In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dogs

RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
edited October 2007 in General Discussion
There has been several threads of late relative to dogs, some of putting down a friend, some on getting another dog plus other items on dogs. Obviously there is strong emotions and attachments (for the dogs also) to them

This is a long thread of three different stories/items I have saved. Sorry I didn't save the source, some or possibly all have been previously posted on GB, if someone is the original poster I'm not trying to step on your toes and have no intention of pissing you off. I was taken by each one and simply saved them, my thought at this time is it has been several months since posted and to share them with whomever cares to read or reread one or two or all of them or none of them

Subject: [SCDRAlumni] I Rescued A Human Today (A dog's perspective)

I rescued a human today.
Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor peering apprehensively into the kennels.
I felt her need instantly and knew I had to help her.
I wagged my tail, not too exuberantly, so she wouldn't be afraid.
As she stopped at my kennel I blocked her view from a little accident I had in the back of my cage.
I didn't want her to know that I hadn't been walked today.
Sometimes the shelter keepers get too busy and I didn't want her to think poorly of them.
As she read my kennel card I hoped that she wouldn't feel sad about my past.
I only have the future to look forward to and want to make a difference in someone's life.
She got down on her knees and made little kissy sounds at me.
I shoved my shoulder and side of my head up against the bars to comfort her.
Gentle fingertips caressed my neck; she was desperate for companionship.
A tear fell down her cheek and I raised my paw to assure her that all would be well.
Soon my kennel door opened and her smile was so bright that I instan tly jumped into her arms.
I would promise to keep her safe.
I would promise to always be by her side.
I would promise to do everything I could to see that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes.
I was so fortunate that she came down my corridor.
So many more are out there who haven't walked the corridors.
So many more to be saved.
At least I could save one.

I rescued a human today.

Subject: [SCDRAlumni] From Your Dog

A man in Grand Rapids, Michigan incredibly took out a $7000 full page ad in the paper to present the following essay to the people of his community.

HOW COULD YOU? - By Jim Willis, 2001

When I was a puppy, I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child, and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. Whenever I was "bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?" -- but then you'd relent and roll me over for a belly rub.
My housebreaking took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed and listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect. We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs" you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love. She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" - - still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy.

Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a "prisoner of love." As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears, and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them and their touch -- because your touch was now so infrequent -- and I would've defended them with my life if need be. I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams, and together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway.

There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being "your dog" to "just a dog ," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf.

Now, you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family

I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog, even one with "papers." You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him, and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life. You gave me a good-bye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too. After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked, "How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you that you had changed your mind -- that this was all a bad dream... or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me.

When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited. I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day, and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room. She placed me on the table and rubbed my ears, and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days.

As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her, and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood. She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured, "How could you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dog speak, she said, "I'm so sorry." She hugged me, and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself -- a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place. And with my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not directed at her. It was directed at you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of you. I will think of you and wait for you forever. May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.

A Note from the Author: If "How Could You?" brought tears to your eyes as you read it, as it did to mine as I wrote it, it is because it is the composite story of the millions of formerly "owned" pets who die each year in American & Canadian animal shelters. Please use this to help educate, on your websites, in newsletters, on animal shelter and vet office bulletin boards. Tell the public that the decision to add a pet to the family is an important one for life, that animals deserve our love and sensible care, that finding another appropriate home for your animal is your responsibility and any local humane society or animal welfare league can offer you good advice, and that all life is precious. Please do your part to stop the killing, and encourage all spay & neuter campaigns in order to prevent unwanted animals.

Please pass this on to everyone, not to hurt them or make them sad, but it could save maybe, even one, unwanted pet.. Remember...They love UNCONDITIONALLY.

Now that the tears are rolling down your face, pass it on! Send to everyone in your address book and around the world! This IS the reality of dogs given up to shelters!

a letter from a shelter manager
Date: 2008-12-16, 9:27PM CST

A Letter from a Shelter Manager

I think our society needs a huge "Wake-up" call. As a shelter manager, I am going to share a little insight with you all...a view from the inside if you will.

First off, all of you breeders/sellers should be made to work in the "back" of an animal shelter for just one day. Maybe if you saw the life drain from a few sad, lost, confused eyes, you would change your mind about breeding and selling to people you don't even know.

