In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Thinking of building a custom Ruger 10/22

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I was thinking of buying a (Used) cheap basic model stripping it down too nothing and rebuilding it.

Any tips are welcome!

I was going to start off with a Volquartsen 20" Tension Barrel/Comp,
Trigger group not sure yet what to get, and a Boyds Blaster Silhouette
stock.

Any other goodies I should get?

Comments

• NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I have several but none built like that.

The two things I like most are oversized mag release if you are using anything other then factory 10rd mags. The one I like is not made anymore, and I dont remember who makes it now.

The other nice thing is the "auto" bolt release. You can either buy one for about $15 or for 5 min with a Dremel modify it yourself. What this does is allow you to release the bolt just by pulling it back.
  • WinM70WinM70 Member Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can get a ton of ideas from rimfire central.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys- This will be my first 10/22, it will most likely be a winter project.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    Thanks guys- This will be my first 10/22, it will most likely be a winter project.

WOW, first.

Here is some for your viewing pleasure:

DSC06874.jpg
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not go all out and even get a better reciever.

Was thinking of going that way.

But from what I can piece together it would be cheaper in the long run to oick up one of the good ones already done.
  • DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FrancF:

This is a fun hobby for me. As already mentioned, check in at RimfireCentral.com. There is a wealth of information there in the various 10/22 forums.

Start by getting rid of that horrible factory paint. I don't recommend this for many firearms, but strip the receiver, coat with EZ-Off Oven cleaner, and bake at 250 for an hour. Any spray paint will do for the refinish. Pink sparkly metal flake if you like.[:D]

Polish the bolt with a felt wheel on your bench grinder, and some Flitz metal polish, the guide rod too.

Auto bolt release is nice, and easy, but 'last shot bolt hold open' is a better trick.

Good luck

BTW My Butler Creek Barrel was a whole lot cheaper, and it shoots real well, but it's heavy.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid

WOW, first.

Here is some for your viewing pleasure:

DSC06874.jpg

Thanks! Most of my stuff is center fire. I do have a bunch of .22's But mostly Vintage single shots (Crickets etc. My moms heavy Stevens match target and so on). My last rimfire that I bought was a savage 93 that Groundhogdevastation (GHD) and others helped me build into a real rat killer.

So now, I think I have been bitten by the 10/22 bug![:D]
    edited November -1
    Forgot to add my other dilemma, .22 lr or .22 wmr[?]
  • bigt7mmbigt7mm Member Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FrancF,stick with .22lr,IMHO.

Check on rimfirecentral.com More info than you can imagine.

These guns are capable of amazing accuracy,with the right components and a little tweeking.

Here's one I did a while back:
    [img][/img]100_1317.jpg
    [img][/img]100_1312.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigt7mm
    FrancF,stick with .22lr,IMHO.

Check on rimfirecentral.com More info than you can imagine.

These guns are capable of amazing accuracy,with the right components and a little tweeking.

Here's one I did a while back:
    [img][/img]100_1317.jpg
    [img][/img]100_1312.jpg

[:p][:p][:p]
    Gotta love a tack driver, I have been over at that sight! I am still reading! thanks Bigt-
  • lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tom Volquartsen builds some fine rifles but they are spendy. I bought one of his barrels from Cheaper Than Dirt, bought a Power Custom trigger kit and a Hogue stock. Not counting the donor rifle or scope I've got $250.00 in mods. I bought the 10/22 used for $150. The gun will shoot at least 1/2" groups at 50 yards with match ammo. Trigger pull came out at about 1-1/2lbs. lots of fun to say I "built" it, but really just assembled the parts. I figure I saved about $600.00 over buying one from Tom. The tensioned barrels are light, but I preferred a heavy one. Depends on what you want to use it for.
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been there, done that, loved every second. Shoots great! Did this about 9 years ago. One word of advice. Get a video. I got one done by Jim Clark Jr. Tells how to completely disassemble/reassemble the 10/22. When you are replacing trigger and other small parts it is really handy. Makes it easy to do. There were a few times I think I ran a 30 second segment 50 times or more. Than the light would come on. I hope you have as much fun as I did.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lkannes
    Depends on what you want to use it for.

Varmints-[:D] and thanks for the info! [^] I am saving all my center fire varmint ammo till things cool off.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dreher
    Been there, done that, loved every second. Shoots great! Did this about 9 years ago. One word of advice. Get a video. I got one done by Jim Clark Jr. Tells how to completely disassemble/reassemble the 10/22. When you are replacing trigger and other small parts it is really handy. Makes it easy to do. There were a few times I think I ran a 30 second segment 50 times or more. Than the light would come on. I hope you have as much fun as I did.

