In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cursive writing

milesmiles Member Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in General Discussion
Does anyone write in cursive anymore? I tried to copy a page from a book a few minutes ago just to see if I could and it looked like a first grader had written it.

I had no idea I had lost the ability to legibly write in cursive.
Pretty much ashamed of myself right now.[V]

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep- That's how I do it. These days, it looks more like a Doctors prescription.[:D]
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    havent since high school
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine more resembles shorthand written by a right handed man who lost his right arm in an accident having to learn to write left handed after chugging a quadruple espresso from Starbucks all the while suffering from Turrets Syndrome.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been forced to print for almost a decade by my progressing arthritis, The only "script" I do is signatures and sometimes that doesn't come out very well.
  • Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All i use is cursive writing.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck
    Mine more resembles shorthand written by a right handed man who lost his right arm in an accident having to learn to write left handed after chugging a quadruple espresso from Starbucks all the while suffering from Turrets Syndrome.

Yup! [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Other than signing my name, I haven't written anything with cursive since I graduated from high school.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife describes mine as connected printing. Spent too many years drafting drawings I guess. It has just become a habit.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I passed the Carl Rhinehart system of
    Cursive Writing in the 3rd grade...Of course
    I scribble like a monkey now.
  • Options
    Brian98579Brian98579 Member Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My ability to write in cursive was destroyed by my first job with WSP at North Bend as a radio dispatcher in 1962. We worked 3 shifts, and maintained at the desk, a community spiral steno notebook, outlined in 4 to 6 even squares per page, in which we entered each radio request from a trooper for a driver check or vehicle registration information, as well as the response. These were relayed via radio to WSP HQ in Olympia, where they were phoned to DMV, and responded to at the leisure of the radio operator in Olympia.

We were required to make all entries in these notebooks in block print, so they could be read by the oncoming shift, and as an official record they were kept on file for future reference. To this day, I am unable to write for more than a few sentences until I default into printing.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I still write in cursive just fine.
    I even keep pens and pencils handy just in case.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,441 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    Other than signing my name, I haven't written anything with cursive since I graduated from high school.

Yep, same here
  • Options
    Irish 8802Irish 8802 Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was taught the "Gregg Palmer" method in grade school.Arthritis has degraded it somewhat,but still pretty good.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian

Yep, same here
    Ditto. I have totally forgotten how to write some letters.I always print, 'cept for signatures.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dads3040
    My wife describes mine as connected printing. Spent too many years drafting drawings I guess. It has just become a habit.

after spending that much time in school drafting in pencil and ink, no I do not write in cursive. My signature is a stylized logo nothing legible..... Funny thing, my oldest daughter who is studying architecture is the same way and she is just getting started on lettering. She has a few years on it, but most of high school was all AutoCAD , now she really has to do hand lettering freehand...

As a lefty, cursive was very difficult for me. Even drafting, I had to be very careful not to smudge my work.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still use cursive on a regular basis.
  • Options
    Brian98579Brian98579 Member Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My mother went to school in the mid 30s, quit in the 11th grade, and always had beautiful handwriting. She was well into dementia in her 70s, when she died, but her writing was still a perfect representation of the charts at the top of the blackboards.

A different emphasis in schools, I suppose. Maybe it isn't worth the effort, but it seems we've lost something in our culture.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never print and only write in cursive.
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes. I can and can fast. My brain almost can't keep up[B)]
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    o b juano b juan Member Posts: 1,941 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even the undocumented aliens Sorry Illegal aliens have very good cursive or block writing, they are still teaching it so if they have to at least the 4th grade they write and print much better than Yo
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started working as a draftsman when I was 20 years old back in 1970 and I haven't written much of anything in cursive since then. I can start off trying to write in cursive and it ends up looking more like printing. The last time I tried I completely forgot how to make a capital "Z" so I just printed one.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ballpoint pen is the major problem with legible cursive writing.
    If you can find a fountain pen you will discover that you have to write much more carefully. Practice for just a while & you will see a major improvement.
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dav1965
    All i use is cursive writing.

Ditto with very few exceptions.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    The primary purpose I have for cursive writing (other than writing checks) is for "thank you" notes that I'll send to someone following a special action by the person. It has a more personal touch that typing out some trite saying on an e-mail.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by miles

Does anyone write in cursive anymore? I tried to copy a page from a book a few minutes ago just to see if I could and it looked like a first grader had written it.

I had no idea I had lost the ability to legibly write in cursive.
    Pretty much ashamed of myself right now.[V]

You've been cursed![}:)]

I can write in cursive quicker than in print.[^]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,971 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Regularly. Mostly I touch type.
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can still write cursive, I attended Catholic school and the memory of sister Gulielma and her mahogany ruler with steel edge is enough incentive to keep it straight.
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never even learned how to write in cursive. Sadly I cant read it either because I have no idea what the letters I am looking at are.

