In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Well, I've started smoking......

Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,596 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
A few weeks, while I was in a tobacco shop with a friend, I came across a small pouch of pipe tobacco for only a couple bucks. Having never tried it, I thought I would pick it up and broaden my horizons a bit.

I didn't have a pipe, so I picked up a cob pipe for an additional 2 bucks.

Two pouches of tobacco and a pipe ended up costing me 6 bucks. I brought it home and fired it up......and now I find myself smoking at least once every other day.

Anyone else smoke a pipe occasionally?

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Now and then I do. It is more nostalgia for me, as the pipes I have were my Papa's and I reminisce when I smoke one.

I smoke 2-3 cigars a week. That is my real smoking pleasure.
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Pipe and cigars is all I smoke. Not a lot. Maybe couple times a week, or so.

Hard to completely give it up!
    edited November -1
    I am not much a fan of cigars or a pipe.

I do however smoke. I would smoke in my sleep if I could. Can you tell I am a fan of cigarettes? [;)]
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,027 ******
    edited November -1
    I gave up tobacco last summer after 36 years of enjoyment. I wish I could just smoke one cigarette a day.
    One cigarette, as long as a hoe handle.
  • Dumpster BabyDumpster Baby Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by freemind

I do however smoke. I would smoke in my sleep if I could. Can you tell I am a fan of cigarettes? [;)]

I quit a couple of months ago due to the price increase caused by social engineering. Many times every day I find myself at a loss on what to do next, because it's time for a smoke and I ain't got any.

[B)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dumpster Baby
    quote:Originally posted by freemind

I quit a couple of months ago due to the price increase caused by social engineering. Many times every day I find myself at a loss on what to do next, because it's time for a smoke and I ain't got any.

[B)]

Roll your own.....

Then learn to GROW your own, and process your own.

I pay 20 bucks for 2400 rolling papers.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I smoked pipes, cigars and cigarettes for years. Stopped for years, then went back to an occasional (once every few weeks) cigar or pipe. After enough surgeries for cancer in various places, I was able to let them all go.

I miss the pipes and cigars, but I don't miss the waiting for biopsy results!
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started smoking cigars in the 70s - a high school teacher gave me a Swisher Sweet while we were on a field trip to DC. He stopped the bus, bought a box for himself and smoked one while he was sitting on the bus. Times change.

I still have the habit, about one a day but usually not on Sundays.
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm still working on packing the pipe right.

Initially, I was packing it too tight....the pipe kept going out it I wasn't puffing constantly. Now I think I'm packing it too loosely, as it smokes well, but seems to burn up rather quickly.
  • catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    I smoke a half a pack to a pack of cigarettes a day during the week. I might smoke a half a pack all weekend with an occasional cigar thrown in the mix.
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    been trying to quit one of the hardest things i have ever done maybe one day i will lay them down but right now down to 5 a day
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    I'm still working on packing the pipe right.

Initially, I was packing it too tight....the pipe kept going out it I wasn't puffing constantly. Now I think I'm packing it too loosely, as it smokes well, but seems to burn up rather quickly.

Takes time to learn, but also remember this, expect to light it a few times before you finish a smoke, and the amount has as much to do with it as how tight it's packed.

Also, light it with a wooden match (Kitchen matches are best) for the best smoke and flavor. Don't use gas or liquid lighters on cigars or pipes.
    edited November -1
    Stop now...before it becomes a habit that you cannot quit. I speak from experience.[B)]
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally don't mind being around friends and family who smoke, but I have never had the urge to do it myself.

Jon
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I paid $29 for a carton of Camel Lights yesterday.
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    I can't help it, I do, still enjoy the occasional Fuente'.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Never started smoking. Never had a desire to smoke. Right now I am watching my 76yo dad waste away to nothing from cancer. He quit smoking about 35 years ago but the damage was already there.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    I'm a ex cigaret smoker and i'm scared to try anything else. I use to smoke a pack and a half of cigs a day and i quit 4 years ago and havnt had one sence. I would love to try one but i just dont dare. so i guess what i'm asking it can i try it with out again getting hooked on something that took me years to kick of should i just stay the F away
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    A few weeks, while I was in a tobacco shop with a friend, I came across a small pouch of pipe tobacco for only a couple bucks. Having never tried it, I thought I would pick it up and broaden my horizons a bit.

I didn't have a pipe, so I picked up a cob pipe for an additional 2 bucks.

Two pouches of tobacco and a pipe ended up costing me 6 bucks. I brought it home and fired it up......and now I find myself smoking at least once every other day.

Anyone else smoke a pipe occasionally?

That was dumb.

I say that as someone who has been smoking for the last 12 years. Quit now before it's too late.
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,027 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    Stop now...before it becomes a habit that you cannot quit. I speak from experience.[B)]

I know what you mean, ECC, but there is really no habit that a man cannot break. Especially with help from a Higher Power.
    I still marvel at my own success. Knowing my own weak will, I know I had help from something bigger than me.
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    I paid $29 for a carton of Camel Lights yesterday.

Anywhere from $40-$45 here in NC
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've smoked a pipe for several years, more so in the warmer months. About twice a week or so I'll go outside and have a nice Cavendish.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

I know what you mean, ECC, but there is really no habit that a man cannot break. Especially with help from a Higher Power.
    I still marvel at my own success. Knowing my own weak will, I know I had help from something bigger than me.

So did I...but how long did it take...and how much damage did it do to your body in the mean time.?.? Don't you wish you had stopped before you really got started?
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Smoked pipes most of my life, off and on. It's so hard now to enjoy as I don't smoke in the house, and a pipe should be leisurely enjoyed. If you continue you will learn how to make it more enjoyable by learning to properly fill and light your pipe. You will probably graduate to briar or meerschaum and the real enjoyment begins. Just read a little, you will find all kinds of tips on line. I have mostly Peterson pipes, couple Dunhills and Comoys and others. If you want a quality briar pipe at reasonable cost you can't beat a Peterson. If you are looking at pipes remember the lighter it feels in the hand, the better it will smoke.
    The recent tobacco tax increases didn't hit pipe tobacco as hard. But as I had been making my own cigaretts for years I may have to pick up a pipe more often. Bulk tobacco for cigarettes went from under $2 to $24 per pound. So what once cost about $12-15 lb. is now in the $35-50 range. I made my own, or injected into filter tubes, to have additive free and sometimes exotic tobaccos that were much better than factory mades with their flavors and floor sweepings and who knows what else. Cigarettes around here are $4-5 a pack with the state still wanting to put another tax on them. This is to fund this SCHIP health ins. scheme that Bush vetoed twice and OStalin was all to happy to sign. Oh well, got off subject. Enjoy the pipe, it can be very relaxing and satisfying. There are so many tobaccos and pipe styles to pick and ponder it can become a real hobby of sorts.