In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

10-22 I would like to buy one

txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
edited August 2010 in General Discussion
I would like to buy a 10-22, but I don't know anything about them. I would like to have one that is pretty accurate.

Should I get one with a heavy barrel?
Should I do it myself?
Is it that easy?
Or should I get one that has a factory heavy barrel?
Is the regular barrell accurate enough for plinking and squirrel hunting?

Comments

• Options
    proappproapp Member Posts: 3,264
    edited November -1
    yes, kinda...[:D]

(little machine gun shooting at the range tomorrow about 1900, if you're so inclined)
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by txlawdog
    I would like to buy a 10-22, but I don't know anything about them. I would like to have one that is pretty accurate.

Should I get one with a heavy barrel?
    Should I do it myself?
    Is it that easy?
    Or should I get one that has a factory heavy barrel?
    Is the regular barrell accurate enough for plinking and squirrel hunting?

Buy the action, and build. The options are mind boggling! My 10/22 was stripped & gutted before it was even fired.[:D] However I was on a build mission.
  • Options
    Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know if they still have it, but Walmart used to have a 10/22 with a 22" i think barrel in stainless for pretty cheap!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by proapp

(little machine gun shooting at the range tomorrow about 1900, if you're so inclined)

On I-20?? Is Jim coming out?
  • Options
    jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before buying one, talk to me. There are even more options than Ruger for 10/22's anymore.

www.zimmermanarms.com

is just one. i think nodak spud has some too.

Figure out what you want to do with it, then we can go from there.
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Not especially accurate out of the box.

However, there's a lot you can do with one.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i think the factory 10-22t is better than most of the aftermarket stuff,also cheaper in the long run
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got one with a laminated stock thats super accurate.. Mannlicher stock. wow!!!
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by proapp

si,senor. come see my old school maxim suppresor. about 10 or 12 of us so far...

On I-20?? Is Jim coming out?
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    As said the options available for the 10-22 are mind boggling..

But if you want light and accurate, take your action and mate it to a Carbon fiber barrel and a carbon fiber stock.. for a good trigger get a Kidd or Volquartsen trigger unit.. You can also get a custom complete bolt..

You can make your own extended magazine release.

If the carbon fiber barrels are still as good as the ones I have had, there shouldnt be a safe squirrel with 100 yards.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Get U one Tx. U will love it. They mak'em with a hvy./bull bbl. but for regular plinking and squirrel hunting, their great, right out the box.
    Great for teachin the youngins on semis too!
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy one,shoot it for a while to get acquainted,THEN start adding parts if it needs improvememnt.Trigger is 1st,a nice crsip trigger can cure a lot of inaccuracy ills.At least it did for mine.
    THEN throw 400.00 in improvements at it. :)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sorry to hijack, i'll bring my 10-22 that i built sunday if your coming.....
  • Options
    GashaulerGashauler Member Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't get me wrong, I love my 10/22 and it is stock, but if you start adding things on it can get expensive and quick. Course I am just jealous as mine is bone stock and I can't afford to do anything to it right now.
  • Options
    cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger 10/22T is great. I have a 2-7 on mine and it does everything I need.
  • Options
    mauser54mauser54 Member Posts: 3,733
    edited November -1
    You can't go wrong with the Ruger 10/22. Buy a stock 10/22 and build it the way you want. But do a trigger job, then go with a quality heavy barrel, and the choice of stocks that tickle your fancy. The upgrades and aftermarket parts are almost endless. But build it yourself and enjoy doing it. They are easy to work on. I have built at least a dozen 10/22 rifles for myself and for other people. The last one I built for a guy in Pennsylvania. Cost him $700 for the rifle, but that included custom stock, barrel, trigger job, ext. mag release, converted the bolt lock into an auto bolt release, picatiny scope rail, etc... Turned out to be his favorite rifle.[:)]
    Buy one, build it, and you will be glad you did.[:D]
  • Options
    GRIZZLY17GRIZZLY17 Member Posts: 1,676
    edited November -1
    Like Francf I gutted mine before it was ever shot. Still have original barrel/stock in the box.

I bought it at wally world a few years ago for about 225 and put 1200 in to it. It was a k10/22 I think. Its a 10/17 now...[;)]

Its one hell of a tack driver.
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Regular barrel is easier to push into the dirt.

Though the heavy barrel makes the 10/22 a much sturdier target-stand.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I were to do it all over again. I would still build from reciever up.

-Heavy Barrel? It depends on the heavy barrel.
    -Yes it's easy to do it yourself.
    -Yes.
    -Factory heavy barrel? I have no idea if they are good.
    -Each rifle has the potential to be accurate or not.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the replies!! I think I might build one!
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Easiest way to go, buy one, cheapest you can get. Take it home and burn some serious ammo having a lot of fun. Fun is increased with either kids or grandkids. At this point the 10/22 is either accurate enough for you or it isn't. Either way is great. If good enough, no work, no expense. If not accurate enough for you, you can have the fun of modifing it! My 11 yo and I burn a lot of ammo thru our 4 10/22s. One is heavily modified, one untouched, 2 have a pair of add on parts each.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the replies!! I think I might build one!

So I'm kind a wondering how much coin are you gonna drop on your build? Also are you going to go with aluminum reciever or stainless ones?
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    Notice anything here?

The overwhelming theme is to take the basic 10/22 and add a bunch of aftermarket parts...which is just stating the truth.

