In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I can't stand to see a dog mistreated.....

Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,596 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I'll spare you guys the details, but I've got me a new dog....

Comments

• pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    Somebody has to be humane! WTG it is a big responsibility and you must be a pretty moral man to take on a new pet. I commend you!
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't stand it either....you are super cool for giving the little guy a good home.

One of the worst things I see around here are those numb-nuts that have a pen.....tiny little pen that they can barely even turn around it.....sitting out in the sun! I hate that. They should have to spend a month in those cages AND have their pet taken away.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork

One of the worst things I see around here are those numb-nuts that have a pen.....tiny little pen that they can barely even turn around it.....sitting out in the sun!

That's how I ended up with her. Poor thing hadn't had grass under her feet for at least a year.

She goes to the vet tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed.....my last "free" pet ended costing a cool grand before I got her fingers crossed. I'll be a happy camper if I can keep costs under $300.
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    This posting is worthless without pictures.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A J Christ
    This posting is worthless without pictures.

I'll see if I can get some up tomorrow
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are a sweety for saving the poor thing. I just don't understand people that have those pens. Can you imagine what it is like to live like that? It makes me wonder WHY they have a dog? My three are a little on the spoiled side....but even when we were younger the neighborhood dogs would roam free and everyone just watched out for them.

What kind of dog is it? Did they give it to you? Or did you do what I dream of doing sometimes and pull a covert move in the middle of the night and snag him?
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    [;)] Nothing wrong with having a heart and some empathy for a poor abused dog Rack. Good on you.[:)]
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Good job Rack!!
  • Horney toadHorney toad Member Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good Man. I have a soft spot for dogs.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    This is my mutt I rescued the day before they were gonna put him down. He had cigarette burns on him, appears to have been severly beaten, and had heart worms. The local shelter would not let us adopt him, until they found a foster family who would take him in and cure the heart worms.

Anyhow, my 8 year old kiddo wanted him real bad and after school would go visit him at the pound every day. She would draw pictures of him going to heaven after they put him to sleep. It was more then the manly-hairy arm pitted women at the shelter could take. They signed us to foster him..we took him to the vet and got the heart worm thing cured, and named him Frito. Darn good bunny and squirell hunter. Weighs only 15 lbs....I figure I have about $75 bucks a pound into him...but what you gonna do with an hysterical 8 year old?

The people who hurt this little dog need to be beaten sensless, every day, for 5 years.

Frito.jpg

k-31.jpg
    edited November -1
    Brandy took her to the vet this morning.

Heartworm.

Ain't life a kick in the nuts.......

We find out tomorrow if treatment is going to be an option, or if its too far along. At best, I can look forward to several hundred dollars in vet bills that I'm not sure I can afford....

I'm so pissed right now I can barely see straight.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Take care of the dog Rack, you're a goon man to take him (or her) out of an abusive situation![;)]
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Heartworm.

We find out tomorrow if treatment is going to be an option, or if its too far along. At best, I can look forward to several hundred dollars in vet bills that I'm not sure I can afford....

Rack,.....you're a good guy.
    If she can be saved, I will help you with some of the bills.
    Just let me know.

I am totally serious BTW.

Edit: folks that own pets and won't even spend the money to prevent them from getting heart worms are the lowest of the low.
    A person that will abuse a pet will do anything,.....including murder.
    I only wish it was legal to eliminate THEM.[xx(]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • wvduecewvduece Member Posts: 272 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    heart worms can be treated with ivomec it takes a lil while to treat a dog if the infestion is bad its a slow process if your vet is a goodun they can tell you the dosage to use n you can do it yourself is very simple process if you give them too much the worms will die at once n clog the arteries but if ya do it over a period of time nothing to it hope the lil dog gets treated jb
  • wvduecewvduece Member Posts: 272 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    oh one more thing you can buy this ivomec at about any feed store or tractor supply has it also ya want the one for cattle hope your vet is willing to help ya out jb
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wvduece
    oh one more thing you can buy this ivomec at about any feed store or tractor supply has it also ya want the one for cattle hope your vet is willing to help ya out jb

Brandy said the vet told her the treatment would be arsenic injections over the course of 3 months, during which time the dog has to be confined to keep its heart rate down. The success rate is pretty good, assuming the dog is healthy enough when the treatment begins. Like I said, we'll know for sure tomorrow, but the vet said she seems healthy otherwise.

Right now we're looking at $350, on top of 250 I've already spent on blood work, shots, worming, etc, ect, etc.....I think we can manage that.......

