In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need some help with squash

Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
My garden is over producing. (See Link) and I need help on preserving summer squash, other then freezing. Can you good folks take a look and help a brother out?

http://s1.zetaboards.com/survivalism/topic/1715112/1

Comments

• burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    dang it I was hoping squash was short for sasquash [;)][:D][:D]

b
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    You can always can the stuff like ya do tomatoes, okra , and greenbeans..
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    You can always can the stuff like ya do tomatoes, okra , and greenbeans..

I was informed by multiple sources that it does not can at all.

I am thinking about slicing it, blanching it, freezing it on a cookie sheet and vacuuming packing it.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Pickle it like eggplant, etc.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    Squash has little food value, used mostly as a filler or flavor, you can pickle the blossoms or fry them.

No one I know of has ever tried to do any preservation, just not worth the labor input.

Looks like a good bit of nutrition to me. And yes, it is worth preserving.

Sugars: 2.49 g

Total Fat: 0.20 g

Saturated Fat: 0.050 g

Monounsaturated Fat: 0.018 g

Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.101 g

Cholesterol: 0 mg

Micronutrients:
    Calcium: 17 mg

Iron: 0.40 mg

Magnesium: 19 mg

Phosphorus: 43 mg

Potassium: 296 mg

Sodium: 2 mg

Zinc: 0.33 mg

Vitamin C: 19.2 mg

Thiamin: 0.054 mg

Riboflavin: 0.160 mg

Niacin: 0.550 mg

Pantothenic Acid: 0.175 mg

Vitamin B6: 0.246 mg

Vitamin B12: 0 mcg

Folate: 33 mcg

Vitamin A: 226 IU

Vitamin E: 0.14 mg

Vitamin K: 3.4 mcg

Phytonutrients:
    beta Carotene: 136 mcg

beta Cryptoxanthin: 0 mcg

Lycopene: 0 mcg

Lutein and Zeaxanthin: 2401 mcg
    edited November -1
    Your sources of information are wrong.. Google Canning Squash.. Here is one such recipe..

Canning Summer Squash Recipe

For crookneck, zucchini and pattypan squash. Wash and trim ends, don't peel. Cut into uniform 1/2-inch thick slices. To pack hot put into a pan, add water to just cover, and bring to boiling. Pack hot into jars, filling loosely up to jar shoulders. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to pints, 1 teaspoon to quarts. Cover squash with boiling cooking liquid, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Wipe rim and seal quickly. Processing time in a pressure canner for pints 25 minutes at 10 pounds pressure, 30 minutes for quarts
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    freeze it whole in ziplock bags of water, or standing in 1/2gal paper milk cartons. remove from carton and wrap.

This is how we do corn, fish filets, peppers, etc. They are useable all winter.
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    Squash is one of the foods that I hate SO much that getting a good whiff will make me gag. My southern relatives (AL) can't believe that I don't like it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slipgate
    Squash is one of the foods that I hate SO much that getting a good whiff will make me gag. My southern relatives (AL) can't believe that I don't like it.

Sounds like you need a stay in the Michelle Obama re-education camp.
  • FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is impossible to plant just the right amount of summer squash. You can have either too much or none.

We always go with the first option and don't bother preserving the excess, because other vegetables taste better and offer more nutrition. We give it away. We use it for plinking targets. We compost it.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    the mrs freezes zuchini. squash should be the same.
    she shreds it in a food processor and vacuum bags it.
    works well as side dish, in stir fries etc.
    Oh, and she makes a mean zuchini bread with it!
    tom
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    My wife grates or cubes it and dehydrates.

It then needs to be kept dry (ziplocks).

She has kept it over 2 years with no change.

It is good in soups, broth, or re-constitutes
    (now there's a word to think about) it and puts in casseroles, muffins.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shootertutor
    My wife grates or cubes it and dehydrates.

It then needs to be kept dry (ziplocks).

She has kept it over 2 years with no change.

It is good in soups, broth, or re-constitutes
    (now there's a word to think about) it and puts in casseroles, muffins.

When dehydrating, don't you have to dip it in some solution, so it doesn't brown?

After rehydration, can you fry it like fresh squash? Or is it not suitable to use it that way?
    edited November -1
    The texture will be different- would be tougher.
    If you approach it more like a "store up for what may come" situation, then it could very well be a much appreciated part of your diet.

Also, it would no longer be called "Squish".
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shootertutor
    The texture will be different- would be tougher.
    If you approach it more like a "store up for what may come" situation, then it could very well be a much appreciated part of your diet.

Also, it would no longer be called "Squish".

I have decided on two options for the squish. I will slice it into rounds, blanche it, freeze it on a cookie sheet, then vacuum pack it and freeze it that way.

I will slice it into rounds, blanche it and dry it. I will keep you folks updated on the outcome.
  • moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    quote:Squash is one of the foods that I hate SO much that getting a good whiff will make me gag. My southern relatives (AL) can't believe that I don't like it.

I'm the same way about GRITS.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by moonshine
    quote:Squash is one of the foods that I hate SO much that getting a good whiff will make me gag. My southern relatives (AL) can't believe that I don't like it.

I'm the same way about GRITS.

Put enough butter and sugar on them and they are ok.
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We freeze it. Everyone at my house loves squash. Cooked up with some onions and seasoned right, it's good. Try some cooked with corn. Lots of pepper, cook it really done. Try slicing some lengthwise, about 1/4 in. thick, fresh from the garden, little oil or Italian dressing, throw it on your grill and you will be surprised how good it is with your hamburgers/chicken/ steak.
  • dipitsdipits Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wife makes pickels & relish every year.
    edited November -1
    squash-ka-bobs
    squash-on-the-half-shell
    squash creole
    squash ..........
  • MarnerMarner Member Posts: 2,977
    edited November -1
    shhhssh...I thought you meant the game of...
  • dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Common problem, my wife tells stories of when she lived in Vermont that in the summer if you did not lock your car doors people would leave bags of Zuchini in your car.

We have been eating yellow squash about every day for a month now. We live in Louisana now. The Zuchini are just coming in now and the yellow squash are tapering off. Looking forward to eggplant and Tomatos so we can do ratatouilli. Summer squash and peppers go in the ratatouilli too. Store bought onions and garlic along with processed hot peppers from last year go into everything.

I said we have been eating yellow squash about every day don't be confused, we love them sauted with onions, peppers, garlic and green tomatos. We don't have more than we can use. I pick them small, I like them with less seeds. You can do the same, with all those similar corps pick them small and they taste better. Cukes, summer squash, corn, pea, beans. If you are in greater need, yes let them grow bigger.

For me the best way to preseve zuchini or yellow squash is to either can or freeze them in tomato sause or stewed tomatos. I love them like that.

I have yellow, red and orange bell peppers and other sweet and hot peppers just waiting to ripen. The Jambalya is just around the corner, um, um.

Need some deer sausage, a few pounds of rice, the peppers, tomatos, onions and garlic.

I love summer food fresh from the garden.