In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Waterfall Trip PIC HEAVY

mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in General Discussion
We had a great trip,

Day 1 we left at 4:30 am and saw Slick Rock falls first in Brevard NC,

Super easy to get to, not overly impressive but it was on the list.

DSCN0078.jpg

Notice the little cave to the right side :) also easy to scramble up to.

DSCN0088.jpg

then it was on to Skinny Dip falls, in Canton NC, you actually park at the Looking Glass rock overlook on the BRP

DSCN0094.jpg

and follow an easy trail in (we did not partake in the namesake a little cold), Wife found a Dragon tree :)

DSCN0102.jpg

Bottom side of falls

DSCN0104.jpg

Top side

DSCN0126.jpg

Their are several nice pools and smaller falls down the creek and some primitive camping spots also.

Next we rode out to Maggie Valley and Cherokee and saw Soco falls.
The falls is right off the road on Rt.19 I think, a nice viewing deck for the less agile and of course I had to use the rope to go further down and get a better view.

DSCN0126.jpg If you look close you can see the rope to the left of this pic.

Finally we hit Mingo Falls and this was a really nice falls, the only draw back was about 150 stairs leading up :)

DSCN0135.jpg

I noticed broken glass in the parking area so from then on we decided best not to leave any valuables in the car. Too bad we have never personally had a problem with theft at any of these areas.

The recent rain really helped make all the falls worth seeing too.

We ate dinner right next door to the Cottage, A German place with excellent Snitzel and even better beer since I didn't have to drive.

Next day we headed out to Toms Creek Falls, this is a really easy 1/2 mile "hike" in on a very flat gravel trail. It has a old Mica mine on site also. I think this and Roaring Fork were my Favorite.

DSCN0144.jpg

The plan was to go on to Setrock Creek and Roaring Fork from here but we stopped in Little Switzerland and inquired on some real estate and got side tracked by a local who recommended "Grassy Creek Falls" just under the BRP and about a mile hike in. Blah, really steep slide down a hill to get a good look at a so so falls.

Wasted a lot of time so we headed back to our cabin. We did have a GREAT meal at the Glass Onion in Weaverville, who would ever think such great food at such a great price! I highly recommend them.

Since we got side tracked I added Douglas Falls to Sunday, first stop was out near the Black Mountain Golf course (looked really nice) at Roaring Fork Falls.

We took a wrong turn here and went up a private drive, we had to move a tree out of the way that had fallen the night before. I could really have used a chain saw but the wife and I struggled through sliding it enough to get by the road had some of the most wicked hairpins and I won't venture to guess at the vertical angle but it was damn scary!

All to be going the wrong way, we decided it was our task given by the Maker as payment for the great views to clear a way for perhaps some old folks to get to church.

Once we got turned around, (backed out a few hundred yards, hurray camera) and found the right spot we had the place to ourselves.

DSCN0147.jpg

Also got to hand it to the little guy. I really worried he would be a problem. That little legged sucker did the stairs, the rocks, the hikes and the waterfalls like a champ. He even scurried up and down the wet rocks like a billy goat.

DSCN0150.jpg

(I was referring to the Dog not the old ugly guy)

Wifey likes this one too

DSCN0154.jpg

Setrock Falls was really easy to, it is a side chute off the trail to hike to Mount Mitchell. Right out of the Black Mountain Camp ground.
20170528_111132.jpg

Nice falls and if you go to Roaring Fork you may as well see Setrock.

Here is Douglas Falls, it is an EIGHT MILE drive up and down a twisty gravel/dirt pot holed one lane road. I thought something was wrong with my GPS map telling us it was only eight miles and yet thirty minutes away but it was right.
It took us at least thirty minutes to drive 8 miles! Falls was OK but really after that drive and 1/2 mile muddy hike in, Meh.

DSCN0157.jpg

DSCN0160.jpg

DSCN0161.jpg

The other great thing on this old eight mile road was about 8 other smaller falls right off the road, if you dare :)

Everything else was closed by the time we got to civilization, but we managed to find the Twisted Laurel in Weaverville and once again the food was fantastic especially for the low prices. I know we were hungry but everywhere we ate was grrreat.

Lastly I asked the wife and sure enough we didn't see any "Gangstas" the entire trip. Nice people, great Sights and Food.

Stay the heck out of the area we want it to stay nice!
Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice!

