In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

LAPD melts 40,000 pounds of guns!!!!!!!

War Pig ActualWar Pig Actual Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
The city of LA has a 50 million dollar budget shortfall. They could have taken all the usable firearms and sold them on GB to make some cash. If they were able to sell them on GB, I would request that they don't sell to anyone outside of California.

Comments

• cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's why they melted down 40,000 pounds of guns. None of them were legal to sell or buy in Kalifornia because they had dangerous things like bayonet lugs, detachable mags, and a barrel shroud, and you had asked that they not sell them out of state.
  • War Pig ActualWar Pig Actual Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So if it has two bayonet lugs it's illegal in CA? Glad my SKS only has one.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    "See! We're actually doing something to get guns off the street!"

Prime example of "feel good" information. Newspapers eat stuff like that up.

Best, Joe
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    LA LA LA Land! Because of California rules against municipalities or corporations disposing of firearms within California, a lot of them used to truck them to Phoenix. I visited their sales point on a number of occasions, and got some good deals on police-confiscated guns that no longer had evidence value, including a nearly new wartime CZ27 for $60, and a slightly rough 3-switch Radom for $90 that was missing the magazine. I also bought 3 nice S&W M67's from Pacific Gas & Electric for $125 each. This is all revenue that is turned back into the respective operations. The people who run LA simply don't have any intelligence.
    edited November -1
    I dislike just about every aspect of LA, barring the Lakers and Dodgers. It's dirty, overrun with gangs, police are career criminals as well, expensive, horrible traffic, and smells funny. Other than that it's a great place to live.
  • Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    I'd be curious to see exactly what they melted down. A lot of Ravens, High Points, etc. were turned into something more useful more than likely.
  • upjumtddeblupjumtddebl Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Aspen79se
    I'd be curious to see exactly what they melted down. A lot of Ravens, High Points, etc. were turned into something more useful more than likely.
    Nope saw ARs, M-1s, streetsweepers and winchesters on the LA news film totaly screwed
    edited November -1
    I saw a couple of cool looking pieces, and some that looked like C&R pieces. The killer was the AR and the street sweeper....Those fine firearms deserved a more honorable ending like in my safe.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/index.php?cl=13589510
  • fyrfinderfyrfinder Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If LA really wanted to make a bunch of bucks on the weapons they could look for the rightful owners, those that had their guns stolen, and charge a recovery fee. Probably a lot of the owners would have gladly paid to have their weapons returned to them. That's my biggest gripe about the so called "buy back" programs. No questions asked and no search for the rightful owners. Paying someone one or two hundred dollars for a gun that they stole from someone else should be a crime in itself. Didn't that used to be called an assessory to a crime?
  • thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Aspen79se

Don't forget Jennings, you can't have a gun roast without jennings!
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:A lot of Ravens, High Points, etc

Leave them in your car with the windows rolled up on a sunny day. They'll melt. [:p]

Here in VA, any "buyback" program requires the VSP to run an NCIC check on the serial number. If in the system as stolen, MUST be returned to owner.
    edited November -1
    I know LASD checks every weapon at their buy backs, but they say they do that to see if its been used in a crime. Which I don't understand how checking a serial number for that reason would yield any proof of a crime other than it might have been stolen.
  • moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    quote:

I dislike just about every aspect of LA, barringincluding the Lakers and Dodgers. It's dirty, overrun with gangs, police are career criminals as well, expensive, horrible traffic, and smells funny. Other than that it's a great place to live.

there I fixed it for you..
  • ltslts Member Posts: 811 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How dare you talk like that about Kimber's mascot, what a joke. If it has LA on it, it should be melted down. Arms manufacturers should cut off anti gun municipalities. Not a one that I'm aware of has a set of balls other than Ron Barrett.
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by War Pig Actual
    So if it has two bayonet lugs it's illegal in CA? Glad my SKS only has one.

one of those was supposed to be a barrel shroud. You know, the shoulder thing that goes up.
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    Nope saw ARs, M-1s, streetsweepers and winchesters on the LA news film totaly screwed

M-1s............agggggggghhhhhhh they destroyed history. Damn commies
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by countryfarmer

M-1s............agggggggghhhhhhh they destroyed history. Damn commies

What would one expect of the * of the country?[}:)]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
    edited November -1
    quote:What would one expect of the * of the country?

Apparently you've never been to Mississippi
  • Fly DoctorFly Doctor Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    Well, WPA, look at it this way...

It's the same thing as housing developers and banks currently talking about demolishing homes to thin out the available supply and thus boost the housing market.

So, they melted 20 tons of guns in a move frighteningly reminiscent of meltdowns in gun-banning countries. Hey, these are guns that the factories will undoubtedly now be replacing with brand spankin' new ones, in order to replace the ones that the criminals will now have to steal from law abiding folks. As if Gun Salesman of the Year Obamalamadingdong wasn't doing enough to boost gun production, this move by the LAPD is also good for the economy, albeit on a smaller scale. [;)]
    ---
    Seriously, demolishing new homes and melting perfectly good firearms is a criminal waste. Where are the Land O' Fruits and Nuts' ecoterrorists now to complain about the environmental impact of wasting metals that had to be mined to make those guns?

Gotta love the hypocrisy in this butt-lovers'shat-hole of a state. [xx(]
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow. L.A. must be the safest city in the country now!
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,922 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was some dam n nice pieces in that "pile." What a friggin joke. Contract them out to someone outside of Cali and reap the profits. Oh, that would mean money coming into the state,,,bad idea[B)][|)]..nambu
  • coledigger4coledigger4 Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They should have given one to every 'undocumented alien' as a going away present! Two things accomplished, less 'undocumented aliens' and less 'dangerous' guns that have minds of their own and will shoot people if left unattended!