In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Harley Fans

Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in General Discussion
What do you Harley riders think about the Screaming Eagle Road Glide? My oldest son bought one of them this week. I think they look good but in my opinion they are a bit over priced.

4CWDIuK.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks big or at least long.

I just looked at what they cost......That is a lot of scratch for a motorcycle.[:0]
    RLTW

• Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Adding the Name Screaming eagle means a huge price increase. To me it is not worth the price and I like Harley.

Now all bets are off if I win the Lottery.

quote:PRICING
    CUSTOM COLOR $41,399 CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS $200 FREIGHT $435

I will Keep my 2006 Heritage Classic and would instead by a Fully Equipped truck for that price.
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Serious $$$ for that one. I hope he enjoys it. I?m still sticking with my old Shovel and the Street Glide.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    jkbt1jkbt1 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hope he has better luck with it than my brothers. It's a "limited edition" and I can't tell you what model but it's the 117 CI engine and he has close to 50k in it. Bought it in illinois and by the time he got to KC , it's maiden voyage , it was barely running. Harley put a new engine in it because apparently they still can't figure out how to put em together at the factory. Nice looking bikes? You bet! Mechanically I think they still have a lot to be desired.
  • Options
    scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sweet looking ride, but nearly 50K for a bike? Doubt you'll ever see one in my driveway.
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice bike but pricey. If I were going to buy that style of bike, I would buy a Honda Gold Wing.
    I'm a Harley guy but for a long range cruiser, the Wing reigns supreme.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I wish I still had my '78 FLH, if I had that much to spend today it would be on an Indian Chief Vintage.
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All new Harley's are overpriced,, You wanna talk about losing value the minute you roll it off of the showroom floor. Around here its been pretty easy to find one with under 10k miles for half or less than new
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sharpshooter039
    All new Harley's are overpriced,, You wanna talk about losing value the minute you roll it off of the showroom floor. Around here its been pretty easy to find one with under 10k miles for half or less than new

I'd bet most of those are midlife crisis wannabe's.
    Instead of starting small and working their way up they go up to their * in debt, buy way to much machine and then learn that motorcycles scare the crap out of ain't for them.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,029 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never cared for the twin headlight on the road glide
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by austin20
    Never cared for the twin headlight on the road glide

Almost got one instead of the Classic. But you are right looks I could not get over.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice bike, but I think I'd rather build my own hog...

Maybe next year I'll start building one. And if I do, I will take pictures of the progress.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asphalt cowboy

Instead of starting small and working their way up they go up to their * in debt, buy way to much machine and then learn that motorcycles scare the crap out of ain't for them.

I've turned over a few that I scored off wannabe's in over their head$. Buy when snows on the ground and their Christmas and Hanukkah bills come due [8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mjrfd99

I've turned over a few that I scored off wannabe's in over their head$. Buy when snows on the ground and their Christmas and Hanukkah bills come due [8D]

We've got a new girl at work who mentioned wanting to get a motorcycle. When I told her she should take the BRC before buying anything she said she had that lined up already. I didn't know it, but HD offers BRC to military and first responders free of charge. Turns out, she's with volunteer fire dept.

At any rate, she agreed when I told her BRC would teach her two very important things. 1. How to survive on the streets and 2. Whether or not she and motorcycles are compatible.
    I've convinced maybe a dozen people to take the BRC before buying their first ride and sadly, most didn't pursue riding beyond the class. Nearly every one of those have thanked me for saving them money in the long run.
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $4,600 plus tax. But you have to time travel back to 1979 when I bought it. Still have it.

standard.jpg
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will stick to my '86 Beemer K-100.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mjrfd99

We've got a new girl at work who mentioned wanting to get a motorcycle. When I told her she should take the BRC before buying anything she said she had that lined up already. I didn't know it, but HD offers BRC to military and first responders free of charge. Turns out, she's with volunteer fire dept.

At any rate, she agreed when I told her BRC would teach her two very important things. 1. How to survive on the streets and 2. Whether or not she and motorcycles are compatible.
    I've convinced maybe a dozen people to take the BRC before buying their first ride and sadly, most didn't pursue riding beyond the class. Nearly every one of those have thanked me for saving them money in the long run.

When I was still in the Marines the Base General Sent out a letter to all who had a Motorcycle registered on Base. What he wanted to know was how to stop the rise in Motorcycle deaths of Young Marines.

