In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

michigans economy is so bad...

fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
edited October 2011 in General Discussion
today i saw a sight..i live out in rural area on two lane..working in the garage i heard a car slow down and pull over ,thought car problems ..just kept on with what i was doing..looked up and it was a state of mich car,driver in a suit had got out and was PICKING UP CANS and put them in the trunk and left[:0]

Comments

• Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dont have many cans in Detroit. For they sale Dad Dog 20/20, Night Train and Boones Farm in bottles.
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    The sad part is that you are paying for the gas for him to go get cans to supplement his income.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by calrugerfan
    The sad part is that you are paying for the gas for him to go get cans to supplement his income.

and/or there is the possibility that the person does not like to see the litter and garbage often common in the City cluttering the countryside.
  • Options
    Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The economy is very bad here in Mi. yet we're selling over 200 cars a month at the dealership where I work.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sav99
    The economy is very bad here in Mi. yet we're selling over 200 cars a month at the dealership where I work.

Cars sales are no indication of how the economy is doing in a certain area. Someone could sale 500 or even 5 thousand cars a month. All they need to do is find just one bank that will say YES to every one that applies for a loan.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa

Cars sales are no indication of how the economy is doing in a certain area. Someone could sale 500 or even 5 thousand cars a month. All they need to do is find just one bank that will say YES to every one that applies for a loan.

Really the economy is bad here. I was just saying that it's surprising that so many folks are still buying that many cars. The banks are making loans for good credit, no problem there. Our economy has been bad for over thirty years, in a way, I guess we're used to it.
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Sav--Did everybody really ALL move to Florida [?][?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong
    Sav--Did everybody really ALL move to Florida [?][?]

Most everybody has moved. When I was young the town where I live was 52,000. Today, 37,000.
  • Options
    soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    He's probably having trouble making ends meet now that he has to pay out for his health insurance.I know it's killing me.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Dont have many cans in Detroit. For they sale Dad Dog 20/20, Night Train and Boones Farm in bottles.

WRONG !!!!!!!

There are very many AFRI-CANS & PORTORI-CANS [;)][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters

WRONG !!!!!!!

There are very many AFRI-CANS & PORTORI-CANS [;)][:D]

I bet that a lot of people are even carrying Colt 45's.

"Malted" of course..[;)][:)]
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Isn't detriot the city that is trying to get citizens to move into vacant houses closer to the city so they can save money on emergency services, trash service, utilities?

How insane is it you can abandon your house, move into someone else's abandoned house closer to the city and it just becomes your property because you moved into it? All so the city can save money?

Well I still say if you drive a foreign car, you should part of the blame.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thermonuclear

You need to do some research before you post sheet like that..

For their are more Americans working building "foreign cars" right here in the US than all of the "Big three" have combined.

Acura
    Audi (USA)
    BMW of North America
    Global Electric Motorcars, LLC
    Honda
    Hyundai
    Infiniti
    Isuzu
    Kia Motors America
    Mazda (USA)
    Mitsubishi Motors USA
    Nissan USA
    Saturn
    Subaru
    Suzuki
    Toyota (USA)
    Volkswagen of America, Inc.
    Volvo of North America

Cars and trucks built on American soil, by American workers.
    Sorry dude. But I would buy two or three American built Toyota's before I would even think of buying a Mexican built GM.
  • Options
    camodudecamodude Member Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Really the economy is bad here. I was just saying that it's surprising that so many folks are still buying that many cars. The banks are making loans for good credit, no problem there. Our economy has been bad for over thirty years, in a way, I guess we're used to it.

Detroit /Youngstown/pitts all took the hit 30 years ago with the mill work . Sad isnt it !!?? We used to be powerhouses ...now were ghetto and full of crime . I always wonderd what y/town looked like in the 50's when it had work and pride ....
  • Options
    edited November -1

For their are more Americans working building "foreign cars" right here in the US than all of the "Big three" have combined.

Acura
    Audi (USA)
    BMW of North America
    Honda
    Hyundai
    Infiniti
    Isuzu
    Kia Motors America
    Mazda (USA)
    Mitsubishi Motors USA
    Nissan USA
    Saturn
    Subaru
    Suzuki
    Toyota (USA)
    Volvo of North America

Sorry dude. But I would buy two or three American built Toyota's before I would even think of buying a Mexican built GM.

oh

well how many are in MI?

The money still goes back overseas... just a little change stays here.

Foreign cars will not help this country selling our cars in their country is what will help our country.
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    GM built overseas in Rayong, Thailand--Chevy Colorado, GMC Canyon [:

(!] GMC Acadia--* engine.. Korean transmission.. Body by Nacho Mamas' [:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1

oh

well how many are in MI?

Foreign cars will not help this country selling our cars in their country is what will help our country.

Let's see Mazda, Mitsubishi are two that are located in MI.

