In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Omnibus Public Land Management Act reply

Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Here's a copy of the reply I received today from and e-mail I sent a while back. Yes I'm embarassed Dick Durbin is my senator.[xx(]

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009. I appreciate hearing from you.

The Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009, which was signed into law in March, combines a number of individual bills designed to protect and preserve federal lands. The law includes provisions to designate certain lands as wilderness areas under the National Wilderness Preservation System and provides statutory authorization for the National Landscape Conservation System.

In 2000, the Bureau of Land Management established the National Landscape Conservation System (NLCS) to conserve, protect, and restore nationally significant landscapes. The Congressional authorization did not change the structure or management of the NLCS nor does it limit public access to NLCS areas or restrict outdoor recreational activities such as hunting and fishing.

The protection of public lands and natural resources will be one of the most important legacies we leave for future generations. At the same time, I understand the concerns that have been expressed regarding recreational access to lands designated as wilderness. When making land use decisions, we must carefully consider environmental concerns as well as the recreational interests of individuals. By classifying lands as wilderness under the National Wilderness Preservation System, we can help safeguard the environment while still allowing access for many recreational activities.

Again, thank you for your message. Please feel free to keep in touch

Sincerely,
Richard J. Durbin
United States Senator