In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

that's a lot of drinking

mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in General Discussion
24 million American adults consume 10 or more alcoholic drinks a day.

That just astounds me. Even in college when I was drinking like a fish, I might have consumed 10 or more drinks a day perhaps twice or maybe three times a week. Every single day?!? No flipping way.

How do you even function drinking 10 or more drinks a day?

Comments

• Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    used to do that 8-10 beers a day sometimes with a shot of brandy /tekillya as a chaser too[:0][:0][;)]

that is why i quit,that is a lot drinking i did[:o)][:I][:I]

i am alki free[;)][^][:)][8D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two Words: Lawnmower Beer
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I once knew a guy who ALWAYS had a Gin and Tonic in his hand.

I had always heard about it but really never believed it until one day...
    My wife and I had gone to Myrtle beach early in the season...
    Too cold to get in the water. But, nice enough to walk on the beach.

We had gotten up early to catch the sunrise and walked out on the beach.
    We walked north about two miles then back south about twice as far.
    Then turned to walk back where we had came on the beach.
    As we started back and got about two hundred yards from where we were getting off the beach...
    I seen this guy sitting in a beach chair with the surf washing over his feet.
    The closer we got... The more something felt peculiarly familiar.

We got within about 50 feet and I realized it was Gary. I walked up and asked how he was.
    He explained he had just flown in from a job for a break and wanted to watch the sunrise.
    He had a small six-pack cooler beside him and as we talked he made and consumed two Gin and Tonics.

We met back up together at noon and had lunch... He had some chips and several more Gin and Tonics. [:0]
    I finally asked about the rumor and he admitted he didn't "feel right" without a Gin and Tonic in his hand.

For some people... Chain smoking is routine. For Gary... Gin was his 'routine'.
    I truly believe his BAC was 'normal' "WITH" a fifth of Gin per day.
    Without it... He couldn't function.
  • Options
    wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I take it you've never been through a divorce.
    Born wild, driven crazy.
    12 pack a night for about six months until I finally realized what I was doing to myself.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many many men in my family would pull up, fall out of the truck stumble in the barn. a bottle Canadian whiskey in one hand a milk jug of water in the other.

My cousin Bob, he would just drive around the back roads drinking like a fish. Get drunk enough he'd pull over get his cot out and pass out. Right there off to the side of the road. One time dad and I rolled up on him. Dad said, damn, I hope he ain't dead. I was 10, I was hoping he wasn't dead too! Dad yelled out to him, Bob! Wake your drunk * up! Honk Honk. He didn't move a muscle. I just knew Bob was dead! He finally stirred enough, we backed out and left him there.

Ain't nothing like a bit of country in your blood and a family full of alcoholics.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I hauled logs for a guy that drank a fifth a day, every day. I had heard that story, but didn't believe it, he seemed normal. I thought it was BS until I saw him sober. He had a medical problem of some kind, the doc told him quit or die, real soon. He was a real a hole sober.
    W.D.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    My great grandpa Johnny used to drink a pint of Old Crow every day and a pint has to easily equal to 10 shots of bourbon. He also rolled his own cigarettes and smoked a pouch of some sort of tobacco every day. As kids we used to love to get those empty tobacco pouches (white with a yellow draw string). He lived to be 81 and it was Parkinson's that killed him, not the drinking and smoking.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    Saw it every day working at the liquor store. You have to realize that, once you're playing at that level, the same amount of alcohol that would make you drunk makes them normal. They need to maintain a certain amount in their system just to be right. Getting ripped is a whole new level.

I remember one customer and his lady friend that would come in every day, and I mean every day, and get a half gallon of rum. He bought the cheap spiced kind(Castillo). She favored Castillo silver; but one way or another they were ripping back a 1/2gal of rum a day. Damn...

I used to sell at least ten nips of Smirnoff red top to a guy, two at a time throughout the day. Many nickel and dimers with multiple trips for half pints of ruble vodka. You get to a point where it doesn't even phase you. If you think about it at all, it just depresses you.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was drinking 4-8 drinks every other day or so for awhile, finally slowed that down. When you drink regularly it seems your tolerance goes up a bit.

Grandpa (a good Irish man) smoked heavy and used to have Cutty Sark in his hand morning, noon and night. Drank it neat.
    When it went on sale the guys from the liquor store would bring it to his house by the case and "deliver" bottles all over the house so he had it wherever he was. He couldn't fly without it, he would get the DT's and he wouldn't drink ANYTHING except his Cutty Sark.

He had a spot in his golf bag for his whiskey, even had a Chrysler, Imperial model I think specially done up with a bar in the front passenger seat. Boy times have sure changed!

He had a major heart attack @ 75 on the golf course one day and they tried to do a triple by-pass but the surgeon said his veins simply wouldn't hold up and he never woke up. At least he died doing what he loved to do drinking and playing golf.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    One night, a lady tried to use her alcoholism as some sort of excuse for her bad behavior. (It's never my fault, right?)

She said, "But, I'm an ALCOHOLIC!"

I replied, "Good for you! I've never been able to afford it."

And that's the truth. I don't see how a heavy drinker manages. My budget won't even allow for two a day.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to drink 20-24 beers a day.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mlincoln

That just astounds me. Even in college when I was drinking like a fish, I might have consumed 10 or more drinks a day perhaps twice or maybe three times a week. Every single day?!? No flipping way.

Source?
  • Options
    ATHOMSONATHOMSON Member Posts: 3,399 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My mom's dad drank nothing but Schlitz from the time he got up in the morning until he went to bed. I asked my dad once what Pa-pa was like when he wasn't drinking. Dad said he had known him for 20 years and had no idea. He quit drinking two weeks after my grandmother died.

AT
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a friend in NC when I lived there that stopped and bought a case of Bud Light every single day after work. On Sunday he would drive 100 miles round trip to get beer since Sunday sells were prohibited in our county.

Never could understand why he did not just buy two cases on Saturday.

It would take me ten years to drink a case of that sugar water piss they call Bud Light.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cpermd
    quote:Originally posted by mlincoln

Source?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/09/25/think-you-drink-a-lot-this-chart-will-tell-you/

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/AA70/AA70.htm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I understand it, I've seen it, but I'm still shocked by it. There's a part of me that still gets mad about it. I remember seeing some old fart in his car outside a liquor store pouring a pint of vodka into a Sprite bottle. Then off he drove. I get as mad about that as I do about yahoos out in the woods during hunting season just firing off rounds for the heck of it. Both involve a huge risk to others.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    Never could understand why he did not just buy two cases on Saturday.

I would bet he tried buying 2 cases on Saturday many times. What happened was he would end up drinking both cases on Saturday instead of saving one for the next day.
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Drinks?" A drink might be a drink and still not contain much alcohol. Some people like to brag about how much alcohol they can "drink". Some don't tell the truth. Some can really hold it.

My dad always started the day with about 2 fingers of moon from the jar under the kitchen sink. I'm sure he had many more during the day, and when he got home he hit the moon again before supper. He hardly ever seemed drunk, but I know now he was about half way all the time.

I stopped a ttst one night due to a tip and the driver seemed absolutely sober. Walked a straight line and everything.
    As I was about to let him go, another truck stopped and the driver told me, "that guy is drunk, he has an open fifth of Vodka in the cab."
    I asked him to tell me the truth. He did. He had the bottle but it was almost empty. He blew .18 BAC. Couple of days later, he came by the office and thanked me for stopping him. He had been drinking like that for years, and told me he had been fired, and was going to get his life straightened out before he killed someone.