In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mark Richt gets the ax!

Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2015 in General Discussion
Richt's Georgia team wins 9 games this year and he gets the ax. They deserve what's coming just like Tennessee did for firing Phil Fulmer.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/reports--georgia-fires-coach-mark-richt-172742330.html

Comments

• Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    with a winning program like he has put out, the only valid reason for termination would be recruiting violations, or loss of control of the program, ie conduct of the team/coaches
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HS recruits/players, said they would NOT commit to Georgia, if Mark Richt was fired. Guess we will see if that is true now. He has been slipping a little, but this is a new team with a new QB. Sucks that we lost a great coach.[V]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He won't have a problem finding a job that's for sure.
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thats very common, and even if the recruit has signed a letter of intent, firing the coach is one of the instances where that committment can be voided.quote:Originally posted by Oakie
    HS recruits/players, said they would NOT commit to Georgia, if Mark Richt was fired. Guess we will see if that is true now. He has been slipping a little, but this is a new team with a new QB. Sucks that we lost a great coach.[V]
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not shocked, I've heard at alumni gatherings for a few years this was in the plans if a National Championship didn't appear, he knew full well at his pay rate his allotted time was close at hand if he didn't deliver........he didn't. Really good guy & Christian, a natural born player recruiter but it's time to move on while holding a very good record. Georgia's program will regress for a few years no doubt.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Richt was a class guy who ran a class program while winning a ton of ballgames.

Only in the SEC could he fired.

Careful what you wish for, Dawgs.....
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    Richt was a class guy who ran a class program while winning a ton of ballgames.

Only in the SEC could he fired.

Careful what you wish for, Dawgs.....
    But couldn't beat "Nick"![;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag

TV analylist?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If I were Richt I would get up on top of the highest point of the stadium and put my thumb to my nose and wave the other 4 fingers in the air at them and then take my millions and spend the rest of my life taking it easy!
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our Tailgate group yesterday was about half Tech grads and the other half were UGA fans, 4 of which went to UGA, the rest went to WalMart. One of my friends is in the Banking World and several of his UGA friends from Banking were with us and they were talking about how the Alumni that had been discussing buying out Richt's contract for the last 2 years. Only in the SEC....
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    A record of 145-51 over 15 years, with two SEC conference championships and six SEC Eastern Division titles, loses his prime tailback, and still accomplishes a 9-3 season with mediocre quarterbacking.

Yep, only in the SEC.
  • Options
    themountainmanthemountainman Member Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr. Richt and hid family is a class act. They have made numerous contributions around here. I wish him the best.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who can do math and those who can't. :?
  • Options
    edited November -1

..teaching Sunday school?[:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Richt hit his ceiling in his first 5 yrs as Georgia head coach, he hasn't won a SEC title in the last 10 years, I look for Nick Sabans right-hand man Kirby Smart who is a former Georgia player to return home [:)]. If this doesn't happen then Georgia's Athelic Director (former tennis coach [:D]) who fired a top-notch nationally admired football coach will find himself de-nutted & unemployed [;)]

• Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Well, LSU may be needing a new OC soon.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    A record of 145-51 over 15 years, with two SEC conference championships and six SEC Eastern Division titles, loses his prime tailback, and still accomplishes a 9-3 season with mediocre quarterbacking.

Yep, only in the SEC.

It was even worse at Tennessee. Phil Fulmer had a 152-52 record over a 16 year period at Tennessee with one undefeated national championship season along with 2 out right SEC championships and 6 East Division Championships and they fired him. They went 6 years before they had another winning season after that and celebrated like they had won the national championship when they won 7 games.

Fulmer only had 2 seasons where he didn't win at least 8 games. Tennessee also went to 15 bowl games during that time. In 2007 the year before they fired him they were SEC East Division Champs.

The man was an all SEC offensive lineman as a player at Tennessee, he was an assistant coach there for 13 seasons before he took over the head coaching job for 16 years. He spent the majority of his life at that school and they kicked him out as if it was nothing.

He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2012.

They don't deserve to ever win another championship of any kind.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother is a UGA alum. He was starting linebacker and defensive captain of the Bulldogs for 2 years in the seventies, won the SEC one year.
    He is president of some secret Bulldog support group in Athens, goes up there once a month for meetings, won't talk about it.
    He hosts a radio call in show on Monday nights, during football season.

When you hear about "alumni unhappy with Richt" my brother is at the top of the list. He says the guy has lost his touch, and he has wanted Richt fired for the past 4 years.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    My brother is a UGA alum. He was starting linebacker and defensive captain of the Bulldogs for 2 years in the seventies, won the SEC one year.
    He is president of some secret Bulldog support group in Athens, goes up there once a month for meetings, won't talk about it.
    He hosts a radio call in show on Monday nights, during football season.

When you hear about "alumni unhappy with Richt" my brother is at the top of the list. He says the guy has lost his touch, and he has wanted Richt fired for the past 4 years.

Allen, send me the number of the call in show if you can please.