Thank you too![^]
    edited November -1
    Probably should add that I have been thinking of doing another 10/22. This time I want to do one with a standard barrel, not the heavy .920 barrel. I know it probably wont be quite as accurate as going with the heavier barrel, but am going for a very accurate plinker. Goal is a light weight, much more accurate than a stock 10/22. Something that can make a soup can bounce, jump and beg for mercy on a rapid fire basis. Open sights or a red dot? That is where I can't make up my mind.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    Mine is pretty basic. I only have about $300 in it.

2008061610220012.jpg
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Before you buy one, you might want to wait for my giveaway in the next couple of weeks.

Somebunny may be giving some 10/22s away.

Doug
    edited November -1
    You can sign me up right now! You can never have to many 10/22s!
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    If you want .22 Mag. good luck. I finally found one at a decent price and converted it over to .17 HMR. Since Ruger discontinued them they are high dollar and scarce.
    PC060019.jpg
  • tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    iv been thinking about buying to 1022 target but I may check into getting a used stock one to rebuild it just for the fun of it
    snice Iv never done one before
  • mauser54mauser54 Member Posts: 3,733
    edited November -1
    Go ahead and add my name in early on this giveaway![:p][:D][:p]quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    Before you buy one, you might want to wait for my giveaway in the next couple of weeks.

Somebunny may be giving some 10/22s away.

Doug
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    tazzer,

You'll surely enjoy shooting it more if you build it. It feels good, too when someone asks where you got it and you say, "I built it".
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,657 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few years back I built one using nothing but parts bought off ebay (as a for of a protest). I did buy a M.O.A. reciever from Brownell's it's stainless and unlike the aluminum factory. The barrel is a Hogue Bull 20" in stainless as well as the stock. KID bolt and trigger group (trigger group is a two stage set at 20/20 ounce). Power Custom titanium extractor, bolt handle assembly and firing pin. Yellow Jacket Buffers (not so good). EGW Picatinny Rail Extended Scope Mount. A.R.M.S. Low Scope Rings. Versa Pod Bipod and adapter.

I'd post a pic but I forgot the password on Photo Bucket[:D].
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I honestly didn't think it was possible to turn a 10/22 into an EBR... I must say, it doesn't look half bad.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've thought about building one in 17hmr ... but I'm really not much of a Ruger fan.

When I built this one, I spent nearly as much as it would have cost me to build an AR ... its crazy.

P4190026.jpg
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • dbain99dbain99 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats on the build. I had much more fun on my 10/22 build than my AR15 build.
    Using an donor gun is a good way to go if you dont mind pedaling off the stock and barrel.
    Barrel you seem set. Most important part in a build.
    Trigger group: Kidd is the cats meow as they saw but I cant stand a two stage trigger no matter how good it is. VQ has a drop in group for about $2oo.
    If you want to polish your bolt and guide rod yourself go ahead, but I cant speak highly enough about the work Randy at CPC does. Plus the jeweling looks pretty cool too.
    Upgrade your extractor I have a Clark barrel so I got his extractor too.
    Get a good buffer either WeaponKraft or a TufferBuffer.
    Bedding is another good point of intrest.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    I was thinking of buying a (Used) cheap basic model stripping it down too nothing and rebuilding it.

Any tips are welcome!

I was going to start off with a Volquartsen 20" Tension Barrel/Comp,
    Trigger group not sure yet what to get, and a Boyds Blaster Silhouette
    stock.

Any other goodies I should get?

I did this a few year back,with a 10/22 spending 100's on barrel, claws ,buffers, trigger etc,etc, it looked the dogs goolies ,only to find it was not as good as reliable or accurate as a cz 511 subsonic..[:0]
    cz_511_22.jpg
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr.Dr.Jew hit a good point, If you go with a .22 mag base reciever you can barrel it in .17HMR.

Jard makes set weight drop single stage trigger packs for the 10/22, with 1.5 and 2.5 pound trigger weights.

Volquartsen makes drop in match trigger packs for the 10/22mag

You should also look at power customs line of parts.
  • dbain99dbain99 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heres the run down.
    Ruger reciever
    Bolt reworked by Randy at CPC
    VQ trigger group
    TufferBuffer
    Bell&Carlson Anschutz Thumbhole
    Clark 20" Heavy Fluted
    Leoupold base and rings
    Nikon Buckmasters 4.5X14X40
    Harris bipod