My printing is so bad that when working our secretary did all my paperwork. I can write my numbers, but it takes a bit to read them.

The only reason I made it through school was because no one wanted to deal with me a second year. I read just fine. I was 25 years old when I had an eye Dr explain to me that I was right handed with left eye dominate. He then told me all the problems I had in school. [:)]

Odd how I could go to school for years and no one worried about my not being able to write more than my name. As it is now I just draw some doodle and that is it.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Onehandude
    I can still write cursive, I attended Catholic school and the memory of sister Gulielma and her mahogany ruler with steel edge is enough incentive to keep it straight.

This made me smile. [:)] I don't think I was suited for Catholic schooling. Once in the 4th grade and a new student at the school, I sat in the front row just to the right of the teacher's desk. One day she whacked me across the fingers with the sharp edge of the ruler for some forgotten infraction. I stood up and snatched the ruler from her hand and broke it over my raised thigh, dropped it on the floor and told her to not ever do that again. I sat down and did not hear another word from her that I recall. [:D]
    What's next?
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi

This made me smile. [:)] I don't think I was suited for Catholic schooling. Once in the 4th grade and a new student at the school, I sat in the front row just to the right of the teacher's desk. One day she whacked me across the fingers with the sharp edge of the ruler for some forgotten infraction. I stood up and snatched the ruler from her hand and broke it over my raised thigh, dropped it on the floor and told her to not ever do that again. I sat down and did not hear another word from her that I recall. [:D]

In Marymount Catholic school in Rome that would have landed you in the school dungeon on the rack operated by assistant principal Father Baldassario, someone to rekon with who also had the full full backing of all parents, ouch [B)][B)][B)]
    Kimi back in those days you would have surely suffered in catholic school [:D]
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    Ford 23Ford 23 Member Posts: 3,129
    edited November -1
    As time passes and fewer and fewer grade school students are taught Cursive writing seems the ability of reading it will go the way of the dinosaurs

I often wonder how they will cope with the past, everything the founders wrote was cursive writing plus all through the years State, County, City, Military records, family record, birth certificates, death certificates and most important documents were all in cursive.

Maybe as time passes they will have people who specialize in reading cursive, so to speak, translate to print on a screen so the population will be able to understand our past history, for those interested in more than the Obama world
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,221 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another Catholic school student here. All 16 years, in fact!

Almost the only cursive writing I do these days is in book inscriptions - and I mess up enough of those (which ruins the book) that I probably will begin printing all of them except for my signature - which is remarkably legible.

I still have to look at the keyboard and type with two fingers, despite 25 years as a writer. So we might say that my typing isn't much better than my writing.

They're both "cursive." They elicit curses.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still write well in cursive; in fact better now than when I was in school. In 5th grade my cursive writing would bring poor Mrs. Burkowitz to tears.
  • Options
    craigroopcraigroop Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My last two years in school I had to stay after class to take tests orally because teach coudn't read my writing. I passed tho.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi

In Marymount Catholic school in Rome that would have landed you in the school dungeon on the rack operated by assistant principal Father Baldassario, someone to rekon with who also had the full full backing of all parents, ouch [B)][B)][B)]
    Kimi back in those days you would have surely suffered in catholic school [:D]

[:D]

Probably so. A counselor called my mother one day in 9th grade to tell her that I had to take three licks or be expelled, (known as a suspension nowadays), for something that I was not guilty of doing. The counselor got off the phone with my mother and told the principal that if my mind was made up that I would not change it. So I proudly took the three days off and no doubt enjoyed every bit of it.
    [:D]
    What's next?
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I got suspended in 10th grade for 3 days for smoking in the hallway.
    The next day I was riding my snow machine and went to the high school grounds because it was all flat and their was only about 6" of snow.I blasted around for a while then parked in back of the school,went in and used the restroom.
    WHen I came out my Right glove(throttle hand) was GONE!! I rode home with my R hand freezing bad!! WHen I went back to school,I had a office referal slip waiting for me in home room.Went to principals office and there was my glove,sitting on his desk[:0][B)]

5 DAYS of DETENTION!!![V]
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Pretty soon, no one but the intelligent people will be able to read the actual documents that founded this country.
    The average person will be given his cellphone or have a tracking device implanted.
    Vaccination is mandatory in Cali now, so the sheep will be innoculated and tracked just like any herd.

We really need to just go back to the iron age and start again.
  • Options
    KAMsalesKAMsales Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can write in print and cursive but they're both equally messy. Years ago when I did actual blueprinting I had to do block print but 20 years of being parked behind a keyboard has diminished that ability. I can type at blazing speeds though, that's probably why my posts are often written faster than I could think about what to write [;)]
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking

We really need to just go back to the iron age and start again.

That's coming but not by choice.