That puppy you just sold will most likely end up in my shelter when it's not a cute little puppy anymore. So how would you feel if you knew that there's about a 90% chance that dog will never walk out of the shelter it is going to be dumped at? Purebred or not! About 50% of all of the dogs that are "owner surrenders" or "strays", that come into my shelter are purebred dogs.

The most common excuses I hear are; "We are moving and we can't take our dog (or cat)." Really? Where are you moving too that doesn't allow pets? Or they say "The dog got bigger than we thought it would". How big did you think a German Shepherd would get? "We don't have time for her". Really? I work a 10-12 hour day and still have time for my 6 dogs! "She's tearing up our yard". How about making her a part of your family? They always tell me "We just don't want to have to stress about finding a place for her we know she'll get adopted, she's a good dog".

Odds are your pet won't get adopted & how stressful do you think being in a shelter is? Well, let me tell you, your pet has 72 hours to find a new family from the moment you drop it off. Sometimes a little longer if the shelter isn't full and your dog manages to stay completely healthy. If it sniffles, it dies. Your pet will be confined to a small run/kennel in a room with about 25 other barking or crying animals. It will have to relieve itself where it eats and sleeps. It will be depressed and it will cry constantly for the family that abandoned it. If your pet is lucky, I will have enough volunteers in that day to take him/her for a walk. If I don't, your pet won't get any attention besides having a bowl of food slid under the kennel door and the waste sprayed out of its pen with a high-powered hose. If your dog is big, black or any of the "Bully" breeds (pit bull, rottie, mastiff, etc) it was pretty much dead when you walked it through the front door.

Those dogs just don't get adopted. It doesn't matter how 'sweet' or 'well behaved' they are.

If your dog doesn't get adopted within its 72 hours and the shelter is full, it will be destroyed. If the shelter isn't full and your dog is good enough, and of a desirable enough breed it may get a stay of execution, but not for long . Most dogs get very kennel protective after about a week and are destroyed for showing aggression. Even the sweetest dogs will turn in this environment. If your pet makes it over all of those hurdles chances are it will get kennel cough or an upper respiratory infection and will be destroyed because shelters just don't have the funds to pay for even a $100 treatment.

Here's a little euthanasia 101 for those of you that have never witnessed a perfectly healthy, scared animal being "put-down".

First, your pet will be taken from its kennel on a leash. They always look like they think they are going for a walk happy, wagging their tails. Until they get to "The Room", every one of them freaks out and puts on the brakes when we get to the door. It must smell like death or they can feel the sad souls that are left in there, it's strange, but it happens with every one of them. Your dog or cat will be restrained, held down by 1 or 2 vet techs depending on the size and how freaked out they are. Then a euthanasia tech or a vet will start the process. They will find a vein in the front leg and inject a lethal dose of the "pink stuff". Hopefully your pet doesn't panic from being restrained and jerk. I've seen the needles tear out of a leg and been covered with the resulting blood and been deafened by the yelps and screams. They all don't just "go to sleep", sometimes they spasm for a while, gasp for air and defecate on themselves.

When it all ends, your pets corpse will be stacked like firewood in a large freezer in the back with all of the other animals that were killed waiting to be picked up like garbage. What happens next? Cremated? Taken to the dump? Rendered into pet food? You'll never know and it probably won't even cross your mind. It was just an animal and you can always buy another one, right?

I hope that those of you that have read this are bawling your eyes out and can't get the pictures out of your head I deal with everyday on the way home from work.

I hate my job, I hate that it exists & I hate that it will always be there unless you people make some changes and realize that the lives you are affecting go much farther than the pets you dump at a shelter.

Between 9 and 11 MILLION animals die every year in shelters and only you can stop it. I do my best to save every life I can but rescues are always full, and there are more animals coming in everyday than there are homes.

My point to all of this DON'T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!

Hate me if you want to. The truth hurts and reality is what it is. I just hope I maybe changed one persons mind about breeding their dog, taking their loving pet to a shelter, or buying a dog. I hope that someone will walk into my shelter and say "I saw this and it made me want to adopt". THAT WOULD MAKE IT WORTH IT

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just got back from a Bike ride. Like to check out the dogs people have in their cars when they travel.

