In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The 4th of July

Bubba JoelBubba Joel Member Posts: 5,161
edited June 2015 in General Discussion
The 4th of July!!

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Their story. . Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died.

Twelve had theirhomes ransacked and burned.

Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured.

Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and theirsacred honor.

What kind of men were they? Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists.

Eleven weremerchants. Nine were farmers and plantation (farmers)owners;

men of means, well educated.

But they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to

pay his debts,and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress

without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He

quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she was tortured and died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying.

Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were

laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished.

So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these great patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid.

Remember: freedom is never free!

I hope you will show your support by sending this to as many people as you can, please. It's time we get the word out that patriotism is NOT a sin,

and the Fourth of July means more than beer, picnics, and baseball games. True "reflection" is

a part of this country's greatness.

Comments

• Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...and we wonder about our history....
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I refer to it as "Independence Day".
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good thing our community organizer wasn't around back then
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

And so they did.

Independence Day is about so much more than BBQ's and Fireworks.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    American govt is now smothered in SHAME...and a majority of its stupid self serving citizens don't give a s--t
  • Options
    catgunguycatgunguy Member Posts: 6,089
    edited November -1
    Thank you,"Bubba Joel" for the history. I hope we never forget.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My GGGGrandfather was General George Washington's baggage master during the revolutionary war. The information is on Tennessee Historical Marker THC 1E 60 on US Hwy 11W in Knox County Tennessee.
    http://www.lat34north.com/HistoricMarkersTN/MarkerDetail.cfm?KeyID=047-027&MarkerTitle=Peter%20Shipe

"Born in 1738, he lived near Natural Bridge, Va., until enlisting in the Revolutionary Army. He served as baggage-master for Gen. George Washington. Following his service, he came here, and occupied the grant made to him. He died in 1823, and is buried on..."

His grave stone also has this information on it.
  • Options
    Bubba JoelBubba Joel Member Posts: 5,161
    edited November -1
    I question myself as to if I would have this much patriotism/bravery etc to withstand what these men did. I would hope so, but until it happens we will never know.

We don't see this type of sacrifice anymore from this many.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    My GGGGrandfather was General George Washington's baggage master during the revolutionary war. The information is on Tennessee Historical Marker THC 1E 60 on US Hwy 11W in Knox County Tennessee.
    http://www.lat34north.com/HistoricMarkersTN/MarkerDetail.cfm?KeyID=047-027&MarkerTitle=Peter%20Shipe

"Born in 1738, he lived near Natural Bridge, Va., until enlisting in the Revolutionary Army. He served as baggage-master for Gen. George Washington. Following his service, he came here, and occupied the grant made to him. He died in 1823, and is buried on..."

Natural Bridge is just a little ways down the road from me. [;)]

Those had to know it was a d3eath sentence signing that document, and yet they did it anyways.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar

Those had to know it was a d3eath sentence signing that document, and yet they did it anyways.

I've heard that the scenery around the Natural Bridge area is magnificient. I passed close to there one time, but not close enough.

Smitty500mag:

From the info at the following link it's noted that the marker is missing. Has it been replaced?

http://civilwartalk.com/threads/tennessee-historical-marker-ie-60-peter-shipe-revolutionary-war-soldier.103113/

I've also dealt with the Tennessee State Historical Commission and was told that they do not have the funds to help with markers. I wanted to have one placed on 11W to mark the nearby location of a militia fort that had been lost to history. I have not given up on this goal as yet, and I intend to enlist the help of some Tennessee politicians to bring some pressure to bear on the issue, since the place was not only used by settlers when dealing with Indian problems, but to garrison militiamen that fought in the American Revolution. Are you in tight with anyone who has some pull from Knox or Grainger County?
    What's next?
  • Options
    laxcoachlaxcoach Member Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shilowar,
    Isn't it UP the road from you? I thought you were in Hokieland-- the armpit of Virginia.
    WahooWa!
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Thank you Joel, I sent that around..
    W.D.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1

Smitty,your last name is Shipe??
    That is really cool man!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar

I've heard that the scenery around the Natural Bridge area is magnificient. I passed close to there one time, but not close enough.

Smitty500mag:

From the info at the following link it's noted that the marker is missing. Has it been replaced?

http://civilwartalk.com/threads/tennessee-historical-marker-ie-60-peter-shipe-revolutionary-war-soldier.103113/

I've also dealt with the Tennessee State Historical Commission and was told that they do not have the funds to help with markers. I wanted to have one placed on 11W to mark the nearby location of a militia fort that had been lost to history. I have not given up on this goal as yet, and I intend to enlist the help of some Tennessee politicians to bring some pressure to bear on the issue, since the place was not only used by settlers when dealing with Indian problems, but to garrison militiamen that fought in the American Revolution. Are you in tight with anyone who has some pull from Knox or Grainger County?

They widened the highway there and the marker was supposed to have been stored at the DOT garage and put back in place when work was complete. The last two times I've been though there it's not been replaced. I called to see what the problem was and of course they don't know. Supposedly they've put it on a list of markers to be replaced as funds are available. I'll keep bugging them and maybe it'll get replaced someday.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Smitty,your last name is Shipe??
    That is really cool man!!!!
    [/quote]

Sometimes it's not so cool. I can't count the times I've called in an order for something and find that the P has been changed to a T. [:D]
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of that info has been proven incorrect. But it has been reported that way for years. I have the story somewhere. Maybe I will look for it later. Right now I am in too much pain.
    I have been to Natural Bridge, walked the path and saw Washington's initials he supposedly carved. Very beautiful area.