In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ideal temp for beers, sodas and bottled water?

PanzerSlayer2PanzerSlayer2 Member Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I'm renovating my kitchen and one of the things I'm installing is an undercounter fridge for drinks. I read a couple of reviews on various models and it seems everyone complains the temp is only cool 39F to 47F range. To me that seems planty cold considering ice forms at 32F. What do you guys think?

Comments

• matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    33 ought to be about right. Seems like I remember they resturants like to have their soda machines as close to freezing as possible, that way they don't fizz as bad and they can fill glasses quicker.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Colder the better right up to when it just starts to get slushy.
  • bamafanbamafan Member Posts: 4,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beer- 32 1/2 degrees. Right on the verge.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always heard 40 degrees F.
  • RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember about 40 years ago when visting my Moms aunt and uncle in Canada the adults ( i was only 15 ) would have a beer every eve. they kept it under the sink.But they kept the soda and water almost froze.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you pull them out of a cooler of ice they are just about right. I've never checked the temp, but I would guess it's about 33?F to 34?F.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    don't drink soda and my bottled water is kept at room temp.
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Colder the better right up to when it just starts to get slushy.

Yep.

Jon
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by matwor
    33 ought to be about right. Seems like I remember they resturants like to have their soda machines as close to freezing as possible, that way they don't fizz as bad and they can fill glasses quicker.

Yup.

Doug
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,859 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55
    Colder the better right up to when it just starts to get slushy.
    Another vote.
  • wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    Nothing like a cold beer with ice crystals starting to form on a hot day. I don't drink soda or bottled water, but I like milk around 40F juice is fine atthe same temp. Everything else (water and tea) I put ice in so no big deal. Beer fridge needs to be no warmer than 35F. I still prefer to let it soak in ice and water on the porch for about an hour.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    When you pull them out of a cooler of ice they are just about right. I've never checked the temp, but I would guess it's about 33?F to 34?F.

+1, It always seems perfect when you pull a cold one out of an ice filled cooler
  • PanzerSlayer2PanzerSlayer2 Member Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks all. Upon doing more research I have found that most little fridges are just wine coolers with a swapped out the wine bottle fitted shelf for a flat shelf. Wine does not need to be stored so cold so that's why they only go to about 40F
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PanzerSlayer2
    Thanks all. Upon doing more research I have found that most little fridges are just wine coolers with a swapped out the wine bottle fitted shelf for a flat shelf. Wine does not need to be stored so cold so that's why they only go to about 40F

That is because wine doesn't have any CO2 in it. Due to the Combined Gas Law, more gas will stay in a liquid when its colder.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    I had a mini fridge when i was single that would chill a beer to just about freezing with out doing it. once in awhile you would get alittle frost on the top if you grabbed a beer from the back.
  • RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    Why is it that when at room temperature coffee is cold and beer is hot??
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    36 degrees is good.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RtWngExtrmst
    Why is it that when at room temperature coffee is cold and beer is hot??

One of "those" are you.

Yer prolly the brother of the guy in China who pushed the "suicide" off the bridge.

I'll be watching you.

Doug
    edited November -1
    "cartod
    Advanced Member

13273 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2009 : 1:00:17 PM Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote
    Those Crazy Chinese.

CNN) -- A passerby pushed a would-be suicide jumper off a bridge in southern China because he was angry at the jumper's "selfish activity," Chinese media reported Saturday.

It happened Thursday in the city of Guangzhou as Chen Fuchao threatened to jump off Haizhu Bridge, China's Xinhua news agency reported.

The bridge has gained a "macabre" reputation with 11 jumpers having thrown themselves off the bridge since the start of April, Xinhua said.

Traffic was held up for nearly five hours and a crowd gathered as Chen sat on the bridge, threatening to jump, Xinhua reported.

Chen wanted to kill himself because he had 2 million yuan ($294,000) in debt after a failed construction project, Xinhua reported.

Lian Jiansheng, 66, who was passing by the bridge, offered to talk Chen down, Xinhua said. Police refused, but Lian broke through the police cordon and climbed to where Chen was sitting.

Lian greeted Chen with a handshake, then pushed him off the bridge, Xinhua said.

Chen fell 26 feet (8 meters) onto a partially-inflated emergency air cushion, damaging his spine and elbow in the fall, Xinhua said. He is now recovering in a hospital.

A photographer documented the sequence of events. The photographs show Lian, dressed in a T-shirt, shorts and socks, saluting to the crowd after pushing Chen off.

"I pushed him off because jumpers like Chen are very selfish. Their action violates a lot of public interest," Lian told Xinhua. "They do not really dare to kill themselves. Instead, they just want to raise the relevant government authorities' attention to their appeals."
    Police took Lian away after the incident, Xinhua said. It did not say whether he would face any charges."

'
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Remember to keep a couple of beer mugs in the freezer.

I read somewhere that in the South Pacific during WW2, guys would sometimes take a couple of cases of beer for a ride in a P38, to about 35,000 feet. Then they would barrel back down, and everybody had cold beer.

Nobody back then complained about the gas, but today we have Gore the Greenfreak, and Pelosi.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Beer can be kept at 30-31 degrees, because the alcohol prevents it from freezing, any colder and it will turn to slush, as soon as the pressure is relieved from the bottle/can.[;)]
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the world thinks it is uncivilized to chill beer. The beer tastes best straight from the tap.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • lee_danlee_dan Member Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beer --
    30 degrees --just right --
    And it never gets a chance to warn up
    until it gets in my stomach because
    I drink them so fast ----
    Lee
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If someone is buying, I don't care!
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    The colder the better...I like them to just start to have ice crsytals in them...
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The English drink warm beer because they have LUCAS Refrigerators [}:)][:o)][:0][:p] . But I like mine almost with ice crystals.
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Normally keeps both beer and soda in the fridge.

If someone drops by, I try to put some in the freezer for about half an hour - that brings them down to a temperature, where they just begin to freeze a little.

puuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrr'fect. =o)
  • Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    The English drink warm beer because they have LUCAS Refrigerators [}:)][:o)][:0][:p] . But I like mine almost with ice crystals.

That is funny stuff.
    Lucas- the prince of darkness[:D]
  • RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by machine gun moran

I read somewhere that in the South Pacific during WW2, guys would sometimes take a couple of cases of beer for a ride in a P38, to about 35,000 feet. Then they would barrel back down, and everybody had cold beer.

Nobody back then complained about the gas, but today we have Gore the Greenfreak, and Pelosi.
    Fire extinguisher works very well also.
  • plink_FOIDplink_FOID Member Posts: 293 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recall a beer, I think it was Michelob, that had a little blurb on it that recommended drinking temperature.

32 to 34 degrees maybe...
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Radar
    quote:Originally posted by machine gun moran

Fire extinguisher works very well also.

I've heard of guys putting beer that was bought warm then put in a cooler of ice with a good dose of rock salt on top, put it in the back of the pickup, or back of 4-wheeler, once around the block and its cold. Be careful though, I would think you could freeze it if you didn't watch it.[:0][B)]
  • FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like beers with distinctive flavors--reds, ambers, India pale ales, and so forth--right out of the root cellar where I store them. Seems like at 50 degrees or so the flavor is more distinctive.

But thirst-quenchers like Budweiser, Leinenkugel's original, and so forth, are more refreshing ice cold.
  • PanzerSlayer2PanzerSlayer2 Member Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A little more research....

The darker and the higher alcohol content the beer, the warmer it should be served. The lighter and less alchohol the colder it should be served. The range is 33F to 47F. So the moral must be to buy higher alchohol beer!! :)

I would assume that sode and water having zero alcohol would be better on the 33F side.