BTW.....after we get done with this, we get to spay her [B)]

Marc, Thanks. I think we'll manage, but I'll let you know if we need anything.
  • Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
    edited November -1

I feel the same way. I rescued a puppy from a mill and I would get 1000 if I could provide them a good home.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These are the same people that can't raise kids. Their gene pool definitely needs chlorining!
    edited November -1
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good for you Rack Ops. I suspected all along you were a good man. [:)]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We took one in several years ago that we had to treat cost us about 600.00 best 600.00 that I ever spent got one of the best dogs that I ever had for 10 great years
  • The Ultimate InfidelThe Ultimate Infidel Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CAPS INTENDED: IF YOUR VET IS STILL USING ARSENIC TO TREAT HEART WORM, FIND A NEW VET.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laundry-pro
    CAPS INTENDED: IF YOUR VET IS STILL USING ARSENIC TO TREAT HEART WORM, FIND A NEW VET.

I'm not trying to be quarrelsome (for once [:)]), but as far as I'm aware, arsenic-based injections seem to be the standard treatment.

http://www.heartwormsociety.org/article_1143.html
    Adult Heartworm Therapy (Adulticide Therapy)

There is currently one drug approved by the FDA for use in dogs for the elimination of adult heartworms. This drug is an organic arsenical compound. Dogs receiving this drug therapy will typically have had a thorough pretreatment evaluation of its condition and will then be hospitalized during the administration of the drug.

Are you aware of other, more effective treatments?
  • The Ultimate InfidelThe Ultimate Infidel Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beautiful Beagle. I have had Beagles all my life. The one I have now came from similar circumstances and had heart worm as well. She was 8 at the time I got her and was coughing sick with heart worm. Vet told me she was to far gone to treat. My father had been taking dogs in for years and I remembered him telling me something he learned from a Doctor at MUSC. That doc was also a customer and knew my dad rescued dogs, he told my dad about lobelia as a cure for heart worm. He said in his country of origin as he put it,"Columbia" Lobelia was used as the cure for years. My dad had cured several animals with it since. Well My Beagle started on it and I kept her on it for 4 months. I took her back to the vet and her microfelia count was almost non existent. 2 more months and new test showed her negative. Her cough stopped around week 3. She is now 15yrs and healthy. The way Lobelia works is to sterilize the adult worm. The adult worms then die off naturally.
    edited November -1
    Rack Ops...

BR here...that is one beautiful dog....I have such a soft spot for beagles....

My boss and his wife had a male stud (chinese crested) that developed heartworm...yes it was treated with the arsenic, and yes that dog is alive and well and reproducing....

It cost over 700 here for the treatments, you are getting off cheap (pardon that term)...vets are so damned expensive here...the dog is worth saving...you can see it in its eyes...and yes it comes thru in the pic....
    edited November -1
    The heartworms can clog the arterties when dead, that is why you have to be so careful and keep the dog quiet...
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    I love them too. But I have killed quite a few while hunting. I used to hunt near a trash dump. People would drop off their trsh an also their unwanted stray animals. one of my stands was located 235 yards from the dumpsters. Whenever I was on that stand there would usually be at least one or two diseased malnourished mutts hanging around. I felt the most humane thing to do was put them out of their misery. A well placed 130gr BTSP Sierra at 3100fps From my 270 did the job.
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    Good work Rack, What stage is the heartworm in? We had one of the fosters come in with heartworm approx 1.5yr ago stage1. Went through the treatments and dog did great. Got him adopted out about 6 months later.
  • dave40glockdave40glock Member Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    your local humane society vet might be a lot cheaper or have payment plans good luck hope it works out for the best.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    your a good man. I cant see how anyone can mistreat a dog. Are dog is part of are family. It sleeps with the kids, sits and watch movies with us one family movie night. Comes with us on vacations, just basicle anouther kid. And this isnt a little dog either.
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1

Heartworm.

Thats tough news
    [xx(] HOw much does heartworm treatment cost? I know they have to get a series of poison(arsnic) shots that is really hard on them. Most survive some die from the dead worms blocking an artery or causing edema in the lungs.
    edited November -1
    She received her first treatment this morning. I'll keep you guys updated.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Nice looking dog Rack.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301

Nice looking dog Rack.

As opposed to "Nice looking Rack, Dog."

Just kidding. It is a great looking beagle. Start a collection plate here. I could spare a few bucks to help out a great dog like that. My wife and I have 2 dogs that we got from the SPCA. They are super loyal and have "earned their keep" many times over. I have no worries when I have to leave my wife alone overnight. Those dogs would protect her with their life.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    hope every thing turns out ok with you and the dog. I'm trying to talk the wife into another dog. We have a white german shepherd and i want a black one also after seeing one. The wifes response was, its hard enough trying to keep close that are fur free. we dont need to add anouther one.