In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

mosin nagant VS k98

jackson231jackson231 Member Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in General Discussion
which would you rather have-tell why or why not

Comments

• Options
    Glock23ExpertGlock23Expert Member Posts: 1,031 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The k98, hands down. The Mauser action is one of the most copied long gun actions in history. Action's smooth as butter, the 3-position safety in my opinion is much more reliable than that of the Mosin's safety. Your question asks which I'd rather have, and I have one of both, a 1940 k98 and a 1934 MN 91/30, but I'd take the k98 any day, everyday, over the MN.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why choose? I've got an MN and hope to acquire a K98 in the future. That's the beauty of a free and capitalist system. It doesn't necessarily have to be either/or.
  • Options
    gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    In all honesty...it's hard as hell to not say my old beat up M44 is not one of my favorites in the safe. You can abuse the crap out of them. Find one in just about ever gun store for dirt cheap. Ammo is cheap as well, and that damn recoil and muzzle blast are down right intoxicating. I love my M44 just as much as any other resident in my safe so I guess I have to say that I'd pick the Mosin (the M44 that is) over the K98. The're just so wicked and worry free.[8D]
  • Options
    MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    Hmmmm...

Think i'll go with the Mosin Nagant. Solid Soviet engineering at half the price.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Matt:
    I wondered wich one you were gonna pick.[:D]
    Jeff
  • Options
    KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have to go with mosin nagant, mainly for the ammo issue.

In my experience it is difficult to find RELIABLE milsurp ammo in 8mm mauser. A fiend has a k98 and has milsurp ammo from God-knows-where (Argentina maybe?), about 2-3 out of 5 rounds fail to go bang.

I have no problem finding (relatively) recent manufacture milsurp 7.62x54R which goes "bang" every time [8D]
    theres also a lot of commerical Russian stuff which goes for fairly cheap