In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rust

pit_viper_53pit_viper_53 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I have been having a BIG problem with rust with my SIG. I clean it constantly with cleaner, lubricant, and rust guard stuff and it still rusts. And then today I took it out of the case I keep it in and the slide was comletely covered in rust.I cleaned it off because it was just a light surface rust. Do you guys have any tips on how to prevent this besides storing it in a dry place? Please don't be sarcastic about immature comments I've made in the past. I'm concerned about this stuff.

Comments

• pit_viper_53pit_viper_53 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did a search, but couldn't refine it enough to get any help.
    Ya, I'm stoopid.
    What I have is a small spot of rust on a Beretta Mod 84. I don't think this is fingerprint type damage, it's not in a normal fingerprint spot. I'm assuming it's just environmental. This is a homeprotection piece so I would kind of like it to stay where it is. It's not in a particularly bad place and is in a soft case that stays unzipped. The case has the wool type lining. When I handle one I wipe off with a Birchwood Casey Silicone Gun and Reel Cloth, and I also use a rag that is soaked in G96 which I spay a little dab and wipe the metal down.
    I have 2 questions
    1. What is the best way to "heal" the rust?
    2. What do I need to do to prevent it in the future?

Thanks to any who read this and especially to any who post.
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Use a pencil. Use the lead end to work out the rust, eraser end to clean it up, then apply a little oil and all will look good again.
    edited November -1
    Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you very much.
    The spot almost made me cry.
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pit_viper_53
    I did a search, but couldn't refine it enough to get any help.
    Ya, I'm stoopid.
    What I have is a small spot of rust on a Beretta Mod 84. I don't think this is fingerprint type damage, it's not in a normal fingerprint spot. I'm assuming it's just environmental. This is a homeprotection piece so I would kind of like it to stay where it is. It's not in a particularly bad place and is in a soft case that stays unzipped. The case has the wool type lining. When I handle one I wipe off with a Birchwood Casey Silicone Gun and Reel Cloth, and I also use a rag that is soaked in G96 which I spay a little dab and wipe the metal down.
    I have 2 questions
    1. What is the best way to "heal" the rust?
    2. What do I need to do to prevent it in the future?

Thanks to any who read this and especially to any who post.

Soft gun rugs like the one you described are notorious for trapping moisture and causing this type of rust.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flitz metal polish is excellent for removing rust without harming the finish.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep it out of wool and leather unless it's stainless.
    edited November -1
    Thanks JamesRK. I actually have some Flitz, too.
    And thanks to Bigtire & v35. Believe it or not, I don't own 1 stainless piece. I do have S&W 57 & 29 in Nickle.
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    +1
    they also make a kick * wax for guns and knives that keeps the polish and protects for years,

quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    Flitz metal polish is excellent for removing rust without harming the finish.
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blue Wonder makes a good cleaner and rust remover too.