In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Surface rust cure????

mrdropclothmrdropcloth Member Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in General Discussion
Trying to remove very light surface rust from pistol.
Do you have a "secret" method?
Someone said to rub a terri-cloth cloth with 3-n-1 oil to get 'er done.
How think ye? Thx>

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,414 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    0000 steel wool and light oil Diesel, kerosene, solvent or something. Some people get a woody over Kroil. If it works for you great, but it's never impressed me as any better than any other spray penetrant.
  • Options
    _bruno__bruno_ Member Posts: 854 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    0000 steel wool and light oil Diesel, kerosene, solvent or something. Some people get a woody over Kroil. If it works for you great, but it's never impressed me as any better than any other spray penetrant.

+1 Somebody here on GB recommended this to me. It worked great. I just used a rust prevention spray I picked up at bass pro. But the 0000 steel wool does the trick with just about any oil.
  • Options
    tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    0000 steel wool, is the next best thing compared to sex when it comes to bad personal hygiene on a gun. [:D]
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tneff1969
    0000 steel wool, is the next best thing compared to sex when it comes to bad personal hygiene on a gun. [:D]

Just remember to use a light...er...stroke.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I personally would never use STEEL wool no matter how many 0000000 .I
    prefer Kroil keeping the blued surface Wet with Kroil wrapping with "paper towels and then saran wrap". for at least 24 Hours then Brass pot scrubber or Burlap bag. steel on steel I don't like.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter

What I like and at the same time Dislike about Kroil is that it does not wipe off very easy. Leaves a fine coat on the weapon. Most of the others evaporates too fast.
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    I posted this a while back on same or similar topic but it is worth mentioning again. Big 45 Frontier metal cleaner , rust and dirt remover works great. Advertised not to remove any bluing from the gun. It looks like a metal dish scrubber. The metal it is made of is softer than the bluing on your gun. I have used it and had good result. They say you can cut off small pieces and also use it to remove lead and copper deposits inside the barrel as well. I haven't tried that yet but for rust on the outside it works well.

PS I don't sell this product or have any connection to anyone who does. I just like it![:)]
  • Options
    mrdropclothmrdropcloth Member Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks fellows for all the advise.
    I agree with perry shooter about metal on metal though...
    I will look into the Kroil AND the 45 frontier metal cleaner....I want to help and not hurt this project gun. Thanks again!
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    I would take perry shooter's advice over nearly anybody's. And I've never even met the cat.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kroil and bronze wool or burlap. Listen to Perry Shooter, he shot Perry. Uh, at Perry.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink
    quote:Originally posted by tneff1969

Just remember to use a light...er...stroke.
    Colonel Plink = Mr. Succinct (JMVVHO!) [;)] [:)] [:D]
  • Options
    farmer37farmer37 Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrdropcloth
    Trying to remove very light surface rust from pistol.
    Do you have a "secret" method?
    Someone said to rub a terri-cloth cloth with 3-n-1 oil to get 'er done.
    How think ye? Thx>
    I just cleaned up 2 22 rifles and a shot gun that looked real bad with fine steel wool and a little light oil.I dont like Kroil on hand guns that are kept loaded.You can spray a little Kroil on a rusty surface and see the rust dissolve.Kroil has worked for me when others failed.
  • Options
    djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kroil and burlap is the advice I was given
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    I personally would never use STEEL wool no matter how many 0000000 .I
    prefer Kroil keeping the blued surface Wet with Kroil wrapping with "paper towels and then saran wrap". for at least 24 Hours then Brass pot scrubber or Burlap bag. steel on steel I don't like.
    +1
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kroil or WD-40 and a Scotch-Brite pad. [^]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have found Blue Wonder to work very well. Won't hurt bluing either.