In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need more gun?

bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2018 in General Discussion
C6DDSaVh.jpg
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"

Comments

• Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wish mine was ported! I bought one of the first ones, only a couple of weeks after they came out, I found one CHEAP used, with only 3 rounds through it! [:D]

Merc
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mercury
    I wish mine was ported! I bought one of the first ones, only a couple of weeks after they came out, I found one CHEAP used, with only 3 rounds through it! [:D]

Merc

Send it out to Magnaport and have them do their thing. I wonder which is more better? Factory port or Magnaport?
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,458 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been awhile since I've shot mine may have to remedy that this week
  • Options
    oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I noticed the excellent design of the grips on it. Are all the big calibers like that? My 357 slams the trigger guard into my middle finger.
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Merc

That is so funny as that is exactly how I got my Freedom Arms Model-83 454 Casull.
    Guy ordered it, gun shop owner was at the range with him on the maiden voyage, buyer run 3 and handed it to gun store owner and said sell it. He ran the last two.
    I got it at a real discount or I likely still wouldn't have one because of price.
    Gun store owner and I had a good laugh about it.

Mule
  • Options
    MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Raging Bull in .454Casull that will take that same burglar.
    Mine has the 8-3/8" ported barrel, and yes, I'm VERY glad it is ported!
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dpmule

Merc

That is so funny as that is exactly how I got my Freedom Arms Model-83 454 Casull.
    Guy ordered it, gun shop owner was at the range with him on the maiden voyage, buyer run 3 and handed it to gun store owner and said sell it. He ran the last two.
    I got it at a real discount or I likely still wouldn't have one because of price.

Mule

Must have been why at a Gun show I saw one cheap. Should have bought it. But that was many years ago.

Biggest one I have now is a Blackhawk in 30 Carbine.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Merc

Mule

3 rounds is what most men run through my .454 before they hand it back. Some don't make it past one. It's not to bad with 250-260gr rounds and I enjoy shooting it. With 300gr or plus it isn't pleasant and I generally only shoot 2 or 3 cylinders through it before taking a break from it. I have the Ruger with a 6 round cylinder.

I've killed several deer with it.
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5

Merc

Mule

3 rounds is what most men run through my .454 before they hand it back. Some don't make it past one. It's not to bad with 250-260gr rounds and I enjoy shooting it. With 300gr or plus it isn't pleasant and I generally only shoot 2 or 3 cylinders through it before taking a break from it. I have the Ruger with a 6 round cylinder.

I've killed several deer with it.

I run just factory 260's for fun/practice but Garrett 365gr 1500 fps Hammerheads ( 7.5" barre) mine is a 6" so likely 150fps slower, when packing in the hills. but very sharp recoil, definitely not a practicing load.
    http://www.garrettcartridges.com/45 tech.html
    This is a grizzly load if there ever was one.
    I've used Garrett 45/70 loads on moose, Elk, and black bear with great results, hope I never get the opportunity to use the 454 load on Grizzly, but am prepared if faced with that situation.

Mule
  • Options
    xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage170
    Gary, I have 15 rounds of 500 Grain if your interested...
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a .480 Ruger. Wundudnee and I took it out to shoot. Makes a fireball the size of a football. Don't even need a slug to hit 'em.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure a 50 Caliber Handgun would get the job done. I seem to remember that you'd probably need an "88 magnum, and it can shoot clean through a house"! [:D]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,458 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by xxx97
    quote:Originally posted by savage170
    Gary, I have 15 rounds of 500 Grain if your interested...

Always interested in ammo
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine has a 4" barrel. With the weight of the gun and the big soft grip makes it easier on recoil than my 11.5 ounce S&W 340PD .357 Mag snubby by a long shot.

f0c92d33-ecfb-49f7-9b21-d5dd95226be1_zpsum8zecnh.jpg

They do have a bit of muzzle flash.

50mag-blast2_zps24759e04.jpg
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a gorgeous weapon, no doubt about it.

Shooting it? I'll have to pass. [8)]
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's the life expectancy of the "X" frame before it gets cut in to two?
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know. I've shot well over 200 rounds through mine, and it is still perfectly tight....

Merc

quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A hand cannon for certain...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster

When I first bought mine I wondered the same thing. So I cut a thin piece of stainless steel sheet metal and bent it into a clip and installed it on the frame above the cylinder gap to see if there would be any damage to the metal. After several hundred rounds it was no worse for the wear so I removed it. There's still no groove cut in the frame after the many rounds I put through my 500.