Looks like ya'll had a fun trip.

The picture of the bent tree is cool. The Indians used those trees for markers(I was told this years ago by an old guy in North GA)
    RLTW

• Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice! Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very NICE!

We love the Appalachians! And take to the BRP as often as is possible.

You've now set in motion, yet another, BRP trip! [;)]
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes, thanks for sharing
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,999 ******
    edited November -1
    Those are great. Thanks. [^][^][^][^]
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking you slept really well that night. Great pics and interesting adventure.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear you had a good time, great photography by the way
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neat photos. Thanks for posting[;)]
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW..u r not in Kansas anymore ??? thanx
  • Options
    204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    I love water falls. If your ever in the area. And have not been there already. I recommend Cumberland falls just outside corbin Kentucky. Really nice falls. And lots of walking trails. Short and long. Also has a smaller falls called eagle falls. But have to walk a bit to get to it, and has a lot of steps.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great pics. You are visiting my neighborhood, I live 30 miles nw of Asheville.
    And I haven't visited a single one of those waterfalls. That is pretty bad, I have got to get out and see some of these natural treasures.

I am right down the road from Weaverville. Great little town.
    You say, the Glass Onion in Weaverville? What kind of food do they have?
    The Twisted Laurel? What kind of food do they have?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [^]

You need T-shirts, "The Waterfall Tour
    2017"

Could not get 2017 right under Waterfall Tour, but you get the idea.
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad to see others enjoying the outdoors as well![:D]
  • Options
    badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great photos!
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Allen all three were excellent restaurants if you are close by you should try them.

The Glass Onion is right on main street across from the parking area, calls itself Global Italian.
    For lunch I had the best chicken sandwich I ever ate.
    At Dinner I had Diver Scallops over squash with a Smoked trout salad. Wife had Swordfish with potatoes and an apple and prosciutto salad. Food is chef prepared and presentation is as good as taste.

Dessert is not usually our thing but we indulged since everything was so good. Wife was making sounds while eating the Pistachio nougat dessert that I remember from the old days :) [:0][:0][:D][:D]

http://glassonionasheville.com/

Twisted Laurel is right on Main too, leans Greek, but has burgers, pizza, and other items too.

I had Biftekia A La Panagiota, (a couple of seasoned hamburgers :) and the wife had the Pastichio. Both very good about 9 bucks each!

https://www.twistedlaurel.com/menus/

The Bavarian place is a really cool a little log cabin on Weaverville road, small but very good service and food.
    Schnitzel was excellent I had the Blauer Engel (Blue Angel) and the wife had one with brown gravy and onions.

We stayed in the Pines cabins right next door so I could drink lots of different beers :) while we chatted with a few different patrons.

http://bavariandining.com/

quote:

Originally posted by allen griggs
    Great pics. You are visiting my neighborhood, I live 30 miles nw of Asheville.
    And I haven't visited a single one of those waterfalls. That is pretty bad, I have got to get out and see some of these natural treasures.

I am right down the road from Weaverville. Great little town.
    You say, the Glass Onion in Weaverville? What kind of food do they have?
    The Twisted Laurel? What kind of food do they have?
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great Pics....Thanks for sharing
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Weaverville Road. We drive up and down that road all the time.
    We went to that Kraut restaurant one day for lunch, got there 10 minutes before they opened so we had to go, I am not patient.

Did you ever see the movie Thunder Road with Robert Mitchum?
    It was filmed on the Weaverville Road.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Allen,

Never saw the movie I am putting on my to do list.

The Kraut place was good, I don't know anything about Schnitzel but I liked it. Beer? How could you not like Beer.

If you get a chance try the three places and let me know what you think. If you have better places post them up so I can try them next time we come up. Probably July 4th weekend or in the fall.

quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    The Weaverville Road. We drive up and down that road all the time.
    We went to that Kraut restaurant one day for lunch, got there 10 minutes before they opened so we had to go, I am not patient.

Did you ever see the movie Thunder Road with Robert Mitchum?
    It was filmed on the Weaverville Road.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There is a pizza joint right there in Weaverville, on the right side as you are headed north. My girlfriend stops there all the time, great pizza she says.

If you like Indian food there is a great Indian restaurant in Asheville, named Mela.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice shots...

More of the skinny dipper would have been cool. Even with the cold water. Shrinkage is understood.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cool Pictures and thanks for sharing