In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

'92 Explorer 4 Dr 4X4 4.0 V-6 XL

Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Thinking about buying this one for winter use, and maybe for my coming Tour of America.

Any thoughts, experiences, recommendations, cautions.... ??

Thank you.

Doug

Comments

• FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I think '92 was the last year of the BAD factory paint jobs industry wide caused by bad primer.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,867 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    We bought a 93 two years ago in Portland. Somebody whacked a pole or tree dead center with it. We brought it home and fixed it up. The warden's been driving it for two years. We like it.
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FIX OR REPAIR DALIY[:p]

nah...j/k....bring a wrench head with you to look at it and if its in good shape, go for it. To expensive to buy a brand new 4x4 nowadays.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a 91 got 275000 miles out of it one transmission rebuild at 190000. Gave it to my step son didn't last too long after that
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,025 ******
    edited November -1
    A co-worker affectionatly calls his "My Ford Exploder".
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I used to have a 94 two door sport edition. It was a great viechle and got pretty good fuel mileage.
  • wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    Thinking about buying this one for winter use, and maybe for my coming Tour of America.

Thank you.

Doug

Doug,

I had a '90 Ranger with the 4.0 V6. Good motor. Never had a problem with it.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:I used to have a 94 two door sport edition. It was a great viechle and got pretty good fuel mileage

I had the 4 door version. agree about great vehicle and good gas mileage. comfortable ride for a 4x4.
    tom
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Thanks, y'all.

Doug
    edited November -1
    More, please ??

Thank you.

Doug
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1

Thank you.

Doug

I own a 94....240k miles. Never thought I would say it about a Ford, but it is th4e best pickup I have owned.
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    I had a '91 XLT. Sweet ride. Put well over 200,000 on it. 2nd ex-wife drove the hell out of it.
    edited November -1
    One thing about Explorers is that they ride ROUGH. Very stiff suspension. Everyone I know who owns one says so. Doesn't matter what year.
    I would suggest an Oldsmoble Bravada w/Smart Trak 4WD on demand transmission.
    Our '92 is the best vehicle I've ever owned. Absolutely the best on snow/ice. Sure footed as a mountain goat.
    We've got over 300K on the V-6 engine and still runs great, burns 0 oil. Replaced main rear w/d tranny once.
    Only bad point we've seen is that the V-6 appears too small to pull camper trailer. Pulls it ok, but gets hot.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fatstrat
    One thing about Explorers is that they ride ROUGH. Very stiff suspension. Everyone I know who owns one says so. Doesn't matter what year.
    I would suggest an Oldsmoble Bravada w/Smart Trak 4WD on demand transmission.
    Our '92 is the best vehicle I've ever owned. Absolutely the best I've ever driven on snow/ice. Sure footed as a mountain goat.
    We've got over 300K on the V-6 engine and still runs great, burns 0 oil. Replaced main rear w/d tranny once.
    Only bad point we've seen is that the V-6 appears too small to pull camper trailer. Pulls it ok, but gets hot.
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    As long as it's free. That has very little value, maybe $500 at the most. You get what you pay for. I suggest you look at newer used Expeditions or even a new Expedition. We have an '03 Eddie Bauer and love it.

There is very little gas mileage difference between the two but the Expedition is MUCH larger.
    edited November -1
    I'll be able to get it for maybe $1700 total.

There is no more Olds, but I always liked them, and that's all my Brother drove for 40 years.

I have to pay cash for it, so I'm quite limited.

Any other thoughts ??

Thank you.

Doug
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is the automatic locking hub model stay away from it as they are prone to breaking because they have plastic internals and can leave you stranded at the time you need 4x4. If it is a manual hub model then go for it--I don't know if you can convert it to a manual setup. If it is the electronic touch drive shift on the fly model make sure it actually engages-they have a lever actuated model too-both are shift on the fly. My sister has a '94 that has been a decent rig but it is a leaker in the transmission dept. and has been repaired 3 times for that.
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I won't be able to drive it 'til tomorrow, but that is really helpful information.

Doug
  • iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    Find a 95 to 01 Jeep Cherokee with the 4L and a manual tranny. You can't beat it compared with an Explorer. It will outlast you!
    edited November -1
    I'll be able to get it for maybe $1700 total.

There is no more Olds, but I always liked them, and that's all my Brother drove for 40 years.

I have to pay cash for it, so I'm quite limited.

Any other thoughts ??

Thank you.

Doug

Since you were looking at a used Ford, I figured you might look for a used Bravada. Olds is gone, but we haven't had any trouble finding parts. Yet. Not that we've needed many. I think most everything except the tranny is interchangable w/the Chevy Blazer.
    Trust me, that Smart Trak is the shiznit on snow/ice! My wife and I both have newer/nicer vehicles for daily drivers. But we keep that Bravada for my 70 mile round trip to work commute during winter storms.
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Fastrat.

I'll take a look for one.

What years were they mage, and how much are nice ones going for ??

I'll search the 'net and fleabay.

Thank you, again.

Doug
  • utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a '92 XLT EB and over the course of the 75,000 miles I had it, there were 3, yes 3, transmissions and 4 torque convertors in that piece of coprolite. The A4LD transmission sucks. Started rusting out in front of the rear wheels on the rocker panels. Parents replaced the first transmission and transfer case before I bought it from them at 50k miles. If it did not have the problems, I'd still be driving it.
  • sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    I think you should scrap the Ford idea an just buy a Harley! You know you have always wanted one and you will have to beat the chicks off your back![:D]