Well today I saw two types ones that were happy to see me and you could almost see a smile on their faces.

Then there were those who I could swear said F U. My owners will not even crack the window so I get a breeze.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Swampgut, what breed is the brown dog?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the complements on my 2 Goldens; Molly and Dusty.

Unfortunately Dusty who is 9 has bone cancer in his front leg. He has a few more months to live and I am heart broken. These are my #6 and 7 Golden Retrievers I have had and they are the best 2 I have had the please to be around.

I did not have Dusty's leg chopped off and then treated with Chemo. I did that with another dog that had Lymphatic Cancer and her prognosis was much better than his. I wanted him to have a good quality of life and when its time I will have him put down. It will be one of the hardest things I can do and I have doe it a bunch of times.

So for those out there that like to see goldens here are some pics of these two knuckleheads i have.

Enjoy

Here is The Duster at a Lake on Ft Bragg
    232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv764%3C%3Dot%3E377%3C%3D%3A68%3D425%3DXROQDF%3E285%3A86%3B%3B65259ot1lsi

Here he is out back in the snow when I lived in Fayettenam.
    232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv544%3B%3Dot%3E377%3C%3D%3A68%3D425%3DXROQDF%3E285%3A86%3A72%3B259ot1lsi
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Got this as an E Mail today, it's a little on the kid side. There are a few dog lovers on this forum and thought they might like it or show it to the kids. I thought it was pretty good

this is beautiful...short and simple.. be sure to turn up your sound
    Click here: YouTube - GoD And DoG by WJ Francisco
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The other post made me think of my Dogs. I have had 7 Golden retrievers since 1994 when I got my 1st one.
    Here are my 2 Golden's I have now,

In my 1974 Dodge Powerwagon, they love going for a drive with Dad
    DSC_6190e_1.jpg?t=1486926456

They are retriever and they love to chase sticks and balls. I take the male(light) hunting and he does OK. The Red one is gunshy
    DSC_6334e.jpg?t=1486926464

If you come to my door this is what will greet you. You are going to get some slobber and a lot of hair on you.
    DSC_6419e.jpg?t=1486926464
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Starting with the first dog

what are some names
    or stories of bravery etc?

Be Bo,Tammy Sue,Major,Duke,Refugee "Ref",Coalie,Rottley,Gretta,
    Taz,Prissilla,Daytona,Sandy to name a few.

Rottley saved my six when a perp was sneaking up to rob me,
    funny thing was he was more afraid of the dog than the Dan Wesson 44 mag and hollow points.

Be Bo lived into her mid 20's
    Rottley and Gretta were poisioned

Sandy and Prissilla are getting old[:(]
    and Daytona will be needing a new bud
    Priss sniffed out the wife's breast cancer
    as a young dog

Daughter wants another Rott
    I think after deer season
    we will look for one.

Why can't our buddies live a little longer?
    just makes me sad how many have passed
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Out on a Soil and water district research farm a couple of days and found two dogs shot. I guess you shouldn't let your dogs wonder around in these parts.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Copied, but worth sharing!!!!

Words of wisdom.....

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go
    where they went." - Will Rogers

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare,
    and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all.
    It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies,
    quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love
    and always have to mix love and hate." - Sigmund Freud

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags
    his tail instead of his tongue." - Anonymous

"Dogs need to sniff the ground; it's how they keep abreast
    of current events. The ground is a giant dog newspaper,
    containing all kinds of late-breaking dog news items,
    which, if they are especially urgent, are often continued
    in the next yard." - Dave Barry

"Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like
    never washed a dog." - Franklin P. Jones

"If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough exercise." - Unknown

"I wonder what goes through his mind when he sees us
    peeing in his water bowl." - Penny Ward Moser

"A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around
    three times before lying down." - Robert Benchley

"No animal should ever jump up on the dining-room furniture
    unless absolutely certain that he can hold his own in the
    conversation."
    - Fran Lebowitz

"I wonder if other dogs think poodles are member
    of a weird religious cult." - Rita Rudner