Gm had a stamping plant here that made car panels (floor pans, fenders, hoods, doors etc). They could not make a profit so they said. So they closed the pant and moved it to Mexico. Around 300 Americans lost their jobs.

Meanwhile..

Toyota came here and built an engine and transmission assembly plant. They have expanded every year since and now have over 2000 employees working full time. That is 2000 Americans building engines and transmissions for Toyota.

Oh and the stamping plant. BMW bought it and put 400+ Americans to work stamping parts in the same building, same town and the same state that GM could not make a profit in.
  • Options
    edited November -1

oh

well how many are in MI?

Let's see Mazda, Mitsubishi are two that are located in MI.

Gm had a stamping plant here that made car panels (floor pans, fenders, hoods, doors etc). They could not make a profit so they said. So they closed the pant and moved it to Mexico. Around 300 Americans lost their jobs.

Meanwhile..

Toyota came here and built an engine and transmission assembly plant. They have expanded every year since and now have over 2000 employees working full time. That is 2000 Americans building engines and transmissions for Toyota.

Oh and the stamping plant. BMW bought it and put 400+ Americans to work stamping parts in the same building, same town and the same state that GM could not make a profit in.

Isn't Mazda a Ford?

oh yes, a whole 1 of them.

Great! and why did gm quit stamping again? I was under the impression it was because the union wanted $50 an hr for unskilled labor.

I guess if those foreign companies had to pay $50 an hour for unskilled labor they would be in mexico or china just as quick.

We can play this all night, but you are still wrong.

just show me that the unions treat them and gm the same. Show me something, anything. This goes back to what I was talking about a couple weeks ago. The unions are breaking this country. They will not give gm the same bargin they give these foreign auto makers.

here it is from mlive.com

"Ashton wrote that "difficult restrictions" have been placed on the union and company as a result of the bailout. To get the government funding, the union had to agree not to strike over wages at GM and Chrysler. Also, unresolved issues can be taken to binding arbitration, and the union's new contracts must keep the companies' labor costs competitive with Asian automakers such as Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda Motor Co."

As long as the unions cut better labor deals with the foreign car makers, this country will suffer. It's great 2400 people have jobs for foreign auto makers, but it's for parts that stay here and they are paid less to work for those comapnies so not as much money is here as you think.

it looks to me, they use the cheap labor deal to make low cost parts here to put in cars they sell here to undermine the us sales of us cars. And they are making more money per vehicle they undercut domestic cars with.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So you would rather pay dues to a worthless union and be out of a job than make $2.00 less an hour with good benefits?

The lowest paid guy that I know who works at Toyota makes $18.00 an hour, gets three weeks paid vacation, 14 paid sick days, has a good 401 plan, profit sharing, good insurance and retirement. And he is just a cook in the cafeteria.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fordsix
    today i saw a sight..i live out in rural area on two lane..working in the garage i heard a car slow down and pull over ,thought car problems ..just kept on with what i was doing..looked up and it was a state of mich car,driver in a suit had got out and was PICKING UP CANS and put them in the trunk and left[:0]
    He is a guberment worker wathcing you make those girly dresses from bovine sacs. You are under the radar...[;)][;)][:0]
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    well i confess i did think he was spying on me..you know how us peoples are when we are from out there
  • Options
    edited November -1

Acura
    Audi (USA)
    BMW of North America
    Honda
    Hyundai
    Infiniti
    Isuzu
    Kia Motors America
    Mazda (USA)
    Mitsubishi Motors USA
    Nissan USA
    Saturn
    Subaru
    Suzuki
    Toyota (USA)
    Volvo of North America

oh

well how many are in MI?

What does "The money still goes back overseas" mean? Opposed to what? Are the CEO's of the big 3 handing out cash on the street corners? Are Big 3 still expanding in India and China? Building plants there? Are their profits going over seas? Doesn'tthe Big Three invest in foreign stocks? Overseas?
    Meanwhile, the Japs are building plants here and hiring American workers.

Back to my question, how does this so called profits going back overseas effect anyone of us??

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90776/90884/6556485.html

http://www.auto123.com/en/news/car-news/second-engine-plant-in-china-for-ford?artid=123212
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by calrugerfan

sounds like a federally mandated green jobs program [B)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What does "The money still goes back overseas" mean? Opposed to what? Are the CEO's of the big 3 handing out cash on the street corners? Are Big 3 still expanding in India and China? Building plants there? Are their profits going over seas? Doesn'tthe Big Three invest in foreign stocks? Overseas?
    Meanwhile, the Japs are building plants here and hiring American workers.

Back to my question, how does this so called profits going back overseas effect anyone of us??

Sav99
    He stated the facts in red and yet he supports the UAW Union.

quote:... and the union's new contracts must keep the companies' labor costs competitive with Asian automakers such as Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda Motor Co."

Simply as that. The big three can not compete against foreign car companies in the US due to greedy Unions raping them.
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That was a GM employee picking up materials to build Chevys.