In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

locking lug nuts

53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Who would think to check. I never did, but have never had them so...

Older daughter had a flat last night and now we discover the dang rodeo has a locking lug nut and no "key" was given by the dealer. Granted it was used with 14k miles, but previous owner evidently did not give up key with the sale of the vehicle.
It is one of the kind with the star shaped head and round sides.

Tire store guy said to try to drive an oversized socket over top and try turning. These lug nuts have not been off the vehicle for 3 years so it is pretty tight.

Other than a cold chisel and a hammer, anybody got any ideas on this one.

Comments

• WinM70WinM70 Member Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Way back in my salvage yard days that was how we got them off.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you can get a small pipe wrench on it it may break it free, grind it square and then put a socket on it, weld a nut to the end of it take it off, use dremmell to cut it off. its best to throw it away when you get it off, and the rest of them, guessing there is one on each wheel?
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    spray it with wd or heat them up, and a large pair of vise grips put on as tight as you can muscle them, then hammer
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    vise grips with the hammer.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.tooldesk.com/products/default.aspx+sid+273 - 35k scroll down to lock tech socket most auto parts stores have them that is what most tire shops use
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Those wrencehes can be hid pretty good. Make sure you've searched all tghe corners, under the hood, in the glovebox, etc. for hidey-holes.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can find a special Socket just for those. Hammer on turn off. Most tire stores should have one. At least those who want to make sure they make a sale. Lots of folks want new tires but can't find the key.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dnelson457
    You can find a special Socket just for those. Hammer on turn off. Most tire stores should have one. At least those who want to make sure they make a sale. Lots of folks want new tires but can't find the key.

Works like an external ezout works on rounded off nuts too
  • big genobig geno Member Posts: 2,685 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have the lock removel tool set that someone posted there for 48 bucks,we charge 10 bucks each to remove them[:I], i bet you could go to the dealer and buy a new key[:)]
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Savs link has the tapered LH thread tool. Their the best. That's what all the tire theivs use..
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 53hawkeye
    Older daughter had a flat last night and now we discover the dang rodeo has a locking lug nut and no "key" was given by the dealer.

Same thing happened to me on my truck. I TiG welded a nut over the top of the locking lug nut. Off in 30 seconds.
  • mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Usually the key is zip tied to the jack! My cousin bought a used vehicle and said they didn't give him the lock key either, he said he looked in all the compartments and didn't find anything, so he brought it over to see if i could get the locks off, and i looked at the jack, and there it was zip tied to the jack!
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    quote:Originally posted by 53hawkeye
    Older daughter had a flat last night and now we discover the dang rodeo has a locking lug nut and no "key" was given by the dealer.

Same thing happened to me on my truck. I TiG welded a nut over the top of the locking lug nut. Off in 30 seconds.

I will remember that. Had same deal.. no key.. I jacked up the tire after all lugs were off and kept dropping the jack .. till the stud broke..[:(!][:(!][:(!] after beating the daylights out of it.
  • penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    OMG... here we go again...Are these lugs concaved inside the rim or are they exposed? Many answers and nobody has a clue of your particular situation.

I'm guessing these will be exposed lugnuts beyond the rim, its a Jap car not German, the Mexicans are converting them daily here. So only you can answer that
    ...All you need is most likely a 19mm maybe 21mm twist socket. Its an external bolt extractor. You use it like you would any other socket, except it hugs around the outside of the nut....Keep in mind, it will destroy the locking lug nut...But should not matter. Your just wanting to get it off. So you replace with a new nut.
  • 53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
    edited November -1
    I want to thank all for their helpful suggestions.

I went to auto parts store after trying to use a cold chisel. Feel like an idiot when the guy brings me a ez out socket. Man I should have waited for your answers, but had to run the 25 mile trip to town to assist daughter just after I posted for help.

Well, got it off, now all I have to do is put it in the vise and take a pipe wrench to the other end to remove old lug, then on to the other 3.

The 10.00 for the set of two ez outs wasn't the bad part, the 400.00 check I ended up loaning the daughter for new tires is,[xx(]

Thanks again guys, and have a great Memorial Day weekend!
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,062 ******
    edited November -1
    A LONG time ago, fellers that would steal custom wheels used to tell me they dealt with locking lug nuts by hitting the lug with a large hammer, breaking the lug off the hub.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    If you can get to them a good pipe wrench will normally do the job.

I have done this many times.
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    The problem is the vehicle. What you need is one of those fancy vehicles like we used to have back in the day. They didn't have those locking lug nuts. So if you have a vehicle that doesn't have fancy locking lug nuts then you don't ever run into a situation where you don't have a key for the locking lug nuts since there are no locking lug nuts for which to have a key to lose or never have.

Hopefully you have found my post most helpful.