In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Just got my first potato gun!

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
A fella in church just brought me over a potato gun. I've never had one, but I've always wanted one...This thing really lobs them out there![8D]

Comments

• trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    Watch out !
    They will take out a car windshield real quick .
    Try a turnip--they are awesome ![^]
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best propellant for one, IMHO, is the cheap NAPA carb cleaner. Beats hairspray or starting fluid by far. Last one I had would go 200 yards +.

Lots of fun, I even built a stand, muzzlebrake(don't know why, but it looked cool!), and adjustable sights for it.[8D]

Oddly enough, it always worked best with the Winchester spuds.[:D]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one years ago that would hit the water in the lake about 700 feet from the house with no problem.

I guess I kind of outgrew it as I got close to 40![:D]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I have a feeling this won't be my last one....I can see this becoming addictive.
  • SwanKongSwanKong Member Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another good propellant is the Paslode cleaner/degreaser.
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    You are officially a redneck! Congrats![8D]
  • bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You live in Idaho and you're just now getting your first spud gun? [:0]
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WD-40 works great
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    When I worked at one of the ADF&G fish weirs, we had one that we would use to shoot at the Black Bears that would come down too the weir to get morts(dead Salmon carcasses). Well we had to cross the river on the upstream side of the weir so we could throw the morts over the top of the weir so they would not collect debris floating down river and possible take out the weir. We used starter fluid along with potatos to run the bears off.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by aglore
    When I worked at one of the ADF&G fish weirs, we had one that we would use to shoot at the Black Bears that would come down too the weir to get morts(dead Salmon carcasses). Well we had to cross the river on the upstream side of the weir so we could throw the morts over the top of the weir so they would not collect debris floating down river and possible take out the weir. We used starter fluid along with potatos to run the bears off.

I was just thinking that these would be good to run the moose off in the winter!

I tried starter fluid (NAPA) and it did not work...it came out more in a liquid form than the hair spray did and I think that's probably why. I can't find my WD-40 to try that.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try some acetylene![:0]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    Try some acetylene![:0]

had a guy at work that used acetylene. worked very well untill he decided to try both acetylene and oxygen. I had one when i was 14 but i used apples. mom had a huge apple tree with endless supply ammo
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    My pop made what he called a "Polish Cannon" when I was a kid, guessin it is the same or close..... he took about 10 or 12 tin veggie cans, top and bottom cut out, 1/2 can of lighter fluid and he could shoot a tennis ball 1/2 way across town.
    [:D]
  • DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A can of butane for refilling lighters works well, and is cheap.

When the novelty wears off, do a search on black powder bowling ball cannons. They are available for sale online.
  • IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    Congrats man, +1 on the carb cleaner, (brake clean Works aswell) You can actually become pretty accurate with em out to a ways, always a good time[:D]
  • Tile KingTile King Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we made a nice one outta some pvc and a grill ignitor. they fly big time. very cool, lots of fun. cheap hairspray works great.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    These things still around? We made one back in the late 60s in science class. I bet the teacher would be fired for making one today. Have fun!
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we used to have contests to see who could hit targets on the other side of the field back during the summers of the high school days.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    all the one i've seen latly ( check out youtube ) are run off air. I seen one guy made one that shot through 10 sheets of plywood.