In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

MFI (Or Any Holder Of An 01 FFL In NY)

givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
edited June 2010 in General Discussion
My nephew was denied purchase of an AR stripped receiver sold at [Kingston] Gander Mountain.

He said (they said) that you needed a pistol permit.

Now, if it's a Colt lower, and since Colt never sold bare receivers for their AR, it was originally mf'd as a rifle, and should be so checked off on the 4473 as such.

So, how do you handle the sale of stripped AR lowers? Thanks, Joe

Comments

• Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Form 4473 Sec: B #18, check box Other Firearms frame, receiver, ect. Type not determined till assembled. Does not require a pistol purchase permit. Here in NC we also must have a pistol purchase permit or a CCW to purchase a handgun, but an unassembled lower is not determined until assembled.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    TY, clays. However, I need someone versed in the goofy NY laws. Thanks for responding, though. Joe
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Since it is a colt, and as you say colt never sold bare receivers, it *should* be a rifle since once a rifle always a rifle.

May take time, but perhaps a letter of inquiry to the BATFE ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iwannausername
    Since it is a colt, and as you say colt never sold bare receivers, it *should* be a rifle since once a rifle always a rifle.

May take time, but perhaps a letter of inquiry to the BATFE ?

I used Colt as an example. I'm not sure of the mf'r, or if it ever was assembled into a firearm. The plot thickens..

Awaiting a NY FFL's input. Thanks, Joe
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not an FFL, but I have bought several stripped lowers from FFLs here. No one has ever asked me for a pistol permit.

My shopmate IS an FFL....he just told me that a pistol permit IS NOT required to purchase a stripped lower receiver in NYS.
  • Options
    realspeedrealspeed Member Posts: 6,335
    edited November -1
    no the new law says that stripped lowers are to be sold only to person's 21 or older.
  • Options
    realspeedrealspeed Member Posts: 6,335
    edited November -1
    thats the federal law....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    By Jove, I think I've got it!!!

Thanks a million, fellas!