In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Legality to use versus perceived intent

Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
edited April 2007 in General Discussion
Following on the heels of the VT tragedy:

The use of hollow point ammunition by civilians for self-defense seems to an issue that is mucked up by both prosecuting attorneys and many LEO's.

Although legal to buy and use in a carry gun in many states, including here in AZ, the "perception" created in some folks' minds apparently is that the use of HP's implies more of a lethal intent from the get-go rather than just the stopping of the more imminent threat.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forget the Hollow Points... Schtorm Troupers wear lots of body armor.

Stockpile AP
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slow_Hand
    Following on the heels of the VT tragedy:

The use of hollow point ammunition by civilians for self-defense seems to an issue that is mucked up by both prosecuting attorneys and many LEO's.

Although legal to buy and use in a carry gun in many states, including here in AZ, the "perception" created in some folks' minds apparently is that the use of HP's implies more of a lethal intent from the get-go rather than just the stopping of the more imminent threat.

Opinions? Thoughts?

I saw that in "Combat Handguns" this is the new attempt of defense attorneys to place blame on the victim. The way to defeat this line of questioning is to point out that the police use hollowpoints to insure that others in the line of fire are not injured by solid bullets going through the perp and injuring other inocent people standing close to the line of fire.

This is why it is important for individuals carrying guns to insure that they stick with a type of ammo that the local police use. Never, never use reloads or any firearm that is hotrodded with a hair trigger or even with a name that implies that you are a cowboy.

This is one of the reasons I use a lower powered pistol for carry. Its a 380 with Winchester Silvertips. Kel-Tec cost lesss than $300 and if its taken by the police following a defensive shooting I will not be sick after losing the pistol. You play hell ever getting them back, they are evidence!

My gun can never be stated to be overpowered, its a close up defensive cal for protection, not offense. The silvertips are hollowpoint, but not the biggest, badist hot round available these days, but will do the job and can be defended in court.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sig232
    The way to defeat this line of questioning is to point out that the police use hollowpoints.

This is why it is important for individuals carrying guns to insure that they stick with a type of ammo that the local police use.

+1

That is why I use what the cops carry.
  • Options
    spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    My defense would be: "I use hollowpoints whether plinking or squirell
    hunting". Of course I also use them for self defense, since my goal
    is to stop the offense, not to just p*ss em off.
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spryor
    My defense would be: "I use hollowpoints whether plinking or squirell
    hunting". Of course I also use them for self defense, since my goal
    is to stop the offense, not to just p*ss em off.

Always remember when facing a Grand Jury that is trying to decide whether or not you acted in self defense to put aside any macho attitude and simple say, "I know I was going to be killed if I did not defend myself!" That is a key phrase and hopefully it will be a true statement.