"My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00
    a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money." - Joe Weinstein

"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence
    that you are wonderful." - Ann Landers

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
    - Ben Williams

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more
    than he loves himself." - Josh Billings

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
    - Andrew A. Rooney

"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend;
    inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

"Ever consider what they must think of us? I mean,
    here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul --
    chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters
    on earth!" -Anne Tyler

"If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs
    I have known will go to heaven and very, very few persons.
    - James Thurber

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs
    should relax and get used to the idea." - Robert A. Heinlein

HOW MANY DOGS DOES IT TAKE TO CHANGE A LIGHT BULB?
    Golden Retriever: The sun is shining, the day is young, we've got our whole lives ahead of
    us, and you're inside worrying about a stupid burned out bulb?

Border Collie: Just one. And then I'll replace any wiring that's not up to code.

Dachshund: You know I can't reach that damned stupid lamp!

Rottweiler: Make me!!!

Lab: Oh, me, me!!!! Pleeeeeeze let me change the light bulb! Can I? Can I? Huh? Huh?
    Huh? Can I?

Malamute: Let the Border Collie do it. You can feed me while he's busy.

Jack Russell Terrier: I'll just pop it in while I'm bouncing off the walls and furniture.

Poodle: I'll just blow in the Border Collie's ear and he'll do it.
    By the time he finishes rewiring the house, my nails will be dry.

Cocker Spaniel: Why change it? I can still pee on the carpet in the dark.

Doberman Pinscher: While it's dark, I'm going to sleep on the couch.

Boxer: Who cares? I can still play with my squeaky toys in the dark......

Mastiff: Mastiffs are NOT afraid of the dark.

Chihuahua: Yo quiero Taco Bulb.

Pointer: I see it, there it is, there it is, right there....

Greyhound: It isn't moving. Who cares?

Australian Shepherd: First, I'll put all the light bulbs in a little circle....

Old English Sheep Dog: Light bulb? I'm sorry, but I don't see a light bulb?

Hound Dog: Z Z Z Z Z Z z z z z z z z z z

Cat: Dogs do not change light bulbs. People change light bulbs.
    So the question is how long will it be before I can expect light? (for
    your-Syl)

Edited by - gskyhawk on 04/29/2002 22:29:29
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That is I think I want another one. Duchess came up missing (ala aligator) and Duke was helped on his way in his old age.[:(] So I've been thinking about another one. Not just any dog but a Dachshund or some type of Dachshund mix. Duchess was a Dachshund Pekinese mix.

'Been checking out the local Animal shelters and Animal Rescue places and have seen several young Dachsies, I just have not had the time to make the trip to New Port Richy or Bushnell to see about 'adopting' one of them.[?]

Anybody got a Dachsie they want to part with????[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The only problem I have with it is "one size fits all" solutions rarely work out for the best. I can see putting a time limit on lining your dog in front of a store, people are selfish. Or some dog tied in the front yard for days howling for some attention and companionship.

I had a dog that was borderline man eater. He had a forty foot wire with a coiled steel line hooked to it on a roller. In effect 1200 square feet to romp in. He'd go through a chain link fence in no time, if left untethered. If he got out he wasn't really a threat, most of his aggression was territorial, But there was always the chance for catastrophe. I let him off the line when I was out and about and could keep an eye on him. When I walked to the store he was tied outside, with a muzzle on, never longer than half an hour. Worked for the twelve years he lived. He also preferred to be outside, he'd come in the house to visit and then stand by the door until he was let out again, winter or summer.

What I'm saying is, one size fits all, doesn't.

The alternative was to have him destroyed, doubtful he would ever socialize with a new owner. He was a washout at an international airport nearby, he was supposed to be a dope dog and washed out for aggression. He was scheduled to be destroyed when I took him for retraining.

My hunters stay in the car when I'm in a high seat, sometimes all night. They are used to it and it doesn't seem to bother them a bit. The run they get at the end of hunt makes up for the time spent penned up. They are happy well adjusted dogs, not the least bit neurotic. Neurotic dogs are usually the ones people try to turn into people, instead of letting them be dogs.

