In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Our Vets

Dr.NippsDr.Nipps Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2014 in General Discussion
So tonight one of my closest friends started giving away his Iraq and Afghanistan combat/uniform gear. Most of which would have fetched a lot of dollars on open market, but no matter what I said he wouldn't hold on to it. I also found a flag that that he flew in Iraq and Afghanistan, but he persists on not posting it to any pole or wall to show its colors. Could these be signs of distress, and if so how long should I hold onto his personal belongings before he realises its real value?

Comments

• Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd hold onto it indefinitely if I had the space, someday he may want it back or not. It could be a sign distress or it could be a sign that he is letting that stuff go out of his life, jettisoning the baggage and moving on. Not everyone is nostalgic, some WWII vets were all about collecting their momentos from the war, others you'd never even know they served because they didn't save a single thing from that time period of their life. My Dad didn't express anything about being a veteran until later in his life.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dr.Nipps
    So tonight one of my closest friends started giving away his Iraq and Afghanistan combat/uniform gear. Most of which would have fetched a lot of dollars on open market, but no matter what I said he wouldn't hold on to it. I also found a flag that that he flew in Iraq and Afghanistan, but he persists on not posting it to any pole or wall to show its colors. Could these be signs of distress, and if so how long should I hold onto his personal belongings before he realises its real value?

Could be. Look for signs of depression.

I use something like this with my clients:
    http://www.agencymeddirectors.wa.gov/Files/depressionform.pdf

If you can, as naturally as you can, ask him about these things. It's pretty self-explanatory. Help him get treatment if it's necessary.

*Remember, I'm a therapist, but not your therapist or his. This is not professional advice.
  • Options
    Dr.NippsDr.Nipps Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh I couldn't just give him that form and tell him to fill it out. It would be kinda weird, but I do every now and then pressure him into talking about it. At least he is going to college with a 4.0! Just worried that he wants to give it all away.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dr.Nipps
    Oh I couldn't just give him that form and tell him to fill it out. It would be kinda weird, but I do every now and then pressure him into talking about it. At least he is going to college with a 4.0! Just worried that he wants to give it all away.

Sorry I did not mean to imply you should ask him to fill it out. Just be aware of those symptoms in your conversation with him and try to help him share whether he's experiencing any of them.

"Man, I'm hungry. Wanna go out for dinner tonight?"
    "I'm tired, I haven't been sleeping well."
    "Hey remember when we used to go ________? we should do that again this weekend."
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,494 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He may simply be closing a chapter of his life.

Sure, keep an eye on him for signs of something negative going on, but I would think a lot of us have gotten rid of items that remind us of things we would prefer to forget or at least not think about daily.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like he's disgusted instead of depressed to me! I would be if I had been fighting over there with a commander and chief in charge that doesn't care anything about his country that's let everything we fought for go right back like it was only worse.