In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Got to watch one of these work this evean.

LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
edited January 2012 in General Discussion
Got to watch a guy do some work with a Carve Wright CNC machine.

The guy was using a piece of 11"x14" Acrylic to make a Lithopane of his kids similar to this one.

17.jpg

For ones who do not know. A Carve Wright is a CNC machine that carves patterns in wood. You pick your pattern put it on an SD card, insert it into the machine, set the machine and watch it do the work.

Here is another example I found on their web site.

Jewlery-Boxes-Closed1.jpg

The guy had about three grand invested into the machine and extras that he has. But he thinks that he can recoup the investment rather quickly doing Flea markets and custom work for people.

http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/index.php

Check them out and tell me what you guys think.

Comments

• Options
    hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    Thats cool, You should see what we do with lasers when they have us come in on sundays. We cut out a bike with spokes and all on .175 steel that was 1/4 inch in size. This thing has every detail you could think of. Hell it cut such fine cuts that i broke the first couple just checking them out. I wont mention the other things we cut out when they have us working the holidays.
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    impressive CNC
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have saw laser wood carvers work. But I do not think that a regular Joe could afford to buy and have one set up in his garage..[:)]
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,027 ******
    edited November -1
    Beautiful. [:)][:)][:)]
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    I have saw laser wood carvers work. But I do not think that a regular Joe could afford to buy and have one set up in his garage..[:)]

The ones we use at work are half million or more ( we have several types and power rating). We cut up to 1 1/2 steel with most of them. Some will only cut up to 1/2 in steel. It just amazes we what fine detail you can get out of these and we just use them to run production parts.