People tend to forget the natural order of things and try to make dogs people. Wild dogs go on the hunt for a few hours twice a day, then lounge around most of the day. They might snack on stuff when they are out, maybe a couple of mice or some veggies, but typically make a kill and pig out and may not really go hunting again for 2-3 days. Their natural rhythm is a few hours of activity, then lounge, then a few hours of activity then lounge, then pig out and maybe lounge for a couple of days. We've selectively bred. different traits or tendencies into certain breeds of dogs, some are mellower, some busier, but the base model is still relatively the same, unless they are trained to eat at meal times and sleep at night. My dogs can see at least 4-5 times as far in the dark as I can, that isn't an accident. We turn them into daylight active, they tend to hunt dawn and dusk naturally. Which works out most ways, they are active when we are home, in a brood sort of way.

There is a town in So. Cal, Called Calabasas, they have an ordinance against smoking cigarettes on the street. If somebody forgets where they are at and lights up, chances are the Cops will get half a dozen 911 calls. Sometimes people just get ate up with the dumb act, no matter how good their intentions.

Something else people forget, their have been domestic dogs just about as long as there has been homo sapiens, no kidding (around 200,000 years +/-). There is even evidence Neanderthal Man kept domesticated dogs (650,00 years +/-). Seems after that much time dogs are a part of human evolution and there is likely to be some sort of symbiotic relationship, at least with some humans. The ones who don't have the predisposition to be dog people, are unlikely to be sympathetic and make allowances. They are likely to get rules passed that inhibit people who do have the urge, it is called lack of empathy and is one step away from sociopathic behavior IMO.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Subject: dogs DOGS
    1. Dogs are never permitted in the house. The dog stays outside in a specially built wooden compartment named, for very good reason, the dog house.
    2. Okay, the dog can enter the house, but only for short visits or if his own house is under renovation.
    3. Okay, the dog can stay in the house on a permanent basis, provided his dog house can be sold in a yard sale to a rookie dog owner.
    4. Inside the house, the dog is not allowed to run free and is confined to a comfortable but secure metal cage.
    5. Okay, the cage becomes part of a two-for-one deal along with the dog house in the yard sale, and the dog can go wherever the hell he pleases.
    6. The dog is never allowed on the furniture.
    7. Okay, the dog can get on the old furniture but not the new furniture.
    8. Okay, the dog can get up on the new furniture until it looks like the old furniture and then we'll sell the whole damn works and buy new furniture...upon which the dog will most definitely not be allowed.
    9. The dog never sleeps on the bed. Period.
    10. Okay, the dog can sleep at the foot of the bed.
    11. Okay, the dog can sleep alongside you, but he's not allowed under the covers.
    12. Okay, the dog can sleep under the covers but not with his head on the pillow.
    13. Okay, the dog can sleep alongside you under the covers with his head on the pillow, but if he snores he's got to leave the room.
    14. Okay, the dog can sleep and snore and have nightmares in bed, but he's not to come in and sleep on the couch in the TV room, where I'm now sleeping.
    That's just not fair.
    15. The dog never gets listed on the census questionnaire as "primary resident," even if it's true.
    "The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue."
    * Anonymous "Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
    * Ann Landers "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    * Will Rogers "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
    * Ben Williams "A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself."
    * Josh Billings "The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
    * Andrew A. Rooney "We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
    And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made."
    * M.Facklam "Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate."
    * Sigmund Freud "If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few persons."
    * James Thurber "A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down."
    * Robert Benchley "I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult."
    * Rita Rudner "Dogs need to sniff the ground; it's how they keep abreast of current events. The ground is a giant dog newspaper, containing all kinds of late-breaking dog news items, which, if they are especially urgent, are often continued in the next yard."
    * Dave Barry "Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog."
    * Franklin P. Jones "My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can.
    That's almost $21.00 in dog money."
    * Joe Weinstein "Ever consider what they must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul-chicken, pork, half a cow.
    They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!"
    * Anne Tyler "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
    * Robert A. Heinlein

pacamo

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I find it funny that in all the things we list on here that a person should/coould have on hand to get through a long term upheaval of society no one ever mentions a good hunting dog. A dog that will trail, tree and let you know when strangers are around would be quite valuable.