In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

disaster response

chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2018 in General Discussion
My wonderful wife who is an RN, recently spent several weeks sleeping on a cot in the aftermath of Hurricane Florence. She spent her time there serving meals, passing out clothes, helping people get glasses and replacement prescriptions lost in the flooding. Twelve to fourteen long hours a day.

She is now on site at the California Camp Fire location doing the same for people that lost EVERYTHING in the firestorm that destroyed 100 lives and ten thousand homes.

She is one of tens of thousands helping out- all for an organization labeled a "rip-off" in a previous thread about charitable organizations.

I thank the Good Lord that are organizations and people like the volunteers that are there to help out, along with the fire fighters and police that put their lives on the line for us.

Comments

• Options
    chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think for every one bad experience, there are thousands of good, helpful ones.

I don't have the knowledge to debate on the business aspects of most charitable organizations, but I know the underlying justification is a desire to help where it is needed.

We are a country of good people, always willing to lend a hand where it is needed. I never see the richest nations in the mideast offering help when a disaster strikes here.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nochitchet..red cross boss gets about $700K a year, a mercedes to drive, expenses and other benefits....how much does a cup of coffee cost from them ??????
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no doubt there are fantastic people working in all orgs.

Charity Navigator is a web site that shows which orgs do the best with the bucks given...

charitynavigator.com
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,385 ******
    edited November -1
    It is kind of sad really that all of the ones doing all of the work on the front lines have little or nothing to do with those that are running the show at the top.[V]

Kind of reminds me of the Federal Government.[V][:(!]
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrads to all the people that help in our disasters but it seems funny the democraps put illegals in front of Americans and Legal immigrants.
    We spend around 135 billion supporting illegals while that money could be better spent on our Disasters.
    How many Billions will it take to rebuild America so spend that money there not on illegals.