In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Unwanted Phone Calls

tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in General Discussion
..I've hit on an answer that works pretty well. "Hello, I'm bound to inform you that this call is being recorded. Please continue".

..A buddy lives in an unincorporated, but named community. He answers with: "XXXXXXX Police Dept. Sgt. Harrison speaking, can I help you?"

..I've tried an air horn, but since they have volume control on their headsets, it doesn't really work. One told me..."You know that wasn't loud at all". Then wanted to argue. Informing them that the number on the caller ID will be given to the State's Attorney won't help either. Often, the number they call from has been hijacked. I even got one from my own phone number!

Comments

• Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ask them to hold on for a minute.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******
    edited November -1
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heard that on my drive to work years ago on Bob & Tom, Mr. Perfect. He also had a similar one about a carpet cleaner calling the home owner and he wanted the business to come right out to clean up all the blood. There probably are more.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbxjeff
    Heard that on my drive to work years ago on Bob & Tom, Mr. Perfect. He also had a similar one about a carpet cleaner calling the home owner and he wanted the business to come right out to clean up all the blood. There probably are more.
    There are a ton. I have a whole set of CD's I may do a giveaway of them if there is interest.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    quote:Originally posted by cbxjeff
    There are a ton. I have a whole set of CD's I may do a giveaway of them if there is interest.

I would love them. I am in.Oak
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm in too. They have some really funny chit.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tom Mabe is a genius. His standup is hysterically funny too!

Merc
  • Options
    Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    I sometimes answer "XXXXX County Poor House. Head Pauper speaking. When may we expect you?"
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just lay the phone down & let them waste their time talking. After a while I pick it up & if they are still there I say something to keep them talking & lay it back down.
  • Options
    djtdjt Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's the answer to the problem, get a
    SENTRY Dual Mode Call Blocker. Block 100% Robo Calls. Stop All Junk Calls, Election Calls, Survey Calls.
    bought one on amazon for 39 dollars, well worth it.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the upcoming vote on Tuesday... Political calls are coming in about two/hour. [:(!]
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Hello, I'm bound to inform you that this call is being recorded for possible future litigation. Please continue".

A nice addition ...............

[^][:D][^]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got one just this morning from my own phone number. That is a pretty good trick.

I used to have a recording from the de Niro movie, Taxi, where is he looking in the mirror and playing with his guns.
    I would get a telemarketer on the phone, and tell him "Just a minute, I will get Mr. Griggs."
    Then I would play the recording into the phone...

"Are you talking to me? Well I don't see anybody else in here.
    Who the f*** are you talking to? You talking to me?"
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been getting 5 or 6 calls a day, all political and all ROBO calls.
    All you can do is answer and then hang up.

We are registered on the national no call list but I guess that these political a-holes are exempt.
    Sure am glad the the election is Tuesday ... don't know how much more of this crap I could stand. [:(!]
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Poor ole Tap,.......even his phone's got spooks!
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We've been getting robo calls from Colorado regarding some senatorial election there. We live in Washington!
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bullshot

We are registered on the national no call list but I guess that these political a-holes are exempt.
    Sure am glad the the election is Tuesday ... don't know how much more of this crap I could stand. [:(!]

Naturally political calls were specifically made exempt when Congress drew up the legislation.

Some of the original bills written by consumer activist groups were really tough and had some teeth, but thanks to lobbying by telemarketers, the final legislation was toned down quite a bit.

I have caller ID and if I don't recognize a name or a phone number the answering machine can take the call. The big PITA in my area are the solar energy companies.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I tell them I am Amish and can only use the phone for church business.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bullshot

I've been getting 5 or 6 calls a day, all political and all ROBO calls.
    All you can do is answer and then hang up.

And the Robo call places do not care. They call anyway, paying fines if any, is part of the cost of doing business. They must get business to keep doing it, just like the Nigerians with $4,200,855,000,000 to give away.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1BigGuy
    We've been getting robo calls from Colorado regarding some senatorial election there. We live in Washington!

Measure 92 here in Oregon must have had 6 or 7 from them. I am from Oregon. BUT THEY CALLED SO MUCH I ALMOST VOTED FOR IT CAUSE THEY WERE CALLING FOR ME TO VOTE AGAINST IT.
  • Options
    e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending on Who it is calling I either hang up or mess with Them.