In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Buying checks from somewhere beside your bank

JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
Yes, I still write a few checks a month. [:)]

I'm low and need some more checks. My bank charges $22 for a box (140 checks). I can get them online for 7 or 8 dollars with free shipping. Has anyone done this from the various printing services? Any problems? Any chance the check "bounces" because your bank gets pissed off at you for not buying from them? [:0]

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought from various places over the years, never a problem. I don't think I've EVER bought checks at the bank. They are stupid expensive.

Merc
  • Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have not bought from the bank in decades.

Even before the Internet I bought them by mail order for way less than the bank.
    formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I quit buying checks from my bank about 40 years ago. Never any problems. [:)]
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I needed to get some for my daughter from NFCU recently and they were 25 cents a check. I used to buy them three to a sheet for computer printing and probably still have 3/4 of a box of 1000 remaining (with an address I have not lived at in ten years and a bank that has been out of business for 8 or nine years. The routing number and account are still the same. They cash just fine. I bought them straight from Harland.
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great comments!

I have always wondered the same thing.

Now without trying to appear excessively lazy, does anyone have a website they use?

[:D]
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,717 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Harland.....my bank isn't a lot more than they are, so I bought them from my bank last time. If I think about it I'll check Harland's prices when I order again and get them from whoever is cheaper. I haven't found any service that is cheaper than Harland though.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I order my checks from Walmart:

http://www.walmartchecks.com/p/old-glory-checks/980#.Wcr8C69e7IU

I've never had any problems with these check, just be sure that your routing and account numbers are correct before placing your order.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Harland makes quality checks. (Some of the cheap checks tear when I try to tear along the perforations.) As long as the routing number & account number work, the checks are good. Your bank doesn't really care, they don't see the cancelled checks; they are processed by a clearing house that does it for all the banks.

I like the stage coach scene on the generic Wells Fargo checks; they don't charge me for them.

Neal
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    You could print your own if you knew all the right numbers to include. And you could even write it all out by hand on a napkin if you want.

A check is nothing more than a note from your mommy that you pinky swear to pay a bill.

Buy them from any reputable place. Pay as little as you can, IMO.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My bank doesn't charge for the checks BUT they do charge for shipping.
    A box of checks now will last me for years but I did recently buy one from those ads in the newspaper that was less than what the bank wants for shipping the "free" ones. I have done that before & never had a problem. If you worry about them having your acct information you must realize that anyone you write a check to has all that information from your check.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get mine from Identity Checks I believe. Mine have pretty pictures of war planes on them.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mail order- cheapest I've seen.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, you could print your own checks, but it's probably not a good idea. Checks & official documents are printed on "security paper" that has a printed surface layer that would be difficult to erase without being obvious. (Take a close look at Obama's altered birth certificate, & it's easy to see how it's been changed.)

Plus, you would need to change the font for the routing & account numbers to OCR (Optical Character Recognition), or they wouldn't scan.

Neal
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Haven't used a bank for 40 years; my credit union has FREE checking that pays .2% dividend, FREE savings account that pays .4% dividend, and Money Manager accounts that pay up to 1.4% dividend with a $1,000 minimum balance.
    Oh, and up to 120 checks per year for FREE.

PAY for checks? I think not.
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i get 200 free checks from my bank per year...thats plenty for what i use
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get mine from Bradford Exchange. Yea, I still write some checks and will until I die. Bradford checks are top quality imo, No problems.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can get them anywhere.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You don't imagine that the bank has a printing plant, do you? THEY buy them somewhere else and sell them to you - for a profit.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,024 ******
    edited November -1
    I haven't bought checks from my banks in many years.

No problems.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    free checks from my bank[:0]