In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Government fines

shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in General Discussion
In the last couple of days a couple news stories mentioned fines different companies had to pay.

Sea World had to pay a $75,000 fine after the Orca killed the trainer

Virgina Tech has to pay a $55,000 fine because they didn't alert people fast enough.

Google has to pay for the way it handled privacy issues, I forget the amount.

Why do they have to pay a fine to the government, that is total crap. WTH does that have to do with the government, they just piss it away anyway.

Seaworld should have to spend that money on the victims family and safeguards to prevent it from happening in the future.

Virgina tech could maybe upgrade there response system or something, anything but pay for what was probably an extremely overpriced "assesment" of whether they acted fast enough.

ETC.

Just pisses me off like everything else they do.[;)]

Comments

• Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    You oughtta see the FCC in action. It'll take your breath away.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Fines are simply in place to try and scare people into obeying laws. If someone got caught driving 100+ mph and simply got a speeding ticket I doubt they'd worry too much about it and continue speeding like crazy. On the other hand when someone knows if they get caught driving 100mph they will face a $1000 fine and loss of their license they will think twice before they try it.
  • Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    Fines are simply in place to try and scare people into obeying laws. If someone got caught driving 100+ mph and simply got a speeding ticket I doubt they'd worry too much about it and continue speeding like crazy. On the other hand when someone knows if they get caught driving 100mph they will face a $1000 fine and loss of their license they will think twice before they try it.

I can see a speeding ticket fine.

But what was they reason for fining Sea World $75,000?

When I get caught going 10mph over the limit I know it is gonna cost me around $50. How did they arriving at $75,000 for Sea World or is that the standard for the old "failure to not prevent your killer whale trainer from getting killed by a killer whale" law?
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mostly those fines on death or injury in the workplace go to workers compemsation insurance accounts. After that its anybodys guess.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry- fines do not go to Worker's Comp. They go into the general fund.

Re: Va Tech- they are appealing. They are being fined for not being in compliance with a standard created AFTER the shootings. As far as timeliness, originally they believed they were dealing with a murder/suicide.

I know of one workplace case from Margate FL- really- i mean REALLY- bad trench collapsed, killing one worker, trapping and badly hurting 2 more. Owner of company convicted of manslaughter, 4 yrs in prison, OSHA fined company $86,000. The CIVIL suits amounted to $8.6 million.
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OSHA would not exist if it were not for their ability to fine cmpanies.

Seriously, Congress passed a law a long time ago. OSHA is self supporting. No tax dollars fund OSHA.

If they want to give out bigger raises and bonuses, they have to earn it.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good question . . .

Sorta wonder when Countrywide (and many other companies) got sued by "our" governments ... they all got their cut and left, and the companies pay a relatively minor amount in fines, and walk.

The folks that actually got ripped-off, the consumers, the public, the citizens, got the entire shaft ... and no compensation. The feds and several States took their cuts ... a fraction of the amount lost, or ripped-off, and left the real victims without any real help or assistance.
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink
    You oughtta see the FCC in action. It'll take your breath away.

Had to read it twice, thought you were talking about Eric.[:D]
  • Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    it's called EXTORTION[:(!][xx(][V]
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    better than raising taxes