In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Day at the range

iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in General Discussion
Had a fun day taking a few of my wifes friends out shooting. They are hooked and all talking over what guns to get. [:D]

100_1882.jpg

100_1849.jpg

100_1875.jpg

100_1872.jpg

100_1865.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Friend and I went to visit my dad and shoot at his backyard (50 yd) range. Friend brought his new (to him, but used) 10/22 w/ 3x9 scope.

I played w/ my Anschutz 54 Match and didn't out shoot the 10/22 w/ irons. It might be time to scope the 54. Blast these old (58yo) eyes.

3/4 inch group @ 50 yards. Ruger had a trigger like pulling on a fence post. 1.5 MOA is better than I thought it could do.

10-22%20target%202_zpsgmmjsztk.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Took a friend to the range yesterday. He brought two of his kids with him. They had a blast until we were out of ammo and it was time to go home and clean the guns. The younger one the boy got yelled at for not listening to instructions on cleaning but playing aroud.

PHOT0009.jpg

The older kid, the daughter listened to all advice and spent an extra 20 minutes trying to get the extra clean.

PHOT0015.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Took a buddy, his son and the nephew to the range today.

The young men had a grand time chewing up a brick of low cost Win 22.
    I introduced them to revolver shooting with a S&W Model 35 target.
    Another fella showed up with his son in tow. That young man was delighted to shoot "his" stainless chipmunk while dad was breaking in his new Springfield "Tactical" 45. He offered both of our youngsters the chance to shoot the 45. It's a good thing he brought lots of ammo. Teens seemed more then willing to shoot up ALL the ammo in sight.

Next time we are taking the Hi-power "toys".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Took a young lady that I'm dating and her nine-year-old son out shooting today. I took my dad's old JC Higgins 22 revolver and my 1911 45 ACP with 22 conversion., They were both Fair shots for the first time out And both were very safe. Both of them had to try my 45 ACP. Mama shot one round out of it. The son shot a couple of magazines out of it. They both said it was little bit too heavy for them.

Both of them said that they had more fun today than I have had in years, so it looks like we're going to have to have another Range day in the near future...

I really enjoyed helping Mama shoot. You know, wrapping my arms around her to help her, rubbing my hand down her back to make sure it's straight, running my hands down her legs and bottom to make sure they weren't all tensed (shhhh, I know having tense legs and bottom doesn't matter[:D])...[:p][:p]

Looks like I'm going to have to buy another Centerfire pistol but has less recoil than the 45 ACP so that they can shoot it[:D]... The things we do for women. I need another firearm like I need a hole in my head..[:o)]
  • Options
    brickmaster1248brickmaster1248 Member Posts: 3,344
    edited November -1
    sounds like agood time. Im about due a range trip my ownself. But ill probably just let my son who is 6 shoot his cricket out behind the house tonight.
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds fun. It's always more fun shooting when you don't have to pay for the ammo.[:D] I'm due for a trip to the range as well.
  • Options
    thebigsdthebigsd Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's awesome that you took younger people with you. If you teach them about guns at a young age they learn to respect them. Buying the ammo can get expensive though, unless you stick to .22.
  • Options
    Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats awesome!
    Ive been wanting to ask dad if he wants to go out with my cousin.. Hes all about gaming and stuff, hes 11 year olds and NEVER shot a gun (doesnt even own one..)

Poor kid doesnt know what hes missing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I forgot to mention that we had 3 22 rifles and my revolver.

Marlin single shot bolt
    Romanian Trainer
    Anschutz Match 54

After seeing the Anschutz , my buddy asked "How can you miss with those peep sights?" I replied "that's the whole idea isn't it?".

I was trying to decide which center fire rifle to bring but my Scottish nature reared it's cheap head and I didn't want to burn up the expensive ammo.

We went to the local State Park - I wanted to check out the range. If the 100 yard range is empty the next time we go, and they allow me to shoot the hypotenuse / diagonal, I think we can do some 200 yard shooting.
  • Options
    skeens41skeens41 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    great bonding! getting ready to head out here in a minute. taking the 10/22, k98, and the mini14 out for a test run,
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx
    I forgot to mention that we had 3 22 rifles and my revolver.

Marlin single shot bolt
    Romanian Trainer
    Anschutz Match 54

After seeing the Anschutz , my buddy asked "How can you miss with those peep sights?" I replied "that's the whole idea isn't it?".

I was trying to decide which center fire rifle to bring but my Scottish nature reared it's cheap head and I didn't want to burn up the expensive ammo.

We went to the local State Park - I wanted to check out the range. If the 100 yard range is empty the next time we go, and they allow me to shoot the hypotenuse / diagonal, I think we can do some 200 yard shooting.

Which park did you go to? I was just reading the Island lake range just opened back up.
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don - that's were we went. It's a real nice range. The DNR leased it to a private company... the price went from 4 to 7 dollars per shooter. It's still cheap in my book.

separate 25, 50 and 100 yard ranges. Nice benches with adjustable seat. Take a mat with you if you go, the benches are concrete.

Open 10 to 7 - closed tues and weds

Also Skeet / Trap / sporting clays

I used to go to Bald Mtn at lunch to shoot 5 stand. Those were some great lunch hours. Then the 5 stand broke (3 years ago) and hasn't been fixed yet.

Island Lks has a store... real expensive. Take everything you need.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You ever "hang out" here?
    http://www.migunowners.org/forum/index.php
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I haven't been to MGO in years. I guess I should expand my horizons.

thanks for the link.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just stumbled across it myself, It looks interesting so far..
    Don
  • Options
    Spc FergusonSpc Ferguson Member Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    glad you had fun.
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    Our range is run by a noisy little man !! (aint they all)

its always fun knocking out the wood notches, gutters & nails !! [:D]