In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

cure for skittishness

PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
edited June 2006 in General Discussion
Well I have a confession to make-- I am still skittish. I hae been at the range many days, and have been fine around weapons going off. Yesterday I was with the 126 Army band in the memorial day events in grand rapids. The band formation was directly across from the rifle honor guard. The honor guard consisted of some yankee infantry (re-enactors) armed with muskets. When it came time for the 21 gun salute, they were aimed right over our heads, albeit about 50 yards away. I knew it was coming, I knew what to expect, but when those muskets went off I dang near jumped out of my shoes. I landed just intime to lift off again at the second barrage. I finally landed and regained controll of my dignity, which wasn't easy considering I was supposed to be at attention. No one said anything to me but I felt quite sheepish. So I ask what if anything can be done to cure me of this skittishness?

Comments

• Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    stop hugging men?[:D][:D]
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    A thorizene shot between the eyes right before the events. You will drool and smile. Everyone will know you are enjoying yourself (and you won't care).
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    get your own gun to shoot, and stop hugging men. Isn't dignified. Or legal.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Too late "Skittishness" must be taken out of a person as a young child.Just like a Begal pup.
    Jeff
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I don't know that you can ever get rid of it completely. Not too long ago, we had a balloon pop in church. Afterwards, one of the Elders came over after seeing my reaction and jokingly said "You can put your guns away. It was just a balloon." I don't think I would call it being skittish either...
  • Options
    Patriots sonPatriots son Member Posts: 915 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pat, I replied on VC forum, It,s Just a observation, and opinion. I wish you the best, and Thank you again for your service.
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pat,
    That Pic with the R. Lee's arm around me reminds me of the movie Saving Silverman, you know, the one where R. Lee Plays coach Norton[:0][}:)][:D]
    Give yourself some time with the jitters, and don't worry about it, nobody I know would look down on you for it.
    Thank you for your service.
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You let a flaming Hollywood size queen like Ermey put his arm around your neck and then say you get skittish when muskets go off? Dude, you give "Death Before Dismount" new meaning.
  • Options
    mrken3235mrken3235 Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a natural reaction to jump when you hear a loud noise. My eyes involuntarily blink every time there's a snare shot near me. Besides you've got nothing to prove. Oh yeah and stop hugging men. Unless they happen to be the most badass honorary gunery sgt. in the universe.