In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

12. 1/2 barrel carbine NO NFA required

Comments

• NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I would have to do some serious looking to find out if it is still NFA or not. There are C&R guns that also fall into the NFA group. I dont know what the case is on this one but I would make sure prior to bidding.

The difference between a normal NFA item and a C&R NFA item is that the C&R dealer can receive the item directly vs have to go though an NFA dealer.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...FA?

If so, would still think that a stamp would be needed...just could go to an 03? If I was intersted, I'd jump on that, heck, $2,000 for a FA, hell yes...for that little money WTH cares if it's been re-done...I enjoy FA's but have no interest in any but the 1927 Thompson/BAR, which of course are WAY too much coin...[;)]

...duh...I guess it maybe considered a SBR, is the concern...[:D]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid
    I would have to do some serious looking to find out if it is still NFA or not. There are C&R guns that also fall into the NFA group. I dont know what the case is on this one but I would make sure prior to bidding.

The difference between a normal NFA item and a C&R NFA item is that the C&R dealer can receive the item directly vs have to go though an NFA dealer.

It is advertised NON NFA
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For checking, go to the BATF website, open their curio and relics list. Here: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios/1972-2007/section3.pdf

The weapon in question has been removed from the NFA list, and does not need a stamp, and can go direct to a C&R FFL holder.

Nice specimen, but beyond the capacity of my wallet at present.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Okay. The NFA restrictions have been lifted on this firearm..that begs the question (as it no longer qualifies as a SBR)

Well, what is it? Do you need a pistol permit? Or can it be purchased like any >16in barreled long-gun?

C&R's in NY are not allowed to use their 03FFL to have pistols shipped into the state. Any ideas? Thanks, Joe
    EDIT:
    FYI..I asked the seller how he would be logging this firearm out, either as long-gun, or handgun. Interesting to see his reply. Will post any reply from the seller. Best again, Joe
    EDIT 2:
    Tplumeri..notice the cutout on the bottom of the stock? The item you are questioning is the "boss" for an underfolder bayonet. Best again, again Joe
    EDIT 3:
    Mark C..just read your input. Makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    Best again, Joe
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That gun is a semi auto with a short barrel. Most of the ones that come up for sale are made for the 9mm Glisenti round. A 9mm luger can be fired in them, BUT some 9mm Para/luger loads are TOO hot!! bob
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    why is the front sight underneath the barrel[;)]??
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by givette
    Okay. The NFA restrictions have been lifted on this firearm..that begs the question (as it no longer qualifies as a SBR)

Well, what is it? Do you need a pistol permit? Or can it be purchased like any >16in barreled long-gun?

C&R's in NY are not allowed to use their 03FFL to have pistols shipped into the state. Any ideas? Thanks, Joe
    EDIT:
    FYI..I asked the seller how he would be logging this firearm out, either as long-gun, or handgun. Interesting to see his reply. Will post any reply from the seller. Best again, Joe

It has to be logged in as a rifle because it has a shouder stock and fits the definition Designed, made and intended to be fired from the shoulder. Handguns are firearms desinged to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    why is the front sight underneath the barrel[;)]??
    Because it was made for the Buenos Aires Police which is in Argentina and their South of the equator which makes them upside down from us.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Re: Handgun vs long gun- it is a CARBINE. Definition of carbine is "A short barreled rifle". On the other hand, a Broomhandle Mauser might have a shoulder stock, but it is still a pistol.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Re: Handgun vs long gun- it is a CARBINE. Definition of carbine is "A short barreled rifle". On the other hand, a Broomhandle Mauser might have a shoulder stock, but it is still a pistol.

ATF has strict classifications. Handgun, long-gun, SBR, AOW, etc. Carbine is not one of them.

Now, as to the word "carbine", although I agree with the spirit of calling it that, a carbine is still a long-gun, and is handled as such. I was, in my prior post, wondering what [legal] category it fell under, because the firearm didn't classify any longer as a "SBR" when it was dropped from NFA status. Thanks, Joe