In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Synthetic Automotive Oil for Guns???

rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2010 in General Discussion
In the "Experts" forum there was a discussion about using SAE 10W-40 for guns which brought up a lot of opinions but not much credible info. What about Synthetic? It is formulated to deal with petroleum oil faults. Synthetic has a much higher heat range (meaning from very low temp to very high) than petro oil, also highly protective of oxidation (rust, etc.) and chemical stability at least in an automotive environment. As automotive oils go, I would be inclined to use synthetic rather than petro oil for my guns. It would seem to follow that a synthetic GUN OIL would be better than one of petro base. There ought to be some credible info out there, experience, research, etc. Comments solicited and appreciated.

Comments

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,461 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't quite get this facination with using stuff not designed and made for use on guns. If you want a synthetic for guns, Castrol makes a fine one for Hoppe's. Rem oil is fine, and my favorite is Butch's Bore oil. Leave the automotive stuff in the truck, it is great for that, but you want a light oil for guns, and you do not need long chain polymers.

He Dog
  • gunboobgunboob Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll bring out this bit of info,...and maybe some guys might also remember,...Some years ago, I was reading a friends issue of that thin catalog, "Old time Station",something or other,....that thingie put out by Supica, in Kansas City.
    In it was an informative letter by a reader, describing the merits of synthetics, namely Mobil 1.
    It stated that antique guns and parts thereof could be greatly enhanced by total immersion in the stuff. This meant both case hardening and blueing. I remember it stated that it was not so graet on antique foreign.
    Yes, the scientific explanation was delved into, but, unless I were to find that again,I couldn't begin to remember.
    I do remember that the time of immersion was ....6 MONTHS.
    I did it with a mod 92 win. Took it all down into parts from wood, made a recepticle out of aluminum wrap and slathered it on every day.
    I'll confess, I did see an improvement,...and, a friend or two, who hadn't seen it in months, also agreed.
    My problem was that I got ants-in-the-pantz, and couldn't wait. after 3 months, I just had to put it all back together.
    Surely someone else seen this, perhaps 4 years ago?

Bob
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Half the guys on GlockTalk use Mobil 1 as lube for their Glock pistols. I haven't tried it. I use Amsoil synthetic in all my vehicles so if I was to lube my guns with automotive oil it'd be Amsoil.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for your input. All specialized products tend to be priced too high, prescription drugs for ex. Same for gun oil, $4 for a tiny little bottle. That's how I got on the synthetic auto oil kick. A quart of it for the same price as the one ounce bottle of gun oil. I haven't bought Mobil One yet but probably will.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,461 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Butch's Bore Oil is about $6 or $7 for about 4 oz. That is enough to last me a couple of years, but I am sparing with oil.

He Dog
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I use Rem Oil in my truck, Mobil One on my guns, and WD 40 on my elbow joints.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • kallwilsonkallwilson Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello friends

Automotive oil for guns Most gun oils are just regular machine/motor oils with off-the-shelf additive packs (just like those oils), packaged in tiny quantities with the word "gun" on the bottle and a 500% markup. After trying a bunch of specialty gun oils for years (mostly Rem Oil and Hoppes Elite), I've found something that lubricates better, fights corrosion just as well, doesn't evaporate as easily, and is way cheaper.
    Turns out that Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil (full synthetic, not dinosaur derived) actually has superior properties compared to most gun oils--less volatility, better lubrication and wear resistance, higher shear strength, and better temperature stability.
    All the info below (in gray) is from the user Gun Slinger from the High Road, and is posted here with his permission. He recommends M1 synthetic 20W50 for most uses, but AR's might be happier with 10W30 due to the tight clearances and relatively low-energy bolt carrier. But even 10W30 is way superior to most gun oils. I don't have any 20W50 yet, but I had some extra Mobil 1 10W30 that I had bought for my car, and recently started using it on my civvie AK and my S&W Ladysmith 9mm, using a Q-tip as an applicator to the bearing surfaces. Results have been excellent; the guns work more smoothly, and the oil doesn't dry up/evaporate as quickly as the oils marketed as gun oils.

Thanks to all.......
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kallwilson
    Hello friends

Automotive oil for guns Most gun oils are just regular machine/motor oils with off-the-shelf additive packs (just like those oils), packaged in tiny quantities with the word "gun" on the bottle and a 500% markup. After trying a bunch of specialty gun oils for years (mostly Rem Oil and Hoppes Elite), I've found something that lubricates better, fights corrosion just as well, doesn't evaporate as easily, and is way cheaper.
    Turns out that Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil (full synthetic, not dinosaur derived) actually has superior properties compared to most gun oils--less volatility, better lubrication and wear resistance, higher shear strength, and better temperature stability.
    All the info below (in gray) is from the user Gun Slinger from the High Road, and is posted here with his permission. He recommends M1 synthetic 20W50 for most uses, but AR's might be happier with 10W30 due to the tight clearances and relatively low-energy bolt carrier. But even 10W30 is way superior to most gun oils. I don't have any 20W50 yet, but I had some extra Mobil 1 10W30 that I had bought for my car, and recently started using it on my civvie AK and my S&W Ladysmith 9mm, using a Q-tip as an applicator to the bearing surfaces. Results have been excellent; the guns work more smoothly, and the oil doesn't dry up/evaporate as quickly as the oils marketed as gun oils.

Thanks to all.......

Kall -

Welcome to GunBroker/General Discussion Forum.

Thak you for your informing post.

I've often wondered about that.

And...

Have a Great New Year.

I hope you enjoy it here.

New people are often beaten unmercifully.

Perhaops we are relatef.

Doug (Wilson)
    Colt Super
  • mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Birchwood Casey Synthetic Gun Oil, i swear by that stuff!
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Think about it guys. Motor oil is used for moving metal parts under high temperature conditions. Gun oil is used for moving metal parts under somewhat high temperature conditions. If motor oil changed on a regular basis is good enough for my engine to last 100-200,000 miles under much harsher conditions then why isn't it good enough for my guns? And I change the oil on my guns a lot more often.

Quart of motor oil $2, quart of gun oil $40?
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I agree - but I hadn't thought of it.

Doug
  • ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    Just remember that if you use a synthetic motor oil to lubricate your firearms NEVER switch back to a petroleum based oil. It will cause irreparable damage. [:D][:D] Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no better lubricating oil than motor oil in my opinion. I base that on being responsible for keeping almost 400 expensive machines running for almost forty years. I have used motor oil to lube my guns for many years. I don't use it as a rust preventive though because it's nasty on clothes.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ljwrench
    Just remember that if you use a synthetic motor oil to lubricate your firearms NEVER switch back to a petroleum based oil. It will cause irreparable damage. [:D][:D] Sorry, couldn't resist.

and remember to STAY CALM!!!!!!!!!!
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer
    quote:Originally posted by ljwrench

and remember to STAY CLAM!!!!!!!!!!

[;)][:D]
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    With all of the detergent in the motor oil, you guys will have the cleanest guns around. [:o)]