I like Ruger, they manufacture a LOT of OTB really nice, accurate, reliable guns, the 10/22 just aint one of 'em, Ruger should be ashamed of putting their name on the 10/22 as it sits NIB.

Some of the most widely sold aftermarket parts for the 10/22 are, barrels, stocks and trigger groups...for a good reason.
    Then you have one of my favorite pet peeves about the 10/22, the magazine catch/release. The factory release is accessable to you only if you have little tiny monkey fingers, but then, there is an aftermarket release available too, it's only money.

Once you buy the 10/22, you basically tear it apart, buy some quality aftermarket parts for it so you will have a nice, reliable, accurate .22.
    Of course you can now easily have $700 PLUS in a Ruger 10/22...then you have a nice reliable, accurate, 10/22.

There are a LOT of REALLY nice .22's that will hold their own or outgun an accurized 10/22 you can buy for $700 PLUS...[;)]
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Spend $100-125 on a base carbine at a pawn shop. Ignore any flaws in the barrel (or use 'em to talk 'em down in price). Ignore any finish flaws in receiver.

Buy a 920 barrel from green mountain or midway (adams & bennet). Hog the barrel channel out yourself, bed the action and first few inches of barrel yourself, ditch the barrel band, perhaps cut back the stock to get rid of the barrel band knob, etc.

I did this (and got a KIDD lever style mag release - but you can make one of them too with a long handle spoon or similar), total cost to me was $300 (base gun @ $100, super light weight tac sol barrel at $150, kidd mag release at $35, beer, sand paper, stain) and I now have a 5lb loaded ultra light carbine that can keep CCI blazer in about 1/2" at 50 yards.
  • Options
    dbain99dbain99 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is your budget for this project? I know its only a 10/22 but a build can easily exceed $1,000. After its all done it will be your 10/22 and know one will have another like it.

here is mine and I got plans for the next two.
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282032
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My nephew outshoots everybody at the gun club with their fancy stocks, new barrels, triggers, etc., with a stock 10-22 bought off the table at a gun show.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think that I will find an inexpensive one and shoot it to see how I like it. Then I think I might try to find a good barrel and stock combination. I don't think I want to spend more than about $500.00. I know you get what you pay for, but that is just a little more than I want to spend.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    dbain, that looks pretty cool!

That site is pretty amazing with all the information.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I do know that I want to buy a barrel that is supressed.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I would say buy a basic one and see how it shoots for you. This guy has no problems shooting one of the new stock 10/22's under a penny group at 50 yards, http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351086

As it was said it is not hard to get carried away with these guns. My last cheep build ended up running me over $800 by the time I was done and that did not include the price of a stock since I just modified the original . That does include $100 for glass though.

The stock 10/22 is a reasonably accurate semi auto .22 for a decent price. I know they have doubled in price but the first gun I bought when turned 18 was a 10/22. It cost me $99 on sale in 1993.

Many of the arguments made here can be the same made for the AR. Look how many accessories are out there. Comparing a stock 10/22 to a built gun is like comparing a stock AR to a $3000 custom gun. Neither is bad, they are just different.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid
    I would say buy a basic one and see how it shoots for you. This guy has no problems shooting one of the new stock 10/22's under a penny group at 50 yards, http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351086

As it was said it is not hard to get carried away with these guns. My last cheep build ended up running me over $800 by the time I was done and that did not include the price of a stock since I just modified the original . That does include $100 for glass though.

The stock 10/22 is a reasonably accurate semi auto .22 for a decent price. I know they have doubled in price but the first gun I bought when turned 18 was a 10/22. It cost me $99 on sale in 1993.

Many of the arguments made here can be the same made for the AR. Look how many accessories are out there. Comparing a stock 10/22 to a built gun is like comparing a stock AR to a $3000 custom gun. Neither is bad, they are just different.

I was just looking at that thread, I do think that is the way I will go then add later if I need to.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Well an integral barrel is $500-$700 alone depending on who builds it. Then you have you $200 transfer tax too. Then that silencer is only good for that ONE gun. So $700+ for a silencer that is only good for one gun is the reason I dont own one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here is my "cheep" build [B)]

DSC_0004-3.jpg

Here are some of my others,

DSC06874.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid

Well an integral barrel is $500-$700 alone depending on who builds it. Then you have you $200 transfer tax too. Then that silencer is only good for that ONE gun. So $700+ for a silencer that is only good for one gun is the reason I dont own one.

I'm sorry, I meant to say that I wanted to get a threaded barrel, I agree with your logic.
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just go ahead and buy a Winchester 52 if you want accuracy.
    If you want accuracy on a budget, Savage Mk 2 BV, for the price of a stock 10-22.
    Just for fun the 10-22.
    Or p-away lots of dollars jazzing the Ruger, get the accuracy of a Savage maybe, knowing that the Winchester will not lose value and the Savage is fine as-is.
    The only thing I did for my 10-22 was buy a deluxe walnut stock somebody took off a new one, probably to put some plastic bling on theirs. I like Walnut better myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For starters just get yourself a shooter and try to wear it out. Then you will see a direction you want to build in. No use in builging a heavy barreled precision rig if you are going to hike and shoot off hand or vise versa.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rimfire Centeral is THE place for 10/22 building tips and info/insperation.

You very well may be a Superstock guy if tinkering is your thing.