Captain, Glad we didn't have a bet on this years game because I would have been embarrassed to accept anything, the way both teams played. Oakie. In my opinion, Mark Richt is nothing but a class act and a great man. Just look what he did when the opposing player got hurt in Athens. He sent his private plane to pick up the parents to come be with their son. He also went to check on the kid. How many coaches would have done that. Besides football, Mark Richt is a mans man in my books.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm bettin' South Carolina has just found them a new coach.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Georgia has too [;)], it just hasn't been announced yet, a Saban trainee and former Georgia player [:)]

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer

Georgia has too [;)], it just hasn't been announced yet, a Saban trainee and former Georgia player [:)]

Kirby Smart is a great assistant coach but he's not head coaching material. They'll be sorry they ever considered him if they do hire him.
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    I'm not shocked, I've heard at alumni gatherings for a few years this was in the plans if a National Championship didn't appear, he knew full well at his pay rate his allotted time was close at hand if he didn't deliver........he didn't. Really good guy & Christian, a natural born player recruiter but it's time to move on while holding a very good record. Georgia's program will regress for a few years no doubt.

This is where college football is now in the Power 5 Conferences. Similar talk has also started with Coach Sumlin at Texas A&M. At $5mil/year, the expectations are there better be 10-2 seasons at the very least after at least 4 years, plus a conference championship. I think Sumlin will have another couple years to show major improvements because he still has a number of years left on his contract extension.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Kirby Smart is a great assistant coach but he's not head coaching material. They'll be sorry they ever considered him if they do hire him.

You very well could be right, I do remember pretty much the same was said about Richt when he was training under Bowden (great recruiter but not head coach material) down at Florida State. I suppose they all have a desire to prove themselves worthy or not to be a head coach at some point in their careers

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oakie I sent you an email but it got kicked back to me.
  • Options
    godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    very tough conference and everybody wants to beat alabama.
  • Options
    edited November -1

You very well could be right, I do remember pretty much the same was said about Richt when he was training under Bowden (great recruiter but not head coach material) down at Florida State. I suppose they all have a desire to prove themselves worthy or not to be a head coach at some point in their careers

You're probably right. According to how determined someone is they'll do whatever it takes to excel at what ever they do. He may just surprise everyone and turn out to be a great head coach. If he does he deserves it. He's put in his time and he's done a great job at Alabama.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Aggies have enjoyed a better record in the SEC West than in the Big-12, but that was expected, albeit not by much. During 2008 to 2011 the Aggies mustered a 15 & 18 losing record in the Big-12, while in the SEC, they have improved this to a 17 & 15 winning record. No surprise there, so Sumlin's job should be good for another year or two. The big deal here is the LSU game that has been a pretty good rivalry, but the Tigers have won the last five and the Aggies the previous five.

I think UGA is making a mistake too.
    What's next?
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Georgia is hiring Steve Spurrier [:D]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I understand Rickey Bustle lives in the Athens area and is looking for work.... [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    I think Georgia is hiring Steve Spurrier [:D]
    Doubtful, he's got too much age on him and he has a pretty mobile history. Georgia I hope is looking for a long term solution but long term in the SEC has gotten rare (which can be a good thing too) so who knows [:)].

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    I understand Rickey Bustle lives in the Athens area and is looking for work.... [:D]
    He needs to move too Atlanta if he's looking for work [:D]

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    He needs to move too Atlanta if he's looking for work [:D]

His wife is teaching at UGA, as I hear it he is volunteering at a Local High School with their football program. His sister in law is my wifes best friend from grade school days.... Talked to her tonight about him... [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My ESP was apparently working overtime [:D] , Kirby Smart is in [;)]

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster

Yep, only in the SEC.

It was even worse at Tennessee. Phil Fulmer had a 152-52 record over a 16 year period at Tennessee with one undefeated national championship season along with 2 out right SEC championships and 6 East Division Championships and they fired him. They went 6 years before they had another winning season after that and celebrated like they had won the national championship when they won 7 games.

Fulmer only had 2 seasons where he didn't win at least 8 games. Tennessee also went to 15 bowl games during that time. In 2007 the year before they fired him they were SEC East Division Champs.

The man was an all SEC offensive lineman as a player at Tennessee, he was an assistant coach there for 13 seasons before he took over the head coaching job for 16 years. He spent the majority of his life at that school and they kicked him out as if it was nothing.

He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2012.

They don't deserve to ever win another championship of any kind.

Fulmer was a back stabbing SOB...ask Johnny Majors...I never liked Fulmer,he was also a rat!...not respected by his peers..[xx(]
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie

TV analylist?

Sounds like UVA may be in the mix, has some connections there as does Al Golden. Richt was sought by UVA 15 years ago when he chose Georgia and UVA went with Al Groh.

My Hokies scored Justin Fuente...and are keeping Bud Foster running the Dee....gonna be awesome to see an offensive oriented VT team with a pocket style QB in the future. Future looks bright for VT, may take a few years of recruiting but some new young energy in the recruiting will be great for the Hokies.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    Fulmer was a back stabbing SOB...ask Johnny Majors...I never liked Fulmer,he was also a rat!...not respected by his peers..[xx(]

Majors was a drunkard that should have had someone stab him in the back years earlier. Fulmer was doing all the work and Majors wasn't even showing up for practices and when he was he wasn't fit to be on the field.

Fulmer's peers voted him into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2012.