My Response got me a visit with the General. One Suggestion was to have a poker run on base to increase awareness. Which they did. But that was not my main point. The Basic Riders course was almost impossible to get into I was able to talk my way in without the normal 6 month waiting time. But a young Marine is just going to place his bike off base and ride off base only. That was where I lost all the Marines that Died from Motorcycles.

They increased the staff so they could hold more classes but for some reason the waiting time just never decreased. To this day they are still losing way to many to this.

They did finally add the Advanced rider course for those of us who had been riding a while, instead of sending us back to the basic every few years filling the class up so young guys could not get in.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog

My first was a '68 R60. Just like girls, you never forget your first. After 30 years, I still regret parting with her.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog

My first was a '68 R60. Just like girls, you never forget your first. After 30 years, I still regret parting with her.

K750FX. Jap Model 900 sold in Japan where they had a CC Restriction. One of my Bosses brought it back and I bought it from him.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beautiful...if I bought a Harleynit would be a road glide
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I wish this one was within my budget.
    https://tinyurl.com/yderduhp

Would be a great base to start from
  • Options
    edited November -1

[:D]

quote:Everybody Rides Financing Available! No Credit, Bad Credit, Let's Ride! Call NOW for more info!
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea its over priced, and you can take a regular one with a 114cc engine, and about 5K make it do what this one will do.

HD has a Rev-Limiter on the to keep you from using all the HP they say they make...[V]

If you buy the HD supper tuner to bypass it this thing will really scream.

Trinity +++
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TrinityScrimshaw
    Yea its over priced, and you can take a regular one with a 114cc engine, and about 5K make it do what this one will do.

HD has a Rev-Limiter on the to keep you from using all the HP they say they make...[V]

If you buy the HD supper tuner to bypass it this thing will really scream.

Trinity +++

Forget the Harley tuner get this one with the ability to tune as you want no more maps.

http://www.dynojet.com/powervision/

Change out your O2 Sensors for the wide band and its tune on the go.
  • Options
    DresserDanDresserDan Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check and see how much its worth now. He better ride the h out of it to make it worth it. Next year he will have a real rude awaking when he wants to get rid of it. Hope he got the extra warranty.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Check and see how much its worth now. He better ride the h out of it to make it worth it. Next year he will have a real rude awaking when he wants to get rid of it. Hope he got the extra warranty.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy

[:D]

quote:Everybody Rides Financing Available! No Credit, Bad Credit, Let's Ride! Call NOW for more info!

The Wichita Indian dealer has it on consignment. They do have a reasonable price on a '16 Chief Vintage.
    https://tinyurl.com/y8gcdb96
    Were I in a position to go up to my * in debt I'd give this one some thought.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,699 ******
    edited November -1
    Toyota has Lexus
    Ford has Lincoln
    Smith and Wesson has Performance Center
    Harley Davidson has Screamin? Eagle and CVO.
  • Options
    7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    Adding the Name Screaming eagle means a huge price increase. To me it is not worth the price and I like Harley.

Now all bets are off if I win the Lottery.

quote:PRICING
    CUSTOM COLOR $41,399 CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS $200 FREIGHT $435

I will Keep my 2006 Heritage Classic and would instead by a Fully Equipped truck for that price.

I agree! I think these days motorcycles in general are WAY over priced. Especially top shelf Harleys.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    Toyota has Lexus
    Ford has Lincoln
    Smith and Wesson has Performance Center
    Harley Davidson has Screamin? Eagle and CVO.

Folks with money can' t be expected to drive/ride peasant grade stuff!
  • Options
    mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    What do you Harley riders think about the Screaming Eagle Road Glide? My oldest son bought one of them this week. I think they look good but in my opinion they are a bit over priced.

4CWDIuK.jpg

What I find interesting is that in the 70's as a young man, I admired magazines like Chopper and Easy Rider. The custom bikes were such examples of creativity and skills.

Where's the fun in buying a half ton of chinese plastic assembled in Milwaukee? And paying more for it than either of my houses. I think you need to take your son out behind the woodshed. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wait till he falls over. And he will sooner or later. Plastic and road rash don't go together.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DresserDan

He don't care he's got enough money to burn a wet mule. He put over $80,000 in this one a couple of years ago and it's just sitting in his garage.

2lPFp34.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DresserDan
    Wait till he falls over. And he will sooner or later. Plastic and road rash don't go together.

He raced Moto-X for over 10 years he knows what it's like to take a trip over the bars.