In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Who likes storms?????

owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I love a good storm, lightning, thunder,wind. I love the smell of the ozone from lightning. I love the worst snow storms too. Have been through one tornado but did not get hurt. Been in many big blizzards too. I remember the 1978 blizzard when I snowmobiled over a two story house, only the top of the chimney was showing, saw drifts 30+ feet high, had my cars in the garage and the engine compartments were completely pack in snow with about 5 feet of snow in the closed garage, snow was so deep it was impossible to walk through it, The Abrahams XM1 tank could not even get through the roads, it got stuck, (the tank plant was in my home town and they tried them when no road could be opened with any other kind of vehicles). My neighbor finally got out his biggest John Deere tractor and made some headway after 3 days. Nothing was moving except the snowmobiles and you did not dare get off one as you would sink over your head in the snow in most places. There wasn't a fence to be seen anywhere. Snowmobiling we found a McDonalds open with the manager as the total crew. He fed anyone for free in the emergency. We ran prescripton drugs to people from the drug store with the pharmasist on the phone telling us what to get and who to take it to. I had a Dr. with me and he would stop and deliver a baby wherever he needed to go. We bought bigger and better snowmobiles the next year. 5 times I had to go pickup employees in blizzards to get our business open and running. I had a big powerful machine with a 3 person sled to pull behind it. Actually enjoyed every minute of it. Haven't been directly in a real hurricane yet though. Any storm fans out there or storm stories to share?

Comments

• quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont like Ice storms and I dont like nados, but other then that i am indefferent unless the lighting gets to close and I am in a woods or on a hill tops exposed.

i love snow and cold weather. it doesnt effect me at all.
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't mind a good storm, as long as it isn't a hurricane.[B)]
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    like to watch storms ..over the years i would get out at the last minute before it started to rain to shut systems down....wondering if i had any crops left... up & down from basement trying to spot the unseen tornado that passed close by in the rain two nights in a row...turn pitch black at 3 in the afternoon then going out to have 1/4 mile pivot system twisted into knots ,even pulling concrete pad out of ground....ice growing on things by the minute, snow, dirt blotting out everything ...haven't had locusts or frogs yet....
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone even seen dry grass stems or green tree leaf stems stuck into barns or fence posts?
  • Joe DreesJoe Drees Member Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Snowstorms, as long as I don't have to work that day.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    I love 'em all!

Except severe weather means I go to work, no matter what time of day or night it is.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,058 ******
    edited November -1
    Seeing Nature doing her thing is always gratifying. I have never seen a tornado, but I hope to before I die. I have been where a tornado hit, but didn't get to see it.
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trust me Nunn you don't want to see a tornado. In 63 I lived on a lake and a small one came across and hit my house dead center. Tore huge oak trees out by the roots but surprisingly did very little damage to the house. In 76 a large one went by my house that I live in now close enough to tear 90% of the shingles off. It went over a cemetery and lifted the huge head stones nearly as tall as a man and threw them around. Destroyed a factory and moved 20 ton machines around the floor. Watched one about a mile to the north of me reach down and touch the tree tops. That was about 10 years ago. I love the rain and thunder though. It's raining right now and I want to go back to bed!
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I love snow storms, I remember when I was a kid this one snow storm that had created these big snow cones. a rare phenomenon.

65025155sJAnNL_ph.jpg
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I enjoy almost all weather except for ice storms. And we were lucky enough to have 5 of them this past winter[xx(]. I've been in one tornado, 2 hurricanes, 5 blizzards, countless ice storms, and even one sand storm.

Last fall we had hurricane force winds (77mph) come through here. I told the wife "I wonder what would happen if you tried to pee in a hurricane". She laughed at me, and said "there's one way to find out", thinking that I would not be stupid enough to try it. I showed her, went out did the deed, and I came back in the house, she was asking me questions, and I didn't say anything, I just headed for the bathroom. She thought I was hit by some flying debris or something. After I washed off my face, my ears, neck, and dried my hair, I told her how I was covered in urine, and I didn't want to open my mouth until I got cleaned up. I even had it dripping off my nose. The front of my shirt and pants were also all wet. She was laughing so hard she had to cross her legs to keep from wetting her pants. My problems were probably caused by standing too close to the house and the wind swirled around and blew my juices right back at me. It startled me so much, that I forgot to shut off the flow right away. So If anyone has the urge to pee in a hurricane, take a lesson from me and do it away from buildings or other wind altering objects.[:D]
  • jamesjojamesjo Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use to take our 4x4's and drive them up the back side of my parent's dam in the pasture, lean back at probably a 50 degree angle, and watch the summer night lightning shows. Add a little attitude adjustment and it really made you appreciate mother nature's beauty and power.
    Fun times!
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    LOVE the Biig Storms!

Saw a Waterspout come ashore and topple rows of shipping containers in Long Beach California back in about 1983 - from about seventy feet away!
  • utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I grew up in the midwest and now live in Utah. I really miss the thunderstorms but can do without the tornados.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been in one hurricane, one flood and one tornado and one Asian monsoon. Been in several ice storms and blizzards. Been hit by lightning at least eight times (twice on the ground and at least six in airplanes).

I still like strong storms - up to a point.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    I used to love storms but then I went to work for a ele. coop.
    now I dont like them so much [:D]
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    I love storms. snow storms or others, dont care for the narders either but i do love the storms