blade..
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    I stopped shaving.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    I use the old 'screw bottom' type razor, whereby the top opens like bomb-bay doors...and stainless Feather brand razor blades. I grew up with that scenario, using Gillette Blue-Blades.

....and I scrub my face with Williams' bar shaving soap. I don't use a brush. Put the soap-cake directly to my face, and 'work the lather in'.

For what it's worth. Best.
  • Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55

No, real men don't shave at all. [;)]
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    You 'fellers' are way too modern for this ol' cowboy.

Been using a 1942 Rolls Razor from England for a long time.

Has the sharpening stone and strop on either side of the lid with a track mechanism to 'flip/flop' the blade back and forth for sharpening. Take the sharpened blade out and 'fix' it to the handle and yer good to go.[;)]

IMG_1559.jpg

That's class , I stil have some in my barbers shop collection, dan lethal ! [:D]